IGN: Should Sony Abandon the PSP?

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by SPH73, Jan 9, 2010.

?

Should Sony Abandon the PSP

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. IGN sucks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Jan 9, 2010
  1. SPH73
    OP

Banned SPH73 Banned

United States
    http://psp.ign.com/articles/105/1059453p1.html

Painful truth or disgusting flame bait?

You decide!

2. macgeek417

Member macgeek417 妁眼のシャナ

United States
    DSses are MUCH better than the PSP.

3. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    flamebait me thinks. psp's finally got a solid list of games out. and a fair few decent looking titles to come. no reason to abandon it at this stage.

4. ap831

Banned ap831 Banned

United States
    psp has had no worthwhile releases in a very long time. upcoming game list is barren.

5. Feels Good Man

Member Feels Good Man GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    inb4****storm from PSP and DS fanboys

Keep it clean, guys.

6. GameDragon

Member GameDragon Mugiwara RAWR!

United States
    Overall, I find the PSP a pretty boring handheld in my opinion. The PSP Go didn't help out at all. Wouldn't bother me at all if Sony decided to ditch it.

7. ENDscape

Member ENDscape REBORN! I will post with my Dying Will!!!

Philippines
    I don't know whats worst, a drought of games or a storm of shovelware.

8. Feels Good Man

Canada
    Also:

wat

9. silleeel

Newcomer silleeel Advanced Member

United States
    IGN chat balls! Sony shouldnt drop the PSP because its "affecting" there focus on making the Playstation 3 the number 1 console system out there! If anything they should drop the PSP because its library of games is shit poor!! Compare it the other competitor handheld out there the DS you'll see how bad this catalog actually is!

And its frustrating aswell as the PSP is obviously the better handheld (hardware wise) but the DS pwns it when it comes down to must have games!

And as for the affect of the PSP on the PS3, Nintendo has a better handheld plus the number 1 selling console on the market today! The Wii is obviously the No 1 console name of choice to the casual gamer (my nan and grandad own a Wii for gods sake!!) not the Xbox like IGN stated above, so if Nintendo can have a succesful handheld and console at the same time why cant Sony!?

10. Feels Good Man

Canada
    Errr... the PSP has many good games. Do you own one and have played through them?

All in all, stop presenting your opinion as facts.

11. FireEmblemGuy

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    The way I see it, each handheld has it's own strengths and weaknesses, and that's before factoring in brand-specific advantages. The PSP is capable of higher-def widescreen graphics and more powerful processing, strengthened by Sony's back catalog of PSX games. The DS is slightly more portable, cheaper, and has the touchscreen for an added level of interactivity, backed up, in some models, by the ridiculously large back library of GBA games and Nintendo's generally family-friendly stance. With the price difference being nearly negligible, it's generally up to the library, and that's where it starts to become more a problem with developer support, as most games that don't use the DS's touch sreen can be ported over to the PSP fairly easily. Sony's only real problem was the fact that they couldn't compete in terms of price early on, especially with the new-model-per-year thing they've gotten into, and now it's seeming like the devs are seeing that the market for M-rated PSP games isn't quite as high as it should be, and with Go compatibility limited to PSN, it's problematic giving Sony pretty much full control over pricing too.

Anyways, the way I see it is that neither handheld is inherently better than the other. Sony could start making some money if they reminded people that it was still there, the marketing campaign has been nearly non-existent, and even just a commercial campiagn showing off the PSX catalog would help pull back some older gamers who might not have been so informed about it. I'm just impressed that Sony's held out as long as they have, they're easily the most successful competitors Nintendo's handheld market has seen.

12. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    This.

Sure the DS has a lot games, but more then half of it is shovelware. The PSP doesn't have a lot of shovelware but it has lack of games but that's changing now. So I don't think Sony should abandon the PSP, at least not yet.

13. Feels Good Man

Canada
    I also lol @ people who put "yes". IGN is a horrible gaming site and you guys need to find a better place to look up gaming articles and reviews. It's been crap for a while and looks like it's going to stay like it.

14. macgeek417

Member macgeek417 妁眼のシャナ

United States
    The PSP is the most successful, non Nintendo handheld.

15. faith696

Newcomer faith696 Newbie

Indonesia
    PSP games have been pretty good lately (P3P, PSP2, KH:BBS, and the coming FFXIII Agito), so I see no reason to abandon PSP.

16. Skyline969

Member Skyline969 MENUdo Afficionado

Canada
    +1.
    The PSP may have a limited library, but a lot of the games are amazing. Naming 5 off the top of my head:
    1. Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
    2. God of War: Chains of Olympus
    3. Dissidia: Final Fantasy
    4. Resistance: Retribution
    5. Monster Hunter (series)

17. Maverick_z

Member Maverick_z When did i join again??

Canada
    well seeing that a certain KH game is released i would think that it will put a dent in hardware sales. Even if it is only one game it should help and make sony never to think of this again (maybe for the GO)

18. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    the psp is pretty non existent here i never see any1 with 1 or even looking at the psp sections in the shops [​IMG]

19. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    In my opinion, Sony should not abandon the PSP. Right after the release of the PSPGo, why abandon the PSP now? It's in competition against the DS and DSi. If they give up now, it is like giving away money to Nintendo.

Sigh.... Feels Good Man made a really good point on what you just said. Your whole post was based on your OPINION or the OPINIONS of others on what they say about games. Hardware wise, the PSP is more powerful then the DS. Sure games on the DS are more wanted, but those are just the games on the DS. Have you considered what the PSP is capable of doing? It can emulate numerous amounts of emulators on the PSP because it is more powerful then the DS. The DS is only limited to emulating some emulators without the use of an extra device [ie. to emulate GBA games it requires a RAM expansion. but the iPlayer does not require the extra ram because the flashcart itself is powerful enough to emulate it].

20. silleeel

Newcomer silleeel Advanced Member

United States
    Yep and its been gathering dust on top of my chest of drawers for over a month and a half now!

The last game released that i thought was must have was Patapon 2 and that got released over 9 months ago! The only other games that got released last year that id consider any good was Dissidia and Little Big Planet (and this was just a port of a PS3 game).