Gamemaster1379

OP
Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: Erm, as it turns out--putting absolutely any sort of microSDXC in it solves the problem? The unit just underwent an FPGA update, so it's unlikely it's a fake unit (or if it is, it's a quality copy)

Got a Gateway in today, and having some difficulties with it. The unit came from ModchipsDirect. I ordered from there as I got my original Gateway unit from them and it has worked fantastically. However, this secondary unit is having an issue.

The new unit I got in today is acting unusually. Whenever it is inserted into either my 3DS or my brother's 3DS, the unit "shorts out". It makes a popping sound and the unit immediately turns off. Attempting to restart the unit shows the LED coming on, and then the unit turns off again.

20150220_162257.jpg

A side by side photo of the Gateway units. On the left is the first flash cart I ordered a very long time ago. It works fine on either unit. On the right is the second flash cart I ordered more recently that has been shorting out. Visibly, the only difference I can pick up on is the logo on the right is different. It's darker and taller. However, I can't say for certain if this indicates fraudulent or just a different batch of branding stickers.

Again, both came from ModChipsDirect.

Do I need to tell them I got a fraudulent unit and ask for a refund?

Fulcaire

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
When I ordered my Gateway, I ordered from ModChipDirect as well. First one I received was faulty and kept showing a black screen when I was doing all steps correct to setting it up.
Took about 3-4 weeks to go through getting it replaced.. but the one I finally got worked.
( Because I had to 1. Ship Mine Back 2. They shipped replacement as soon as I shipped mine out and gave them tracking number. 3. USPS lost it. 4.Had to request ANOTHER one and have them call USPS cause it was lost by them. 5. There "shipper" person was busy and couldn't ship it out until a week and a half - two weeks after the USPS lost it. Then FINALLY, i got it..)
It was truly, a mess. But MCD did everything they could and replied to my emails promptly. Usually fast with shipping too. so they aren't a shady business. its just i had a terrible experience with getting my Gateway.

Tjessx

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I should send gateway an email, with the picture, and the question if they changed colors on the stickers

Gamemaster1379

OP
Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
When I ordered my Gateway, I ordered from ModChipDirect as well. First one I received was faulty and kept showing a black screen when I was doing all steps correct to setting it up.
Took about 3-4 weeks to go through getting it replaced.. but the one I finally got worked.
( Because I had to 1. Ship Mine Back 2. They shipped replacement as soon as I shipped mine out and gave them tracking number. 3. USPS lost it. 4.Had to request ANOTHER one and have them call USPS cause it was lost by them. 5. There "shipper" person was busy and couldn't ship it out until a week and a half - two weeks after the USPS lost it. Then FINALLY, i got it..)
It was truly, a mess. But MCD did everything they could and replied to my emails promptly. Usually fast with shipping too. so they aren't a shady business. its just i had a terrible experience with getting my Gateway.

USPS blows. I'd much rather use UPS. USPS has lost two packages of mine in the past year. One of which was a mouse, which they lost and reported lost specifically at a warehouse in Georgia, claiming it was still there. (So apparently they knew exactly where it was, but "lost" it?) They also took 9 weeks to ship a replacement CPU fan for my desktop that had 3 shipping on it once. Those were an awful two months in waiting.

That does sound pretty awful, but yeah, I'm not pointing the finger at MCD here. It passed an FPGA update, and has no PCB board or other inconsistencies. A sticker is hardly merit enough to call fake on. They have always been prompt about shipping and errors, so I have no complaints.

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Gateway sure is a faulty/buggy piece of hardware but the shortening sounds are a bit too much, replace yeah.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Gateway sure is a faulty/buggy piece of hardware but the shortening sounds are a bit too much, replace yeah.
No more or less than any flash cart is. They're all pretty cheap-feeling because they're pretty much all made in China. You just have to hope you don't get one DOA like you would with a HDD or GPU.

eggsample

punahussy
Trophies
Website
eggsample.pl
XP
Country
Poland
Don't worry about colors.
From batch to another could be some differences between labels. It's normal.
In the middle is my latest batch which is a bit brighter than labels form January.
IMG_20150221_151423.jpgIMG_20150221_151448.jpg
Distributor sends too much labels sometimes ;)
Seldom less :/

Reactions: 2Hack

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1