Hacking [IDEA] Launch a minimal CFW (like SaltFW) if no arm9loaderhax binary is found on SD

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
can't you just adjust the ncsd partition table to take up a small section of the twl partition, iirc the partition table has the offset and size so you could just shrink the twl partition and create a small void for housing the payload, although i have always liked the idea of the extra 700mb on some n3ds consoles being put to use, but i guess all these things are taking the system further and further from the original stock setup

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Pokéidiot

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, I will try ShadowNAND's solution to test my stage2 mod myself. Some users are saying that it's better to load a binary from CTRNAND. For those, I have good news: I created a folder on my sysNAND CTRNAND partition and nothing bad happened. Space will not be problem since ... a9lh payloads are small enough.

Reactions: gamesquest1

xXDungeon_CrawlerXx

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I will try ShadowNAND's solution to test my stage2 mod myself. Some users are saying that it's better to load a binary from CTRNAND. For those, I have good news: I created a folder on my sysNAND CTRNAND partition and nothing bad happened. Space will not be problem since ... a9lh payloads are small enough.
it isn't a problem to add custom files into CTRNAND. Just added a txt called "HowToTrollNintendo.txt" some months ago and nothing bad happened.

Reactions: Luigi64

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

It's not space that others are worried about, it's fragmentation, apparently (you'd think FIRM would be intelligent enough to deal with it, but I guess this is Nintendo code we're dealing with).

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can't you just adjust the ncsd partition table to take up a small section of the twl partition
The NCSD header (including the encrypted TWL MBR) is signed. Any modifications would cause a Boot ROM error.

(Sidenote: The O3DS NCSD injection used for 2.1 downgrades on N3DS work because it's using a valid NCSD header from an O3DS, so the signature passes verification.)

Pokéidiot

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The NCSD header (including the encrypted TWL MBR) is signed. Any modifications would cause a Boot ROM error.

(Sidenote: The O3DS NCSD injection used for 2.1 downgrades on N3DS work because it's using a valid NCSD header from an O3DS, so the signature passes verification.)
For patching signature checks at a level like that, we need a bootrom exploit.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
yeah i figured with it being on a9lh sig checks would be bypassed anyway, or are those verified prior to a9lh kicking in?

if thats not possible i guess sticking it inside twl/ctr FS will probs be for the best then

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Pokéidiot

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
yeah i figured with it being on a9lh sig checks would be bypassed anyway, or are those verified prior to a9lh kicking in?

if thats not possible i guess sticking it inside twl/ctr FS will probs be for the best then
A9LH isn't a bootrom exploit. A9LH is a pre-kernel (firmware loader) exploit.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm going to redo my A9LH mod, but I fell that I will need to borrow lots of code.

Jawertae

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not space that others are worried about, it's fragmentation, apparently (you'd think FIRM would be intelligent enough to deal with it, but I guess this is Nintendo code we're dealing with).

If there is one thing nintendo strives for, its stability.

Shadowhand

Slim, Alternative Dev.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If that's out, then could we not examine how much unused space there is in a typical NAND (being out of the boundaries of CTRNAND's free space/max size, of course) and install our own small FAT12 or FAT16 partition somewhere? If a common place could be agreed on, then I'd think support for it could easily be added to tools like GM9.
That is technically possible, but (don't quote me on this) some NAND types don't have extra available space on n3ds, and have no space on o3ds at all. I really find that it's safer to have the CFW in stage2 rather than somewhere else on the NAND.

Zan'

2F88744FEED717856386400A44BBA4B9CA62E76A32C715D4F
Trophies
XP
Country
That is technically possible, but (don't quote me on this) some NAND types don't have extra available space on n3ds, and have no space on o3ds at all. I really find that it's safer to have the CFW in stage2 rather than somewhere else on the NAND.
Even the snallest o3DS chip (943MB) has about 1MB spare.
The problem is, it wont be that easy to simply create a new partition in the end because it msy possibly kill your data.
However you could use a NAND backup and put a partition you want properly aligned in the end and reflash that NAND backup, which would basically give you exactly that.

Shadowhand

Slim, Alternative Dev.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Even the snallest o3DS chip (943MB) has about 1MB spare.
The problem is, it wont be that easy to simply create a new partition in the end because it msy possibly kill your data.
However you could use a NAND backup and put a partition you want properly aligned in the end and reflash that NAND backup, which would basically give you exactly that.
That's still way too risky and there won't be a way to recover from brick without hardmod.

zekepliskin

Trophies
XP
Country
This is an interesting idea. I was thinking it might be nice to have something more basic though, i.e. if an SD card isn't inserted rather than black screen and console shutting down as it does now, how about a simple white text on black background message showing on the top screen :-

"Arm9LoaderHax.bin Not Found (No SD Card Inserted). Please Insert SD Card Containing Payload And Try Again."

Then after ten seconds or so it times out and shuts the console down.

Shadowhand

Slim, Alternative Dev.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is an interesting idea. I was thinking it might be nice to have something more basic though, i.e. if an SD card isn't inserted rather than black screen and console shutting down as it does now, how about a simple white text on black background message showing on the top screen :-

"Arm9LoaderHax.bin Not Found (No SD Card Inserted). Please Insert SD Card Containing Payload And Try Again."

Then after ten seconds or so it times out and shuts the console down.
*cough*

Reactions: The Catboy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)