Identifying Clone Help

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by DethDonald, May 26, 2011.

May 26, 2011

Identifying Clone Help by DethDonald at 11:23 PM (1,037 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. DethDonald
    OP

Newcomer DethDonald Member

United States
    I have came here once before asking for help with installing firmware onto my R4 and was happy with the help I obtained. Sadly I did learn that my R4 was a clone [​IMG]. Now this hasn't been a problem until recently. The website that provides my clone with updates would update every so often and I've never really needed recent games to work so urgently but now I realize that this cards support sucks. I can't even get a couple of recent games and even older games, that it states to be able to run, to run properly with their corresponding Hex patches. I tried looking through the already existing R4 clone threads trying to discover what alternative firmware I could use but to no avail.

So here comes the question! What is my R4 a clone of and what alternative firmware can I run on it?

I'll provide some information on it of course.

I have the R4SDHC
    Website that was listed on the box (also where I get the updates): http://r4rts.com/
    Folder Structure that comes with its firmware and updates (Tried to upload a screenshot but my Internet doesn't want to let me):

(Folder) _system_
    (Folder) extendskins
    (Folder) moonmemo
    (Folder) moonshl2
    _DS_MENU.DAT
    _DS_MENU.SYS
    _DS_MSHL.NDS
    LanguageSelect.nds
    LOADER.ENG
    moonshl2_DirectBoot.nds

If there is anything else that I should provide just ask.

Thanks for the help!

2. kirbymaster101

Member kirbymaster101 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
  3. DethDonald
    OP

United States
    Just downloaded. I'm going to give it a shot. Hope it works!!!

4. DethDonald
    OP

United States
    Alright, I tried every single version that was provided in the zip from RetroGameFan.

The R4_Clone YSMenu seems to get the closest to working correctly... But doesn't. When First booted up it gives me the errors:

can't load l2u
    can't load font
    can't load ini
    loading game list...
    No Flash in Slot2
    DLDI - R4_I
    ready.

When I try to boot a game or homebrew on it I get the message:

UNKNOWN_DLDI_TYPE

The only other version that can get farther then the loading screen is the M3Real_M3iZero YSMenu. It has a similar error but different.

can't load l2u
    can't load font
    can't load ini
    loading game list...
    No Flash in Slot2
    DLDI - M3DS
    ready.

When I try to boot a game with this one I get the error:

NO_BOOT_LOADER

The bottom screen displays some more information:

DLDI = M3DS
    C3JE PROFES~1.NDS

Any ideas? Am I missing something?

Edit: Forgot to mention the R4SDHC one only gave me a black screen. This is the one that I would assume to be the most likely to work. Formating now with SDFormatter and giving it a second chance. I'll inform everyone if this works as to not leave an open subject.

Edit2: Nope a failure.

Edit3: A breakthrough! R4_Clone YSMenu boots properly without any error... Untill you try to boot a game. I then get the error:

Unsuported DLDI Name

Damn DLDI, I searched my through my firmwares files and couldn't find a single DLDI file. Do I need to download one to get this to work or something? It seems like something pretty crucial to not have come standard with a firmware.

5. DethDonald
    OP

United States
    Alright! I got it running! With some in depth searching through thtis website I discovered that my card isn't a R4 clone but an M3 clone. Some fiddeling with some files, formating, downgrading, updating I got it working with the M3Real_M3Izero YSMenu. Finally...

No need for any help now. Thanks to KirbyMaster and anyone who even read my thread. Its time for some gaming.

6. kirbymaster101

Member kirbymaster101 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    wait are u booting an nds or using it as replacement firmware?

7. DethDonald
    OP

United States
    I was booting the YSmenu file through the firmware that came with my card the whole time.

8. Apollo213

Newcomer Apollo213 Newbie

Canada
    Hi - sorry to bring up an older post, but I have the same R4 clone and I'm very interested in what you did to get this working with the M3Real_M3Izero YSMenu. Can you provide steps please?