Hardware I was right about Switch's WiFi.

AshleyCummings

Gamer Girl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I seriously doubt it. Also, bear in mind that if you have any older devices that don't support N they won't be able to connect.

The Switch's networking is crap. Both wired and wireless. It all depends on if the Switch "likes" your router. Even if it does, expect the Switch to perform worse than any other device on your network.
Yea I learned this sadly my 3DS and 2DS don't suppot N but everything else in my home does .. and oh dear yea my router is literally right next to my bed o.o my home is small so my router is not thta far from my living room but id be using the switch mainly portable so i can just easily switch rooms

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea I learned this sadly my 3DS and 2DS don't suppot N but everything else in my home does .. and oh dear yea my router is literally right next to my bed o.o my home is small so my router is not thta far from my living room but id be using the switch mainly portable so i can just easily switch rooms

Poor range isn't the only issue. My router is three feet away from the Switch and download speeds are 1/5th the speed (20 Mbps down, if lucky) than any other device from that position. I currently have my Switch wired and it gets about 1/4th (30 Mbps down) the speed that it should. I tried the same gigabit LAN adapter on my laptop via USB 2.0 and I got 122 Mbps down. The same as any non Nintendo Switch wired device on my network.

The slow speeds might not really matter though. eShop downloads will be slow anyway (just like digital purchases on all consoles since Sony/MS/Ninty throttle downloads) and online multiplayer requires hardly any bandwidth. Unless your down/up speeds are stupidly slow you should be fine. They only thing of concern is if a bunch of packets are being dropped.

Good luck. If you do have any connection issues I wouldn't seek advice here. Too many fanboys who will blame it on your router/internet because they would never admit that any aspect of their plastic monolith is crappy.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Too many fanboys who will blame it on your router/internet because they would never admit that any aspect of their plastic monolith is crappy.
The main housing is clearly metal, thank you very much, and Switch performs fine on a 5GHz band. Any 5GHz band, router brand shouldn't matter. Slower than my PC obviously, but still fast enough to get a 16GB game in like 30 minutes, so it's hard to care that much. First-world problem if ever there was one.

Last edited by Xzi,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Unless I'm out and about at work where I can hop on my phones hotspot, my Switch stays docked at home to Ethernet. Beyond that, and having my switch on the DMZ, any further connection problems in Splatoon are on Nintendo's end.

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main housing is clearly metal, thank you very much, and Switch performs fine on a 5GHz band. Any 5GHz band, router brand shouldn't matter. Slower than my PC obviously, but still fast enough to get a 16GB game in like 30 minutes, so it's hard to care that much. First-world problem if ever there was one.

No shit? There's metal in there? I had no idea. Clearly I meant that the Switch had no RF shielding or heatsink. I also learned that it's not actually a monolith. This is a forum to discuss first world problems and interests (i.e. gaming consoles). If you don't like discussing first world problems then maybe you should go elsewhere. The Switch's network issues (poor range, speed) are widely reported. I'm familiar with how WiFi devices should perform on my network. The Switch has the worst range and speed of any device I've ever connected. My 802.11g devices perform better. Thanks for validating my statement.

Reactions: DarthDub and Zense

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
No shit? There's metal in there? I had no idea. Clearly I meant that the Switch had no RF shielding or heatsink. I also learned that it's not actually a monolith. This is a forum to discuss first world problems and interests (i.e. gaming consoles). If you don't like discussing first world problems then maybe you should go elsewhere. The Switch's network issues (poor range, speed) are widely reported. I'm familiar with how WiFi devices should perform on my network. The Switch has the worst range and speed of any device I've ever connected. My 802.11g devices perform better. Thanks for validating my statement.
Definitely didn't validate your statement, but okay. And yeah, gaming consoles might be primarily a first-world product, but that doesn't mean you need to add first-world complaints on top of that. It's just redundant at that point.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely didn't validate your statement, but okay. And yeah, gaming consoles might be primarily a first-world product, but that doesn't mean you need to add first-world complaints on top of that. It's just redundant at that point.

I was complaining about the poor network connectivity of the Nintendo Switch in the "Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware" section of a gaming forum. If this is not the correct place then please advise me as to where I should post about the Switch console, accessories and hardware, sir. Perhaps you should flag the OP's post since he is the one who started this first-world complaint thread.

No disrespect to any contributions you may have made to the community in the past. Right here, right now, you are being ridiculous. Suggesting that I shouldn't bring up hardware issues in a hardware forum because it's a first-world problem is asinine. Please direct any further stupidity to my inbox.

Thanks,

Andy

Reactions: DarthDub

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"My 802.11g devices perform better."
hope you are being sarcastic here , i mean you do know that having just one G device connected to your wifi network will slow the entire network down to G speed right

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
No disrespect to any contributions you may have made to the community in the past. Right here, right now, you are being ridiculous. Suggesting that I shouldn't bring up hardware issues in a hardware forum because it's a first-world problem is asinine. Please direct any further stupidity to my inbox.
I never said you shouldn't bring it up, I was only highlighting the ridiculousness of your hyperbole. It's an issue, I admitted that from the get-go, it's just not a big enough issue that it bothers most people. My Switch sits 20 feet away from the router through three thick walls and I've never had connection issues in games or downloads. That's not a suggestion that nobody has had issues at that range or with similar setups either, if that's what you were going to assume. I can only speak from my own experience.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: DocAmes1980

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hope you are being sarcastic here , i mean you do know that having just one G device connected to your wifi network will slow the entire network down to G speed right

No, I'm not being sarcastic. I actually didn't know that about G devices. However, I don't normally have G devices connected to my network. I dusted off a couple of old phones and an old laptop just to test speed and range. Besides, basically all my stuff is wired except my current laptop and cell phone which are both N devices.

Super.Nova

Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
I have a NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 and my Switch works pretty okay with it.
I can't tell speed-wise since my internet connection is slow as shit but for the very few times I tested it away from the router it couldn't connect.
I feel sorry for my router, I blamed it for this :(

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

only if your router doesn't have dual chips n dual internal antina. 95% of ac routers are dual systems. My fios router is. One signal is AC+/N and the other is n/g/b/a. I have thier names set differently as well. this way my consoles including the switch stay on the AC+/N. The switch, ps4 and xbox one all support ac, ac+ and n by the way.

Last edited by chartube12,

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 and my Switch works pretty okay with it.
I can't tell speed-wise since my internet connection is slow as shit but for the very few times I tested it away from the router it couldn't connect.
I feel sorry for my router, I blamed it for this :(

Try a 2.4 GHz network if you haven't already. 2.4 GHz networks offer less throughput but increased range over 5 GHz. If you have slow internet the loss of throughput probably won't affect you speeds anyway.

Super.Nova

Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Try a 2.4 GHz network if you haven't already. 2.4 GHz networks offer less throughput but increased range over 5 GHz. If you have slow internet the loss of throughput probably won't affect you speeds anyway.
Yeah I know.
Only problem is, not 2.4 nor 5 GHz access points show up even though I'm "directly" above it and there are windows everywhere.

I forgot to mention that every single other smart device works fine.
My phone gets wifi signal from the street and my router is on the fifth floor.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: +1