Imperial vs Metric System (Is USA the only place still using it?)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The imperial system is far from dumb. The units actually have meaning behind them. It's not defined as a random fraction of something very intangible by some organization in a foreign country that may not exist in 50 years. Using metric is a testament to the lack of sovereignity of a country.
The US converts from metric for their imperial units, and has done for decades. Not sure about the others.

What meaning do they have? I would not be surprised if more than 90% of the population has never seen a barleycorn (three of them to an inch you know), and a foot was variable between towns and cities for many centuries before people decided that was a stupid idea, some even tried to base it on various monarchs.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
This really reminds me of the book "Good omens" by Pratchett & Gaiman. I can't find a direct quote on it, but it somewhere has some similar listing (about money, IIRC), followed by something in the likes of "Britons have always refused to use the metric system because it was deemed too complex." :P

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Coming from an european country using anything but the metric system doesn't look and feel natural to me. Of course I'm biased (for obvious reasons) but the metric system seems the best and most accurate one, fits my style of measuring things in addition to that.
I just don't get it how one would measure sizes in "inches" or distance in "miles" kinda awkward and lackluster.

Zhongtiao1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've found the imperial systrm makes more sense. For instance, if you're going 60 mph, you know you are going about a mile a minute. Easy math. Whereas with km, you'd be going 100km/h which about 1.3 km a minute (if my math is right). Mph is a lot simpler to figure out than km/h.

One benefit of imperial over metric.

Reactions: vinstage

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've found the imperial systrm makes more sense. For instance, if you're going 60 mph, you know you are going about a mile a minute. Easy math. Whereas with km, you'd be going 100km/h which about 1.3 km a minute (if my math is right). Mph is a lot simpler to figure out than km/h.

So for one particular instance that is not much of a speed limit anywhere (technically on UK motorways some vehicles, most surprising to most being the likes of work vans, are limited to it), especially not in the US if you ignore Hawaii, you have a simple metric (heh) you can use to gauge something and that makes the rest worth it?

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Well, with that in mind what about when you are going at 60km/h... How many miles a minute is that? /s

PS: kind of an arbitrary number.

Reactions: Quantumcat

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know I know “not an image board” ... but relevant. Umpire?

7FF7F873-FF01-4B9F-8CB2-AEE187AF31B1.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu: i have an issue with loading games on usb with usbloadergx on vwii. Is there anyone that can...