I want a NDSi

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by JinTrigger, Nov 8, 2008.

Nov 8, 2008

I want a NDSi by JinTrigger at 8:31 PM (1,477 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. JinTrigger
    OP

Member JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

United States
    I as planning on getting on this christmas. Is there a place online I can order it and how much would it ct from overseas. It's still regionally unblocked right?

2. hankchill

Member hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Canada
    You can get it from play-asia, but it's $300. It's not worth it, for multiple reasons:
    a) Double the price you'd pay when it hits overseas
    b) It's JAPANESE ONLY
    c) You can play DS games from any region, but DSi Ware is region locked (so Japanese content only)

Why you'd waste your money on it right now, is beyond me.

3. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    It costs around 300$ to have it imported from overseas and yes, its region locked and theres no language setting other than Japanese. So unless you can read Japanese, I suggest you wait until it comes out in your region as you won't be able to play any other DSi games and application other than Japanese ones. Also the entire firmware and menu is in Japanese as well.

4. JinTrigger
    OP

United States
    [​IMG] oh.....Darn then I guess I"ll get a psp-3000 with my chrstmas money.....when is the DSi suppose to come a sailing over seas

5. hankchill

Member hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Canada
    They're saying around an August 2009 release date.

Edit: Narin got Ninja'd! [​IMG]

6. Lelouch

Member Lelouch GBAtemp Fan

United States
    hopefully the psp-3000 is hackable by then [​IMG]

7. berlinka

Member berlinka You have sustained a lethal injury.

Netherlands
    I just saw the video preview on IGN of the DSi. I really really really don't understand why people would prefer a camera and a slightly bigger screen over the GBA slot!!! I've said this before, I try to like this device, but even if I didn't have a DS Lite already, I would prefer a DSLite over an DSi. The "homebrewers" already can do music on their systems (and also mp3) and the camera gives you about 2 hours of gimmicky fun. I mean seriously, gooing peoples faces, and pitch bending your favorite tracks. That's fun for when you have this thing one day. Off course I predicted that one of the first games for it would have to be Wario Ware where they use the camera. And so they did! I have to say I'm intrigued by this idea, to combine the webcam with future games, but even then it will wear of pretty quickly.
    But hey, suit yourself, after all people nowadays seem to be more into "gadgets" than ever before.

8. inthegray

Newcomer inthegray Member

United States
  9. JinTrigger
    OP

United States
    I see your point if there is a way to hack it to have flashcart like abilities couldn't you use the internal memory it's suppose to have to play GBA games. I mean when I 1st heard about this I was kinda of etchy about it (the fact that it didnt have a GBA slot. I love the GBA) . I mean I know if I get one I'm only using it for the extras like camera, internet, and the player (Just like I would have done my psp until I learned it hackable like the DS).

10. gizmo_gal

Member gizmo_gal QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!

United States
    I have to also advise against getting it in Japanese. It will be cumbersome to use the features on it if you cant understand anything. Atleast wait until it is released in an English speaking place like Europe, to import it if its not out in the US by then.

I too cant understand why they took away the GBA slot. They could've kept it at the DSlites thickness and still put in their stupid cameras and crap and widened the screen.

They better let you download GBA games from some VC service to play on the DSi because I love GBA and am not giving it up for many years still to come.

11. MadBob

Member MadBob Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!

United Kingdom
    Is that the English speaking part of Europe called England [​IMG]

12. DjoeN

Member DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Belgium
    I got one from PlayAsia, but if you are not a die hard Ninty fan, i don't recommand it.

Why not and wait:
    - Japanese Only
    - Setting Up Wi-Fi is damned hard if you don't understand Japanese (Like i do, i don't understand a thing of it) and it always gives errors here.
    - No DSWare acces, so NO free DSi Webbroser and not the other free dsiware game
    - It only plays legal gamecards (have plenty of those, so no problem)
    - I preffer playing games on my DSLite, it just feels better in the hands then the dsi
    - Scratches are faster to see on the DSi then on the DSLite
    - The power buttons suxs (1 touch is soft reset in games/anything else / a few seconds is turn off (and i have to see, when i push hard with my thumb, it doesn't react, i have to use my nail (something that's hard) to push it to turn it off)

Why you should if you're willing to pay alote more then when it hits US/EU
    - You have one, while most only can drool on it in you're neighbourhood/friends/school
    - The music is way better and you can convert any mp3 easy to m4a (AAC) format and has fun animations for it while it plays
    - It has deeper colors, DS games look better on the DSi
    - No stupid fingerprints anymore
    - If the Japanese one can get hacked and Ninty brings the US/EU versions out with fixed firmware. you already can play whatever you want (IF it gets hacked))
    - I like the DSi Interface
    - It has a fun photo channel [​IMG]
    - You can take bad quality pictures of your surroundings and yourself!
    - Soft reset IN games
    - You can HOTSWAP your games, no need to turn of the DSi before swapping a DS cartridge

If you are willing to give more money on it and don't care the price and the language, i say, yeah get one [​IMG]
    Even if you can't do alot with it now, it's just the thing of I already have it! [​IMG]

On the other hand, if you can wait, i say, WAIT for the English version (AND I do hope Ninty will release the US/EU the same time, not the US in 6 months and the EU 3 months or more later)

Note: This is just my view on it [​IMG]

13. omegableach

Banned omegableach Banned

Canada
    wow nice post [​IMG]

14. double_vision

Member double_vision GBAtemp Regular

United States
    get it from play asia for $300....
    how many people have asked this????? i lost count at 14

15. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    However if you do wait for the DSi to be released in the US/Europe you will be certain that you'll miss out on some good games once the DSi store becomes more diverse in games. I suggest you weigh your options based on the DSi downloads you want. I'm not sure of this but the DSi points might be region locked too requiring you to import the cards when you need points which may not be a big hassle but it could be for you. I suggest you wait until early 2009 if you want a Japanese DSi and see what the DSi download games are like in the Japanese market before you buy one. Also, some DSi downloadable apps such as the transporation apps will be all but useless to you so don't both with them.