Gaming I plan on building my first computer soon.

ACDCGAMER

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: Okay guys, I think I've finalized my build. I'm 99% certain of it! Feedback would be great though; tell me what you think!

EDIT: I was going the 1366 route but I don't really need triple channel memory support. I can save a bunch of money with a 1156 build instead and it'll still perform well!

My build:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWi...Number=15743026

ACDCGAMER

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States

ACDCGAMER

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Interesting, it comes with 2 fans for a push/pull configuration? Pretty kick-ass! Doesn't seem to have that many reviews though but I'll certainly consider it! Price isn't bad either.

ACDCGAMER

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
You know what? Screw the Blu-ray drive. I can save around that way and I'll most likely only be using DVDs anyway. Also, faster write speeds!
biggrin.gif

I also have heard that the massive 5870 doesn't fit inside the Storm Scout without some modifying, but that would be if I decided not to get the Anted 902. I have heard that the HAF 922 is great case, though, but I'm still leaning towards the Antec 902 right now. Anyone else have anything to add?

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
before I make any suggestions.. I just want to ask a few questions..
- Why go the LGA 1156 route while you could go LGA 1366 route?
- Any chance you would want to change that 5870 to GTX480? although $380 is certainly a nice price..
- You are aware that the current PSU of your choice is non modular right?

and a few remarks:
- I have the HAF 922, and its a very nice case. Has high air flow which is always good. However, I did hear good things about the antec 902 (dont go with the antec 900 as it has some wiring issues iirc) so you cant really go wrong with either of them.
- Ditch that HDD and go with 1TB samsung F3. It's reporedly the best HDD in the market and will still be cheaper than the one you picked (its currently sold for $59 iirc)
- That cpu cooler is a no no.. I'll suggest something after you reply to this

I'll leave it at that for now..

ACDCGAMER

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm aware of the Samsung F3 and I'm certainly going for it now after someone on Reddit told me about it.

Same with the modular PSU. Going for that as well!

The 1366 chipset is a possibility but from some benchmarks, the 870 performs the same or even better than the 920 and 930, while costing slightly less. That's just from what I've seen though.

For the cooler, the same Reddit guy told me that the CoolerMaster 212 Plus is awesome.

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
All of these are answers that I like lol.
I can suggest a 1366 build if you want.. All I need is a budget to work with..

D

Deleted User

building? Get some gardener's gloves on, otherwise your hands will be bleeding after. Blood on the Hard Drive=Ouch.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jet™ said:
building? Get some gardener's gloves on, otherwise your hands will be bleeding after. Blood on the Hard Drive=Ouch.
Do you have any clue how much ESD that would create? Not to mention the fact that the cumbersome nature of gardening gloves would be far from ideal to connect most connectors to their respective ports.

elmoreas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Assuming of course that you are going to be on Vista or 7 may I make some RAM suggestions. First increase the RAM installed unless you are staying on Vista then 4GB is max. Second get a USB hub trust me you will need one eventually and use one of those spots for a USB Memory stick that is dedicated to RAM Boost. CPU, Cooling, HDD, MB, GPU, Sound Card are all important but it seems like people always forget to MAX OUT THE RAM given the OS they will be on. And then add more virtually. Thats my 2 Cents.

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Get the scout, I have both 902 and scout, and so far I think 902 is overrated. Scout is much easier to install, etc. It is almost completely tool-less, and it is painted black even on the inside so it looks cool, and it is much more sturdier... I know from bad experiences. Cooling is not a big issue as they are both good. Unless you are planning to lunch a space shuttle, the CPU power will do enough without overheating, plus it's an i7 so even less heat. Although I do not know about the GPU as I have nvidia.

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Westside said:
Get the scout, I have both 902 and scout, and so far I think 902 is overrated. Scout is much easier to install, etc. It is almost completely tool-less, and it is painted black even on the inside so it looks cool, and it is much more sturdier... I know from bad experiences. Cooling is not a big issue as they are both good. Unless you are planning to lunch a space shuttle, the CPU power will do enough without overheating, plus it's an i7 so even less heat. Although I do not know about the GPU as I have nvidia.
Well in that case he's better off with HAF 922 which I highly recommend

keine

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd NIX the XFX brand video card.

Stop that video card immediately and try a different model.
I highly highly highly recommend going w/ a different model with a GPU cooling design that is NOT the stock AMD. A good example is the MSI Hawk series. Sure it costs a little extra, but its definately worth it.
Reason: My XFX 5770 with stock AMD cooler is a LEAF BLOWER. it is SOO loud, and runs close to 90% fan until I get to the desktop where win drivers can slow it down. So what do you do on linux? Well, I'll tell you what you do, you listen to a leafblower. When gaming, the card is loud.
Don't buy that video card if you like peace of mind, in the slightest. Choose a different version of the cooler. I think asus or msi have different quieter more effecient desgins on their 5870's

ALSO!!!! Something to think about. Holding out on the build. That video card is very VERy very Very VERY very close to outdated. The southern island launch is litearly right around the corner, with new cards coming out. From what I've heard, things are impressive. I'd personally wait. Go play your PS3/360/Ds/PSP for a bit. or if you are set on that card, at least wait for prices to shift down after/during the release of southern islands.

On the ram: Good pick. RipJaw and G.Skill are the best period. Recently bought some OCZ and it won't work at advertised speeds as many many many users have reported. I got totally jipped.

On the PSU: Don't get the TX version. Spend the little extra dough and buy the modular PSU version. I KNOW, I bought the TX w/ the attached cables.....and I have to stuff them e*verwhere~! in my case. if I had spent 20$ extra, I'd have a much cleaner build and case. otherwise you most assuredly picked one of the very best PSU MFG's. I'm very happy with my corsair. very quiet too.

Good pick on the Western Digital. From over 15 years experience parting my builds together, the best HD's I've seen are Western Digital and Samsung. Noise plays a big part for me. In terms of speeds you've picked the fastest non solid state drive. I stay as far away from Seagate as I can.

I forgot to mention. Don't buy that ASUS MOBO! I've got one from the same line and let me tell you two very very bad things with this line of motherboards. ONE) Once you upgrade the BIOS, you are unable to downgrade it. This is highly annoying and if I had known I wouldn't have bought the P7P55D Deluxe. TWO) If you plan to OC, turning on Power Saving options (C1E) with an OC'ed BCLK, the board will start creating a well defined high pitched squeeling electronic noise. Thus, you CANNOT run power saving options on OC, unless you like high pitched electronic noises. just do some searching for it....you'll see what i mean. if not, I can PM you some links. hell its even in the Asus forums.
wacko.gif
My suggestion, get the MSI equivalent.
Where did all this advice come from? Well I just built a new build for SC2 (regrettably, total waste of money, still not happy with performance. but HEY thats pC gaming for you) I feel the build is partially gimped for the above reason after spending 700$ is combined upgrade.

Oh, one more thing. On the CPU cooler. I KNOW that cooler is recommended by customPC magazine and has sold like a trillion at new egg.com with lots of reviews. However, its not very highly regarded, i don' think, in more hardcore/quiet computing circles. I'd probably search a little more. I personally have a scythe mugen 2 rev b, i got on sale for 30$ and I'm very pleased with its build quality. It however is pretty dang unwieldy to mount and manage. I'd do some more research there.

The more you research, the less possibility you have for pitfalls.

In the end: if you are a newer user to PC's, I doubt you would notice any of the above mentioned flaws. In this case, proceed on, as the build for the layperson is a very good build, and I give you major props for assembling such a fine list. I'm just taking your build from 95% to 99%.
hope this helps. I just want to share my mistakes with a new i7 builder. (mine was actually an i5/good pick on the i7 proc) someone should learn from my mishaps.

ACDCGAMER

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the input, Keine. This isn't the only place I posted my build and I got the same responses regarding the modular PSU, so I'm going to get the 750HX instead. I think I'm going to downgrade on the video card to a 5850 for now (I'm still not buying anything yet - don't worry!), since the 5870 is possibly overkill as I haven't done PC gaming that much recently. Now, I'm interested in going back into PC gaming but I would still be doing a good amount of multimedia-related stuff. I hear that the Samsung F3 drives are better than Western Digitals, so I'll possibly be switching to those as well (I've heard great things about Western Digital, though, and I love my WD external hard drive!)

If you read a previous post of mine, I got the same response regarding the CPU heatsink as well, so I will possibly go for the CoolerMaster 212+. Now I'm thinking about going to a 1366 build rather than a 1156... any advantages there besides triple-channel memory support? From looking at benchmarks, the i7 870 actually surpasses the lower-end 9xx i7's from what I've seen.

ACDCGAMER

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Westside said:

The Scout won't work if I'm going to get the 5870, because that card cannot fit in the case without doing some modifications, which is something I don't want to do. Disappointing since the Scout looks awesome, but there's always the HAF 922, which is bigger, has bigger fans, and costs nearly the same amount.

keine

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
On the Samsung F3, I recently just purchased a 1tB samsung HD103SJ, and its fantastic. Search for a review of it on bit tech. Its absolutely glowing, and I'll agree. Even beats out the WD BLACK in some instances. It's also dead quiet.

good choice on the modular PSU!

Also...its kinda funny really. I saw MORE increase in response of Win7 from a HD103SJ Samsung, than I did with my dual core E2160/7800GTX/DDR2 build to my my new i5-750/2x5770/DDR3 build.

i'd float around on the video card. do some research on southern islands and see if its your cup. otherwise I'd look evenly at both the nvidia and ati set of cards. when I bought, nvidia in my mind really wasn't an option as ATI had the new set of HD5000's and Fermi was just awkward at that time. now they are more fermi derivatives, so I'd definitely look into it. I am moderately happy with my 2x5770CX setup, but drivers get in the way alot of time. moral: just buy one powerful card....not two weaker ones. also, i like to recommend that if you are set on playing game X, and game X is a logo'ed ATI/Nvidia game.....I'd go that same route.

i'm curious what games you are looking forward to playing with your new build?
(personally I can't wait for Civ and Diablo3
smile.gif
)

ps. i don't consider you a layperson. maybe just not a OCD wreck like me.
smile.gif

another thing to consider as you do your build (again, learn from my mistakes) slap that sucker together and test! test!!! and test some more. If something goes wrong you want to deal with the reseller warranty (newegg) and NOT the MFG RMA. RMA is a nightmare in my opinion and usually just results in me buying new parts while I wait 3 months for my RMA.
you see OCZ....if I send my ram back to you, i'll be without a computer for 3-6 weeks. I use this thing daily....something MFG's fail to understand.
lol. rma = throw your junk mobo/cpu/ram in the wastebin and try again.
it sucks so SO so SO so hardcore. I have yet to run into a MFG with a RMA/Warranty which doesn't feel like absolute highway robbery. if you aren't happy with your build.....determine that in the first 30 days. test your memory at its rated speed in memtest86. if you are going to OC, push it to the max OC in the first month and test/test. its when you get past 30 days, and newegg return is gone, you are literally stuck.

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
LGA 1156 is almost a dead socket, and thats why I recommend going with LGA 1366 (assuming you are not waiting for next generation sandy bridge which is almost around the corner)

750HX is a good option. 212+ is a great budget cooler (just dont get it from newegg as its way overpriced over ther.. get it from amazon instead.. around $27 or something)

WD caviar black is a great option, I personally have 2 x 1tb of their drives. But for the price you are paying, you are better off with a faster and cheaper option which is the samsung drives..

As for downgrading the 5870 to 5850, then you might as well just get a gigabyte GTX 470 found here
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814125320

in fact, check this thread here. You might be interested in some information
http://gbatemp.net/t255167-new-build-list-...ink-suggessions

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Sonic Angel Knight, https://youtu.be/UEZZk3sVl4s?si=vZsZ3rMvZSZK3Xuv