I upgraded RAM. Should I increase swap?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Flame, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Flame
    OP

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
    On one of my laptops which is now pretty old, but use it for from time to time for various stuff. i increased the RAM from 1gb to 3gb(adding 2gb to the extra slot)

its running Lubuntu, the swap size is 952.00 mb

I dont know if i would gain anything by increasing my swap.

Should I increase the swap? or keep as it is..

2. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    Never run 3gb of ram! Ram is supposed to be used in pairs of 2. Ditch the 1gb stick and get a second 2gb.

Xenon Hacks and Flame like this.
  3. VinsCool

VinsCool Scrambled Mind

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    I've been on 3gb for years on my old latop, and it worked fine. So is this THAT bad? :P

migles and Flame like this.
  4. jDSX

jDSX Is a furry

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    Happy furry land with Lucar
    Why no get a whole 4gb stick instead of x1 1gb and 1x 2 sticks?

Flame likes this.
  5. Flame
    OP

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
    wait what!

will do

but its a 32 bit processor... and the laptop runs 32bit OSes. my windows partition will only see 3.5gb?

aka

i was being a cheap skate

plus one of them was empty, and got 2gb.

Last edited by Flame, Apr 9, 2016
  6. jDSX

jDSX Is a furry

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    Happy furry land with Lucar
    As long as you don't go over 4gb limit you should be fine.

Flame likes this.
  7. Flame
    OP

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
    now i think about it i remember something like this; about the ram.

i use a chromebook. and my pc uses two 4gb.

but what about the swap!

8. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    If you plan to use suspend/hibernate then your swap needs to be 1.5-2x your ram because it uses your swap partition(s) to store the ram dump. Otherwise it is not necessary as the 2x your ram came from the early Unix days where data could only be swapped out to the same memory address/file position in swap, so say you had 10MB of ram and had data to swap out the data between 5-6MB in ram, it had to be copied to either 5-6MB or 15-16MB in swap. Fortunately that is no longer the case in any modern un*x system.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

The 4GB limit doesn't apply to Linux in most cases thanks to PAE, though the per process limit of 2-3GB (depending on kernel configuration) still applies.

Flame likes this.
  9. nolimits59

nolimits59 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 25, 2008
    France
    this is dumb on so many levels...

@Flame you can keep your 1+2 ram stick, there is nothing wrong with that, just make sur the speed is not dragging down the other stick, like one is 800 and the other one 1333 if it's DDR3 for exemple.

about the SWAP, yeah, a little more of SWAP should be great if you have space to spare for it? 1.5x OR 2x is recommended for more than 1gb of RAM, you can put like 4-5gb of RAM, that's gonna be great :).

DarkFlare69, migles and Flame like this.
  10. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Actually, from what I have read in research I have done in the past, if you use two RAM sticks that are different, the RAM will be dropped down to single channel mode, instead of dual channel which is faster (assuming his laptop supports dual channel RAM in the first place, I'm not sure if that's normal on laptops)
    So it is indeed preferrable to use two identical RAM sticks.

Flame likes this.
  11. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    i had a 2+1+1 setup, ddr2, and i think one chip has a higher frequency than the other.. but it is a minimal difference..
    never got real issues..

Flame likes this.
  12. nolimits59

nolimits59 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 25, 2008
    France
    it's "just" need to have the same chips IIRC no ? like if is 1GB is 256*4 and the 2GB is 256*8 it's gonna be dual-channel, but for what i remember, dual channel is not that "big deal", better have "plenty" of RAM with a abordable speed than low ram with 15% faster RAM...
    Don't misunderstand me, dual channel is important if you do rendering and all that stuff, but at this level of RAM, 15% of ram speed is not important.

13. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It would bug me to know I'm not getting the most out of my hardware due to a weird/improper setup. That might just be me though.

14. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    However 2GB of ram and 1GB of swap will always be slower than 3GB of ram, even if having 3GB drops it down to single channel.

15. nolimits59

nolimits59 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 25, 2008
    France
    it's already "improper" to have 1-2-3 gb of ram for a desktop computer nowadays, the big minimum is realy 4GB to enjoy a confortable use, even with a ubuntu, okay you can run this on very very low end specs like 512mb of RAM and 32gb of HD, but even the Q6600 4GB ram and 256gb HD Ubuntu i have struggle on some "simple" task, if you surf on like 5 to 10 pages at the same time, chromium/firefox/vivaldi gonna take 500 to 2gb of ram... but this is not a improper way to get your computer to work, just an other way.
    It's like saying that it's improper to use a HD because you COULD buy a SSD fore like 100% more perfomance (mostly on linux distrib, the gain is amazing, like on win10), no, if you don't have this and you want to use just the parts you have, well it's not improper.

But defo, if the OP, CAN, buy a 4gb stick, or a 2GB, that would be better ^^, there is no reason to argue that :).

16. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    A swap increase isn't strictly necessary, but if it's not going to eat up too much HDD space it couldn't hurt.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having a 1+2GB setup. Yes, you'll lose out on dual-channel benefits, but for everyday use it's no big deal. The first laptop I could personally claim to own shipped from the factory with 3GB in the waning days of DDR2 and Vista.

Actually, assuming your laptop is using DDR2 (I can't imagine much shipping with 1GB of DDR3), I could probably send you another 2GB stick for $6-7 shipped if you're in the US, although I have no idea if the voltage/timing would be the same.

It's worth noting that if your processor supports PAE, 32-bit Ubuntu (and, I would assume, Lubuntu) supports up to 64GB of RAM, although I doubt your chipset actually could support more than 4GB max; regardless it means (in a general case of your CPU not sucking) that you could upgrade to 2x2GB and not worry about any of that last gig going to waste.

17. BurningDesire

BurningDesire GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 27, 2015
    United States
    Behind a screen reading news
    Based on my own curiosity. Why?

18. k3rizz3k

k3rizz3k GBAtemp Regular

Oct 16, 2008
    United States
    @Flame As for the question everyone is ignoring. :P Increasing ram generally Decreases swap usage, so no need to enlarge the swap file.

Flame likes this.
  19. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Shouldn't even need that. A 2 gb SWAP partition is more than enough.