ROM Hack [Idea] 3DS Rom corrupting...?

wohdin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's my take on the whole idea of "corrupting" newer games.

The thing about newer games, in particular console games, is that they are *much* more complex than older games, and with each new generation, data gets obfuscated in more and more layers of complexity. Recently, consoles are much more rigid about checking for "problems" of any type during boot or during execution of a particular command, so ROM corruption would be difficult to pull off on the 3DS, and you would likely need a specialized tool for each individual game in order to have a corruption that would even boot, let alone not crash. And that's even before taking into consideration ROM validation checks, which are largely irrelevant at this point in the 3DS scene. But this also applies to pretty much anything from the previous or the current generation of home consoles.

The place where things actually could get interesting for corrupting (at least in the "art" perspective of corrupting for aesthetic/humorous purposes, like what Vinny does) is in plugins. Of course, we all know that Gateway now has the capability of live-editing the contents of RAM (for "cheating", but that's a pretty narrow-minded goal), so provided that you're already booted into a game, it's certainly doable. The question is whether or not someone will be able to write a plugin for the live corrupting of in-game data. Again, though, this kind of thing would probably need to be on a per-game basis, as each game is very different from the next, and you can't really just start randomly scrambling RAM and expect to last more than a few seconds. This is, again, due to the much higher level of complexity of newer games, compared to consoles like the NES/SNES/PS1, all of which generally, for the most part, utilized a pretty uniform and small set of system opcodes and were ultimately not very complex in terms of what they were doing with the processing power.

The real issue, though, is if Vinny will be willing to "hack" his 3DS for the sake of teh lulz.

Last edited by wohdin,

Dgabriel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I have a ntr plugin that corrupt games... I cant remember where i get it ...
Also hi, its my firts coment , but i been around for like a year XD
Sorry my English Im from chile

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170105-143324.png
    Screenshot_20170105-143324.png
    735 KB · Views: 124
  • Screenshot_20170105-143248.png
    Screenshot_20170105-143248.png
    151.1 KB · Views: 124
  • Screenshot_20161003-222245.png
    Screenshot_20161003-222245.png
    834.9 KB · Views: 119
Last edited by Dgabriel,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://wccftech-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/wccftech.com/amd-800-series-am5-motherboards-launch-r...