Hacking iEDGE or Acekard 2i

TheSledge

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello, I am trying to decide which of these cards to get.

I currently have an R4 with Wood R4. I can get both iEDGE and the Acekard 2i for the same price of £12.99 here in the UK.

Unless someone knows where to get a CycloDS Evolution at a very reasonable price?

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
RebornX said:
i recomend you to buy an Acekard it s better than an iEDGE cause iEDGE is a clone T_T
clone of Cyclo you mean.At least its decent
smile.gif

Miser

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Why do you need another card if you already have R4 + Wood?
Neither of these cards have anything over R4 other than DSi/SDHC support. Since you also mention Cyclo, I guess you don't need DSi support.
If you're looking for an upgrade from your R4, I recommend Supercard DSTwo

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Miser said:
Why do you need another card if you already have R4 + Wood?
Neither of these cards have anything over R4 other than DSi/SDHC support. Since you also mention Cyclo, I guess you don't need DSi support.
If you're looking for an upgrade from your R4, I recommend Supercard DSTwo

Those are big features. Plus the DSTwo is a lot more pricey compared to the Acekard and iEDGE.

Like I said in another topic before, if someone is trying to decide between pizza and burgers don't just yell out "Get tacos! They're my favorite!"

Also he said "Unless someone knows where to get a CycloDS Evolution at a very reasonable price?", which leads me to believe the DSTwo is a little over priced for him.

coattails

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Delta, at least Miser attempted to answer the OP's question, you didn't even bother to try -_-

Although I don't own an iEDGE, from what I hear its firmware simply just isn't as good as AKAIO's. The EDGE team releases compatibility updates on occasion, but they do so usually long after (usually a week) AKAIO has already received updates. I also believe that AKAIO has a slightly nicer/quicker/user-friendly interface than the EDGE's

Functionality-wise, both carts are basically barebones kits that only play roms. However, The iEDGE has a bootstrap firmware that can be updated any DS/DSi regardless of firmware, while the Acekard2i's bootstrap can only be updated on on a DS that is NOT a 1.4U DSi. I doubt any of these apply to you since I am assuming you own a DS lite.

One of the bigger advantages the iEDGE has over the Acekard2i is build quality. Some Acekard2i's suffer from contact issues after a couple of months of usage. On the other hand, the iEDGE has basically the best build quality out of any DSi cart on the market.

Overall, I think the Acekard2i is better cart than the iEDGE, simply because of AKAIO, but it isn't better by that big of a margin.

Just a word of warning: AKAIO and Wood R4 are basically freaking identical. If you are buying an Acekard expecting to get something new, you aren't. The only features you gain from going from an R4 to an Acekard is DSi/SDHC compatibility like Miser said. With Wood R4, the R4 is actually one of the best carts on the market right now for compatibility, so don't be fooled by its old age. Maybe you should invest in a bunch of 2GB microSD's instead?

TheSledge

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks all that have replied so far..

I'm still new to these different cards, regardless of how much research I've done it would never beat anyone who has had hands on experience with different ones.

The main reason I picked up an R4 was because it was the first one I've heard about, I had some 2gb sd cards sitting around & it was very inexpensive.

SDHC is a feature I'm most looking for in a better DS card, mostly because I just want to take my DS & not have to worry about losing a 15mm x 11mm x 1mm card.

I might be wrong in my assumption of how Real Time Save works on the Cyclo; I can save in the middle of a gaming session & play another game without losing progress in my previous game. But it would be a nice feature to have.

No, I'm not worried about DSi support really, as my DS is a Lite which I should of stated.

I can get an iEDGE or Acekard 2i for £12.99 (about $18) at Bargain Pile

Are either worth the 2x/3x the price of a EDGE or Acekard? if so, does anyone on GBAtemp who is from the UK know of a decent place to get either a CycloDS Evolution or Supercard DSTwo? because most places I seem to come across seem dodgy.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
TheSledge said:
I can get an iEDGE or Acekard 2i for £12.99 (about $18) at Bargain Pile

Are either worth the 2x/3x the price of a EDGE or Acekard? if so, does anyone on GBAtemp who is from the UK know of a decent place to get either a CycloDS Evolution or Supercard DSTwo? because most places I seem to come across seem dodgy.
If you want the DSTWO I would buy it from ShopTemp they are affilated with GBAtemp which means you know you aren't going to get scammed. Not only does it have Real Time Save, once it gets going the additional built in processor will be a gold mine for homebrew/ emulators. It will also be able to use this additional processor forplaying back movies etc.

If you aren't fussed about emulation/ movie playback, then you can get the DSONEi instead. It has the same Real Time Save, but without the built in additonal processor.

I wouldn't however buy anything from bargainpile as it's a retailer i've never heard of, there are clones of both the Acekard 2i and iEdge floating around.

If I was buying from the UK, I would purchase from 7DayShop. They have been around for years and are well known. I brought 2 Acekard 2i's from them earlier in the year and they were genuine. They want £11.99 for the Acekard 2i and £10.99 for the iEdge

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
coattails said:
Delta, at least Miser attempted to answer the OP's question, you didn't even bother to try -_-

Yes, however you does that in every single god damn topic he's in.

However I would suggest the Acekard over the iEDGE. I have both and the iEDGE is very dull compared to the Acekard.

The one good thing about the iEDGE is that it has good build quality.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: