Gamemaster1379

OP
Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
I recently purchased an Xbox 360 Slim off of ebay with claims that it was RGH'd. If it isn't, not the end of the world (I bought it for non RGH purposes but would like if it were).

I'm trying to figure out what exactly I have and what I can do with it. Thus far, I've attempted to run XexMenu from a flash drive--but it comes up as corrupted on the Xbox system. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding or skipping a step, I don't know.

I read a bit into something about Xell and running that on boot--but I also understand there's some sort of limitation regarding HDMI and RCA cables (I only have HDMI available at the moment).

Most all the articles I can find only give information on whether a device is RGH-able or how to copy over Xexmenu. There's little insight on checking existing and the types of homebrew and what they do, so I could use a guiding hand. Thanks.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if it's xell-reloaded or xellous, it will transmit video through hdmi. normal xell is av cables. if xex menu is coming up as corrupt, it doesn't sound like u have an rgh. xex menu will come up as a game demo, and it should show up in the normal carousel of games on the internal hdd.

Gamemaster1379

OP
Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
if it's xell-reloaded or xellous, it will transmit video through hdmi. normal xell is av cables. if xex menu is coming up as corrupt, it doesn't sound like u have an rgh. xex menu will come up as a game demo, and it should show up in the normal carousel of games on the internal hdd.
Xexmenu is listed as an option when attempting to transfer from USB to HDD, but attempting to play it shows it as "Corrupted".

Are there any pre-requisites after doing a physical RGH and before being able to run unsigned code on an xbox dash?

Must I turn it on via the eject button? Should I see any visual differences if I do?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
try formatting the hdd.

usually, u transfer over xexmenu, get that to boot into Freestyle Dash or Aurora, then open up dashlaunch to force the console into booting into Freestyle Dash or Aurora automatically when u turn on the console. the point of installing xell is to retrieve the cpu key. plus, it can sometimes help save from a bad flash since it's the first 50 blocks of the NAND. once u have ur cpu key, u can build a hacked dash.

try turning it on with the eject button. unless it's really old and hasn't been flashed in years, it's probably using xell reloaded or xellous.

lisreal2401

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Turn it on with the eject button - if Xell doesn't come up it's not RGH'd. At the very least your dashboard is factory since Xexmenu won't run.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Turn it on with the eject button - if Xell doesn't come up it's not RGH'd. At the very least your dashboard is factory since Xexmenu won't run.

yes, this should work. if u get no video, ur probably booting xell; if u get xellous or xell reloaded, ur using an rgh. if u boot into the normal dash, ur system isn't rgh'd. I hadn't thought of that. u don't actually need to see xell.

Gamemaster1379

OP
Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
The previous owner apparently used it just to watch movies. So they don't seem to know. It's entirely possible it wasn't flashed--or if it was, it WAS a long time ago.

Using the eject button to boot seems to go to dash. So I'm going to assume that no, it isn't RGH'd.

Should it not be, what are my options from here. It's a Xbox 360 slim model. Possibly outdated dash. Any numbers I should look for? Any (semi) softmod options? Cheapest/most reliable flashing options? I have a friend with a makerspace 3 blocks from me, I could have it disassembled there for any potential hardware modifications.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The previous owner apparently used it just to watch movies. So they don't seem to know. It's entirely possible it wasn't flashed--or if it was, it WAS a long time ago.

Using the eject button to boot seems to go to dash. So I'm going to assume that no, it isn't RGH'd.

Should it not be, what are my options from here. It's a Xbox 360 slim model. Possibly outdated dash. Any numbers I should look for? Any (semi) softmod options? Cheapest/most reliable flashing options? I have a friend with a makerspace 3 blocks from me, I could have it disassembled there for any potential hardware modifications.

https://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/jtag-rgh-r-jtag-xbox-360-ultimate-exploit-guide.804054/

edit: look up jungleflasher for flashing the dvd drive. it will tell u how to flash ur dvd drive if u choose to do that instead. dvd flashing is separate from an rgh, so u can't simply play burns with an rgh (external/internal drives works without issue). u can get ur dvd key through xell which u need to flash the drive.

Last edited by godreborn,

Gamemaster1379

OP
Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
https://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/jtag-rgh-r-jtag-xbox-360-ultimate-exploit-guide.804054/

edit: look up jungleflasher for flashing the dvd drive. it will tell u how to flash ur dvd drive if u choose to do that instead. dvd flashing is separate from an rgh, so u can't simply play burns with an rgh (external/internal drives works without issue). u can get ur dvd key through xell which u need to flash the drive.
I'm aware DVD flashing is strictly backups. If it can do Xbox (original) games, I would be more open to that.

There's no difference in drive flashing for slims?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
u can burn xbox original games, but they need to be padded. it's been a while since I've done that. I stopped burning discs after jtagging.

each drive will be listed in jungleflasher. it's like 200+ pages, but u only need to read the section for the drive that's in ur system.

lisreal2401

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should check if it's already flashed. If you have any dual layers DVDs try burning some games. If you can get a patched XGD3 disc to boot, it's flashed on the latest firmware and you can update the dash no issues and go online.

lisreal2401

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've no interest in online. I'd just like to play unmodified Xbox 360 and Xbox (original) games. So I'm not sure what the best option is. Without discs is preferred but doesn't really matter.
If you want discless, it's RGH or bust really. I'd find out if it's flashed. If it is, use it for burned 360 games. OG Xbox games are possible but they have to be patched and it's a very, very strange process and quite frankly it probably won't work.

In short, get an RGH, RGH it, see if it plays burned 360 games or forget it.

Gamemaster1379

OP
Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
My library of anticipated games are small, so perhaps going with a drive flash is best. I'll look into that.

Looking into RGH as well.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

iirc, xbox original games require dual-layer discs as well.

an rgh would be my recommendation
If that's true, then rgh is best.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, u can remove all the padding with an rgh. u need an internal hdd to play xbox original games since the emulator is installed there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol