Hacking I need some advice before I buy.

richhobo46

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm about to buy my first Nintendo DS flashcart. After reading the reviews, I've determined Acekard2i is one of the best, especially on a budget. I think I'm to buy this card. Saying that, is it still a good option in 2011? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me like the Acekard2i and the DStwo are the two best and most supported and popular cards right now? Is that correct? Is it worth the extra money to get the DStwo. I'm on a budget, so I wouldn't want to, but if it's a much better product, I will spend the extra for DStwo. I have a Phat (original) ds and I will be mainly using it for the various pokemon games (black and white, diamond, etc.) and probably other classic ds games, like gta zelda, any of the most popular games.

Will the Acekard2i suit my needs for playing the pokemon games? Is it still supported and updated alot? Or should I spend the extra for DStwo?

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
AK2i + Slot2 card can be comparable to the DSTwo.
The DSTwo has a built in CPU which allows it to run GBA and SNES emulators.
With the AK2i + Slot2 you'd get better GBA support (since it's running it natively, not an emulator) but you 'lose out' on the SNES Emulator and have to use the discontinued SNEmulDS.

richhobo46

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about for just DS games? My interest will only be in playing the newer ones, thus the GBA and NES emulation aren't that important to me. What can the DSTwo do for me that the Acekard2i cant? For me I'll be doing simple stuff, playing, trading, battling, and saving. I think the only thing the Acecard2i can't do based on my wants is real time saving. Is that a big deal?

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
richhobo46 said:
What about for just DS games? My interest will only be in playing the newer ones, thus the GBA and NES emulation aren't that important to me. What can the DSTwo do for me that the Acekard2i cant? For me I'll be doing simple stuff, playing, trading, battling, and saving. I think the only thing the Acecard2i can't do based on my wants is real time saving. Is that a big deal?
RealTimeSaving is nice (and the AceKard CAN do it, it's just AKAIO isn't implementing it until it is supported by the Acekard Team since it was slightly buggy), but eh. Most games allow you to save when you want or between levels so it's really only handy if you want to "cheat".

As for what the DSTwo can do that the AceKard can't... other than RTS is Clean Mode, where it will load the game as a normal card would which allows you to bypass Anti-Piracy.
AKAIO has a software based Anti-AP (not as good as Clean Mode, but decent), coupled with frequent updates makes Anti-Piracy not that important of an issue.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
richhobo46 said:
So you think that the Acekard2i will be fine for my purposes of playing Pokemon games smoothly?
As far as I know Pokemon Black/White were working within a few days of them being leaked, before they went on sale in US or EU. And with a decent MicroSD (I recommend ADATA, Class 4 or 6) you'll run into no problems.

richhobo46

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another question.
I've been playing a version of the EU Pokemon Black Rom on my computer via DesMume .97, this emulator can save states. Is it possible to somehow transfer that saved state onto a flashcart so I can pickup and continue the game from that point?

Z

Zorua

richhobo46 said:
Another question.
I've been playing a version of the EU Pokemon Black Rom on my computer via DesMume .97, this emulator can save states. Is it possible to somehow transfer that saved state onto a flashcart so I can pickup and continue the game from that point?

Yes, just transfer the sav to your SD card and make sure that it has the same name as the rom and also make sure that it's in the same directory as the rom.

richhobo46

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zorua said:
richhobo46 said:
Another question.

Yes, just transfer the sav to your SD card and make sure that it has the same name as the rom and also make sure that it's in the same directory as the rom.

Oh ok, that's awesome. But will that method only work with a card that does RTS like DS2 or will it work with AK2i and then I would I be able to start saving normally the non rts way of saving that AK2i does?

Z

Zorua

richhobo46 said:
Zorua said:
richhobo46 said:
Another question.

Oh ok, that's awesome. But will that method only work with a card that does RTS like DS2 or will it work with AK2i and then I would I be able to start saving normally the non rts way of saving that AK2i does?

It works with Ak2i.

richhobo46

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome, I think I'm sold on the AK2i. Would you guys recommend I buy it? And where from, I'm looking at Real Hot Stuff for 18 dollars, and it has free shipping. Plus, I live in NJ so its really close to ship.

Z

Zorua

richhobo46 said:
Awesome, I think I'm sold on the AK2i. Would you guys recommend I buy it? And where from, I'm looking at Real Hot Stuff for 18 dollars, and it has free shipping. Plus, I live in NJ so its really close to ship.

www.lightake.com is cheaper but it's based in China so it may take a while to ship. It's your call. I've heard of people who got fakes from Real Hot Stuff so I recommend Lightake.

Masked Ranger

Trophies
XP
Country
richhobo46 said:
and probably other classic ds games, like gta zelda, any of the most popular games.

I'd pay to play that game.
yaynds.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzmdrobXH34