Hacking [IDEA] Jak & Daxter Collection Overclocking For Better Framerate?

Mattzocrazy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey Guys, So Now That Vitamin Is Getting A Full Release (THANK YOU FLOW YOUR AMAZING DUDE) Does Anyone Think It Might Be Possible To Modify The EBOOT.PBP Of The Game To Enable A Feature Used Only By Borderlands Called 77MB Mode Which Adds An Extra 77MBs Of Ram However It Disables Some Apps While In Use, I Think It Might Get A Decently Playable Frame Rate! Jak And Daxter Is Such An Amazing Series And I Hope With Modding People Can Actually Experience It In A Playable Way lol, So Yeah What Do You Guys Think? (Also I Know I Capitalize Every Word Its A Habit _-_ )

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Guys, So Now That Vitamin Is Getting A Full Release (THANK YOU FLOW YOUR AMAZING DUDE) Does Anyone Think It Might Be Possible To Modify The EBOOT.PBP Of The Game To Enable A Feature Used Only By Borderlands Called 77MB Mode Which Adds An Extra 77MBs Of Ram However It Disables Some Apps While In Use, I Think It Might Get A Decently Playable Frame Rate! Jak And Daxter Is Such An Amazing Series And I Hope With Modding People Can Actually Experience It In A Playable Way lol, So Yeah What Do You Guys Think? (Also I Know I Capitalize Every Word Its A Habit _-_ )
Kinda hope this will be possible too. I'd love to see Corpse Party Blood Drive running smoothly. Everything in that game looks dang divine, but man does the torch lower the framerate.

Transdude1996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've noticed the even some games like Monster Monpiece have a framerate issue when "too much" is going on (It's just three little light shows, how can that cause a problem?).

Reactions: cearp

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm actually curious if the problem is due to compression more than cpu (though on the fly decompression of course causes more cpu usage) as anybody from the psp scene days would tell you that games ran like shit compressed (gta games being a BIG example of this even now currently on the vita as psn games are all compressed) but playing them as a pure uncompressed iso they ran amazingly yeah many people try to say it was due to the 222 clock up to 333 but you can test it clocked down to 222 and see the same performance when decompressed (unless of course the game itself is bottlenecked by cpu instead of compression)

reprep

Trophies
Website
melankolisavar.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Vitamin will let you use 444 mhz mode, it should solve some of the slowdowns compared to usual 333 mhz mode. This doesnt change the fact that this particular game was coded very badly and sony should be ashamed for asking money for it.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vitamin will let you use 444 mhz mode, it should solve some of the slowdowns compared to usual 333 mhz mode. This doesnt change the fact that this particular game was coded very badly and sony should be ashamed for asking money for it.
444mhz mode im pretty sure is only meant for the app itself not games

Mattzocrazy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Personally I Think The CPU Should Be Overclock-able Regardless As No System OCs To The Max On Stock Settings, If We Can Tinker With The EBOOTs We Should Be Able To Do Something Productive On That Front, Might Tax On The Battery A Bit But For Play-ability Sake I'd Say Its Worth It, Also Dude Your Totally Right, The Compression MIght Be So Heavy That Its Taking A Toll On The Framerate, Ugh The FMV On Like Level 9 Compressed CSO's Was Toxic, Someone Should Look Into How Heavily The VPK Actually Compresses The Files On Bigger Games, And Yeah The First J&D Game Was Litterally A Direct Port From The PS2, Has The Uneeded Rumble Functions And All

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah Vitamin's Offlicial Release Will Run Smoother But That Wont Change The Games It Dumps

Reactions: yuyuyup

Mattzocrazy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Jak And Daxter Also Doesnt Seem To Have Texture Scaling, Like Distancing Or Anything, That May Not Have Been A Problem For The PS2 But For The Vita... Well... I Wonder If We Could Edit The View Distance In The Eboot aswell....

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am pretty sure it is both in-app and for other games. The flow confirmed it. Though i cant be sure if the official release will include this feature or not.
all he confirmed is 444mhz support but never specified but said along with better compatibility which says to me its only to make games dump faster

garache

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mate Why Do You Have To Type Like This?

I dont think that overcloking the Vita will solve the framerates issues. No matter how powerful the device might be, if the port is badly executed, then you cant really do anything unless they patch it.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
how does vitamin let us do that?
vitamin is just a tool to dump... no?

the clock speed for the game is stored in the sfo or something, and vitamin lets us change this when we dump?

Mattzocrazy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Like i said its a habit lol ill try my best not to XD, but yeah u could be right, if its a direct port like everyone says then maybe we can look into jak and daxter modding on the ps2 if thats a thing lol, and yeah idk abour 2ghz that sounds like a bit much for a handheld, plus we'd need like watercooling haha

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
he confirms 444 mhz both for in-game playing and for dump. That is enough confirmation for me. https://twitter.com/theflow0/status/770533752774729728
ah missed that post guess they added a plugin to achieve that just hope it can be changed so waste of battery can be prevented

EDIT: the funny thing is I was playing a few games I dumped myself last night and I felt they were running faster so I pushed it off as a placebo effect BUT i just tried the original and dumped versions of a few of the games side by side and the dumped ones most definitely have better performance I wouldn't be surprised if steroid.prx is the plugin that achieves this even if he claims that its not in the current dumper yet

Last edited by deathblade200,

reprep

Trophies
Website
melankolisavar.blogspot.com
XP
Country
ah missed that post guess they added a plugin to achieve that just hope it can be changed so waste of battery can be prevented

EDIT: the funny thing is I was playing a few games I dumped myself last night and I felt they were running faster so I pushed it off as a placebo effect BUT i just tried the original and dumped versions of a few of the games side by side and the dumped ones most definitely have better performance I wouldn't be surprised if steroid.prx is the plugin that achieves this even if he claims that its not in the current dumper yet

It surely has a plugin system and 444 mhz is achieved via that. steroid as a plugin name perfectly fits the description of increasing the cpu mhz. It is another matter if it is active or not though.

how does vitamin let us do that?
vitamin is just a tool to dump... no?

the clock speed for the game is stored in the sfo or something, and vitamin lets us change this when we dump?

Vitamin allows plugins and these can change in-game cpu.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: oh shit where??? :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: