IGN buys 1UP

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Terminator02, May 6, 2011.

May 6, 2011

IGN buys 1UP by Terminator02 at 2:55 AM (2,333 Views / 0 Likes) 29 replies

1. Terminator02
    OP

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    [​IMG]
    I have some incredibly exciting news to share with you today. UGO Entertainment, including 1UP.com, was acquired by IGN Entertainment in a deal that creates what is by far the Internet's largest network of gaming and entertainment websites. This is huge news for 1UP on a whole bunch of levels, but most importantly for us in that it unites (what we think) some of the best in gaming editorial under one umbrella. It's a really exciting time for us.

But obviously, the first question on a lot of peoples' minds is: what does this mean for 1UP? Well, outside of now being part of the leading entity for games coverage, which affords us with all sorts of benefits, it means we have a corporate parent that truly understands what we do and wants to help us do more of it.

Put simply, IGN is a company that was founded on a passion for games. And they love 1UP. Those are great things.

I know how on the outside it might seem that websites like 1UP and IGN are bitter enemies, but the reality is that we're actually good friends (and in some cases even former coworkers). We're virtually neighbors in San Francisco and regularly see each other at events and game industry gatherings. I've known many of the guys at IGN for over a decade now.

And though we're just beginning to figure out how we can collaborate, I think IGN genuinely understands the passionate community that exists here and would love nothing more than to see it grow even bigger.

So in my mind, this is a great match. I know I speak for the entire 1UP team in saying that we're genuinely thrilled about this news. Of course, a lot of you will still have questions or concerns -- that's completely natural any time there's a change in ownership like this. And we'll be creating threads on the boards to discuss those as well as hosting a special live call-in episode of Games, Damnit! to address things on air. But honestly, talk is one thing. I'd rather let time be the ultimate judge of how 1UP will flourish as a part of IGN Entertainment.

So I hope all of you will join us in celebrating today. This is a big step for 1UP and its team, and we're eager to show you why in time. And as always, we truly thank you for your trust and support. You've stuck with us through much over the years, and it's great to have so many dedicated fans who truly believe in what 1UP represents and call this place home. Thank you so much.

And I guess on a personal level, as someone who once ran an affiliate site of IGN's back in the late '90s, I have to say, after all this time, it's nice to be back.[/p]
    [​IMG] Source (1up)

ugh, this sucks

2. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    Oh that's just great............

And now 1up will suck.....

3. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    IGN's reviews are too flawed for me to care about them as a whole. It does suck that 1UP's team has to join in now. But hopefully they will help raise IGN's credibility a bit.

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    So is this like Best Buy buying Greek Squad?

5. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    I guess it's like that, though I don't know how that merger went.

6. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    They fired the people that knew what they were talking about and basically started to fail at life.

7. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Could be worse, could be GameSpot acquiring them.

1up sucked anyways. It has for a long time.

8. Sheimi

Member Sheimi A cute Vixen!

Japan
    -Has a heart attack and dies-
    I could never get on 1up. Long loading times >_>

9. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    1UP was one of the more decent review sites out there. Odds are the IGN buyout will just make them really shitty as they'll have all the bad influence from IGN spilling into them.

Oh well, I still got Eurogamer.

10. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    As long as the daily Twitter contests are still running, I could care less. [​IMG]

11. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

I get the sense this could probably make 1UP more like IGN rather than make IGN more like 1UP, but I don't tend to follow the reviews or anything anyway so it's not exactly for me to say which is better or have much of an opinion on either of them, really. [​IMG]

12. Gullwing

Member Gullwing Synesthete

Greece
    Wut? Greek? [​IMG]

13. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

Noooooooooo! [​IMG]
    Another unreliable source.....

14. 8BitWalugi

Member 8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

Australia
    This.

It actually does annoy me when people play on those words. Being Greek myself, I sometimes find it mildly offensive.

But this was a typo, let's not make fun of the Rydian.

15. JinTrigger

Member JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

United States
    There goes the 1up neighborhood

16. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Just because IGN is buying 1up doesn't mean 1up will turn into another IGN (I never visit 1up or IGN anyway so I couldn't care less)

Unless IGN fires everyone at 1up.
    EDIT: Oh God what the fuck, just visited 1ups main page.
    WHY IS THERE TONS OF CRAP? It is IGN after all.

17. Gullwing

Member Gullwing Synesthete

Greece
    You're Greek? I mean where you born in Greece or your family roots are from Greece?

18. InuYasha

Member InuYasha Professional Coke Fiend

United States
    or coke buying pepsi...

19. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I kinda stopped bothering with 1up after they changed their format and it got more confusing to navigate.

One thing I've noticed about many review sites, especially for DS games, is that it has become increasingly obvious that they don't actually play through most of the games they review. You can tell they only play maybe an hour of the game (if that much) before writing their reviews. Sometimes I think they get a hot sheet of bullet points to mention in their review from the developer without ever having actually played the parts they're talking about. Half the time, they don't even bother with gameplay vids anymore unless it's one of the really popular games. Then of course, there's the payoffs.

I just use popular review sites to get an idea of what the game might be like and generally IGNore the reviewer's opinions. But then again, I tend to have drastically different opinions on most games than the general consensus anyway, jaded gamer that I've become.

20. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    Meh, I don't use nor am I active on either of them and never planned on being active on them