ROM Hack I want to Translate Japanese Games

joecrack57

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can anyone point to the tools and what i need to know to start translating games from Japanese to English and everything in between that would help me and maximize my capabilities for translating a game.

thanks in Advance.

joecrack57

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
joecrack57 said:
can anyone point to the tools and what i need to know to start translating games from Japanese to English and everything in between that would help me and maximize my capabilities for translating a game.

thanks in Advance.
i'm learning with Rosetta Stone but i could also use google translations right?

Perseid

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dear God, no, you cannot use Google Translate. Have you used it much?

Not to discourage you from learning Japanese, but you'll most likely fall into the same category as the rest of us - people who have to wait and hope the game gets released in English.

joecrack57

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perseid said:
Dear God, no, you cannot use Google Translate. Have you used it much?

Not to discourage you from learning Japanese, but you'll most likely fall into the same category as the rest of us - people who have to wait and hope the game gets released in English.
i will translate for my self

DarthNemesis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
joecrack57 said:
i will translate for my self
Then learn for yourself. Every game is different, so a huge part of romhacking is intuition - looking at files or code and figuring out how it all works. That's not the kind of thing that can be taught; it has to come from your own motivation.

You'll need dslazy to unpack the ROM and a hex editor to view the individual files, but everything beyond that relies on your intuition. Do the groundwork, then ask questions if you have a specific issue and people may be willing to help, but if you don't already have some coding knowledge or language proficiency, you need to build that first before you even think of taking on a translation project.

Harun85

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
harun85.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
Short answer:
Pick up some good books on Japanese. Rosetta stone is decent, but very rigid. Keep at it, and you'll be helping others with Japanese, as you progress with your own.

Long answer:
Machine Translation is best left to Computer Science and Linguistics, NOT for language learning.
Language is living and changing. MT needs PEOPLE to TEACH it. If you can't teach said engine, it's hopeless (and comic!).

With the Turing Test aside, a machine does not have the capability to pick up on nuances and sublties, as well as typos and mistakes in an original text LIKE A HUMAN DOES.
smile.gif

Quick Example: ???. A machine can't research like a human. Whatsmore, many times a Source Sentence just WILL not make sense in the Target Langauge with it's structure. So, HUMANS have the ability to REWORD and UNDERSTAND the CONTEXT of a text, or the tone and sense of a joke or wordplay. (Not to mention phonemimes or phsychomimes...)

Best of luck on your studies,

joecrack57

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Harun85 said:
Short answer:
Pick up some good books on Japanese. Rosetta stone is decent, but very rigid. Keep at it, and you'll be helping others with Japanese, as you progress with your own.

Long answer:
Machine Translation is best left to Computer Science and Linguistics, NOT for language learning.
Language is living and changing. MT needs PEOPLE to TEACH it. If you can't teach said engine, it's hopeless (and comic!).

With the Turing Test aside, a machine does not have the capability to pick up on nuances and sublties, as well as typos and mistakes in an original text LIKE A HUMAN DOES.
smile.gif

Quick Example: ???. A machine can't research like a human. Whatsmore, many times a Source Sentence just WILL not make sense in the Target Langauge with it's structure. So, HUMANS have the ability to REWORD and UNDERSTAND the CONTEXT of a text, or the tone and sense of a joke or wordplay. (Not to mention phonemimes or phsychomimes...)

Best of luck on your studies,
thanks for believing
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-