I want to Translate Japanese Games

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by joecrack57, Oct 13, 2008.

Oct 13, 2008
  1. joecrack57
    OP

Newcomer joecrack57 Member

United States
    can anyone point to the tools and what i need to know to start translating games from Japanese to English and everything in between that would help me and maximize my capabilities for translating a game.

thanks in Advance.

2. DarthNemesis

Member DarthNemesis GBAtemp Maniac

United States
  3. joecrack57
    OP

United States
    i'm learning with Rosetta Stone but i could also use google translations right?

4. Perseid

Member Perseid GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Dear God, no, you cannot use Google Translate. Have you used it much?

Not to discourage you from learning Japanese, but you'll most likely fall into the same category as the rest of us - people who have to wait and hope the game gets released in English.

5. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    no

please don't translate video games

6. joecrack57
    OP

United States
    i will translate for my self

7. kikuchiyo

Member kikuchiyo 大阪に生まれた男

United States
    Google translations are a language unto themselves.

8. DarthNemesis

Member DarthNemesis GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Then learn for yourself. Every game is different, so a huge part of romhacking is intuition - looking at files or code and figuring out how it all works. That's not the kind of thing that can be taught; it has to come from your own motivation.

You'll need dslazy to unpack the ROM and a hex editor to view the individual files, but everything beyond that relies on your intuition. Do the groundwork, then ask questions if you have a specific issue and people may be willing to help, but if you don't already have some coding knowledge or language proficiency, you need to build that first before you even think of taking on a translation project.

9. joecrack57
    OP

United States
    thank you very much for believing in me and i appreciate all the help DarthNemesis. thank you.

10. Harun85

Newcomer Harun85 Member

United States
    Short answer:
    Pick up some good books on Japanese. Rosetta stone is decent, but very rigid. Keep at it, and you'll be helping others with Japanese, as you progress with your own.

Long answer:
    Machine Translation is best left to Computer Science and Linguistics, NOT for language learning.
    Language is living and changing. MT needs PEOPLE to TEACH it. If you can't teach said engine, it's hopeless (and comic!).

With the Turing Test aside, a machine does not have the capability to pick up on nuances and sublties, as well as typos and mistakes in an original text LIKE A HUMAN DOES. [​IMG]

Quick Example: ???. A machine can't research like a human. Whatsmore, many times a Source Sentence just WILL not make sense in the Target Langauge with it's structure. So, HUMANS have the ability to REWORD and UNDERSTAND the CONTEXT of a text, or the tone and sense of a joke or wordplay. (Not to mention phonemimes or phsychomimes...)

Best of luck on your studies,

11. joecrack57
    OP

United States
    thanks for believing [​IMG]