Homebrew I'm finally getting into Wii U modding, where do I start?

MaxiBash

Your Local Random Internet Geek
OP
Trophies
Website
trashbandatcootofficial.cardd.co
XP
Country
Netherlands
So after months thinking about if I should do it or not, I'm going to shoot myself in the foot and mod my main console: The Wii U.
I barely use it anymore and it's starting to collect dust on my entertainment center, but I have a couple of questions before I mod it:

1. Is there a way to make a complete NAND backup (including games, save data, ect), and will I be able to restore it?
2. Can I make induvidual backups of my Wii U games as well (e.g. in the same direction as Yet Another Blue Dump Mod and WAD files)?
and
3. Are there any disadvantages from modding my Wii U?

I would like that someone helps me who is well known to Wii U modding.
Anyway, thanks!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. yes, the mlc contains the games, but it's big. I believe you need a hardmod if something goes wrong.
2. it's more prudent to just use wii u usb helper to download games.
3. no, but read the warnings about cbhc if you go that route.

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've had a modded wii u for a couple of years now.
1. Yes, what the guy above said. Games and save data can be restored without a complete nand restore.
2. Yes you can dump your own discs and even digital downloads though I've only done the latter.
3. I guess if nintendo updates the wiiu then maybe, but the last update didnt change much. Otherwise I dont see any disadvantages compared to not modding.

Last edited by Zense,

MaxiBash

Your Local Random Internet Geek
OP
Trophies
Website
trashbandatcootofficial.cardd.co
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ah, I understand. I still have 32GB left on my backup drive, so I won't have any trouble with that.
I also read CFW is a thing, but what tools do you use for digital game backups and is it better to keep my games on the home menu or a backup loader?

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ah, I understand. I still have 32GB left on my backup drive, so I won't have any trouble with that.
I also read CFW is a thing, but what tools do you use for digital game backups and is it better to keep my games on the home menu or a backup loader?
So there are two ways you can go in order to boot your backups:
1. Loadiine. This is what you could call a backup loader. It has more compatibility issues and of course is not as snappy as the other option. Load times were slower for me compared to the home menu installed games.
2. Wupinstaller gx2. This app installs your backups to your wii u menu, either on nand or usb device, as if it were an eshop downloaded game. I went with this and it works very well.

So home menu is definetely best. It is also snappier than loadiine since you can just boot your wii u and run the game.

Reactions: MaxiBash

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s