Homebrew [Idea] Patch DS VC titles to connect with DS for multiplayer

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering the Wii and by extension the Wii U is capable of wirelessly connecting with a Nintendo DS, would it be possible to have the DS VC titles send out a signal when trying to play DS games in multiplayer to connect with DSs, in essence having the Wii U be recognized as another DS?

I'd imagine that in theory this is possible, but I've also noticed a lack of research in the homebrew community in regard to the Wii connecting with DS, so i imagine that it'd be incredibly difficult to figure out how to get it working in such a way at this point. Shame Nintendo didn't just officially do this with the actual VC DS games.

D

Deleted User

TBH I think if Nintendo did want to implement multiplayer with Virtual Console titles, it would likely be with other Virtual Console users through Nintendo Network (an internet service). It doesn't seem likely that Nintendo would officially program the Wii U to communicate with a legacy console such as the DS.

Nothing is impossible, though. The hard part here would probably be performing IOSU-side patches to extend the 3DS communication support to support the regular DS, and then patching the VC title to allow this (or making a new emulator from scratch). (I'm probably still missing some details in this regard.)

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TBH I think if Nintendo did want to implement multiplayer with Virtual Console titles, it would likely be with other Virtual Console users through Nintendo Network (an internet service). It doesn't seem likely that Nintendo would officially program the Wii U to communicate with a legacy console such as the DS.

Nothing is impossible, though. The hard part here would probably be performing IOSU-side patches to extend the 3DS communication support to support the regular DS, and then patching the VC title to allow this (or making a new emulator from scratch). (I'm probably still missing some details in this regard.)

True, but keep in mind you can officially use a 3DS as a DS as well and play multiplayer DS games right from your 3DS. So while the DS is a legacy system and was even while the Wii U was alive and kicking and releasing these DS VC titles, there was still a huge audience (likely nearly every Wii U owner if you think about it) that owned a 3DS, which they could have connected with the Wii U in theory for multiplayer DS games. So I don't think the idea would have been without merit for Nintendo to have implemented at the time. Though they didn't, so yeah, thats certainly not a good sign in that respect.

But yeah, I'm thinking it is possible, but not something that could easily be implemented or figured out quickly by the people that know what they're doing. Still my gut tells me that with in the right hands this could be accomplished.

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Mondooooo, there was a power outage while you were sleeping?