I need help bui;ding a website :O

Discussion in 'Computer Programming, Emulation, and Game Modding' started by UnseenHero, Dec 14, 2009.

Dec 14, 2009
  1. UnseenHero
    OP

Member UnseenHero The UnseenHero

Canada
    Ok well my class nominated me to build a website for my school. What is the website for you ask? Well it is for an upcoming tournament we will be having. So i was looking around good ol Google and Youtube but i couldn't find a good tutorial. My teacher said the school is paying for it and i will be using a mac. so what im looking for is.

How do i build a website:
    -Background
    -Links
    -Everything else needed on a website

This wole week i will have time on it with my schools mac for 45minutes a day for 5days. Then after that i dont know when i will be able to. My teacher says he wants it up by January 12 so ya i dont know when i get back from Christmas vacation.So...........Help?

Thanks a lot for your time [​IMG]

2. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    Ack, a Mac. My cousin had Computer Science [or was it Comptech...] and he had to build a website.

When he went to my house, he was using Adobe Dreamweaver to build it. I know that you need some type of C++ compiler to create the site. I will try to ask him how he built it again. Then I can pass it onto you.

You must feel awesome that you can nominated for that ;D.
    Is it a Elementary School or Secondary School?

3. UnseenHero
    OP

Canada
    Lol secondary 2 for me (grade 8) [​IMG] and it is our school annual grade six soccer tournament where we host the biggest grade six soccer tournament for elementaries in Laval

4. its xNIGHTMAREx

Newcomer its xNIGHTMAREx Member

United States
    Why the hell would they nominate you to do it if you don't even know how? Anyways, with the time you have I would just get a free template and base it off that then you can spend the rest of the time goofing off! [​IMG]

5. omgdaniel

Newcomer omgdaniel Advanced Member

United States
    say what?

Try HTML.

6. Magmorph

Member Magmorph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    C++ != Html

All you need is a text editor and knowledge of Html to create a simple website. Html is by far the easiest language to learn.

7. UnseenHero
    OP

Canada
    Lol the reason the nominated me is because sadly in the program i am in (leadership) where we organize everything i now the msot about computers (SAD, i know right?[​IMG])

8. omgdaniel

United States
  9. its xNIGHTMAREx

United States
    Aww, that sucks! Good luck with whatever you choose to do, and to everyone saying that he needs to learn HTML I don't think he could learn it in time though so again I suggest you use a free website template. Google it you should get tons of 'em. Oh, and since it's a school I don't really think they want something super nice cause I doubt they could come up with something. Lol that's why they are relying on the students.

10. UnseenHero
    OP

Canada
    Lol i will try to learn most i can now with my slow internet (new video uploading on youtube XD)

11. jceggbert5

Member jceggbert5 Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.

United States
    Check out a website I made for a USB Loader that I wrote from scratch... (If you have Firefox or Internet Explorer, use "View > Source" to see how I made it)

12. omgdaniel

United States
    Takes like an hour or two to learn.
    Takes like a day or two (depending on how much you practice) to master.

Now if you want to get into CSS and Javascript or any other scripting language, that's a different story.

13. UnseenHero
    OP

Canada
    Ok well i might just get a template re write everything on it and then see if my teacher approves but now i have to learn to use it and jceggbert wow u made that from scarth how lol and how long did it take?

14. its xNIGHTMAREx

United States
    Oh wow really. That's cool I'll have to learn sometime. Maybe winter break?

15. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    1: HTML doesn't work in most BBC boards.
    2: It's SITE SHOTCUT NAME if you were trying to make a basic hyperlink.

16. UnseenHero
    OP

Canada
    Lol ya i was testing it out and failed....well now i have to go to sleep i hope to see alot of suggestions and tips when i comeback [​IMG]

Peace all and thank you once again for all your help

17. ` regret .

Member ` regret . GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I'll start from the top, it'll be pretty, actually very easy to make a simple website, but it'll be very pricy. For my method you need Adobe Dreamweaver, and a Free Website Template. For a varied selection visit This site, Or this site. After downloading a template open it up in Adobe Dreamweaver and change all the text, with Dreamweaver you just need to click the text and it'll set the font for you and you'll be able to change it, not much coding skill needed. After everything is changed you need to set up links and pictures, if you use a template like This onethe links are set up nicely at the top so you can just change the text up there. I've got no idea how you'll redirect it to another site so your on your own from here. For your background this is what you'll need to do, with the template still open go to Modify --> Page Properties, Type the location of the image in the Background Image box, or click on the Browse button to locate and select the image. Click OK.
    After your done your website, or when you plan on closing the website, save then File --> Preview in Browser to see how it looks. Hope I helped.

18. UnseenHero
    OP

Canada
    Ok thankyou [​IMG]

19. Raki

Member Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    maybe your school has iWeb on this mac, so it should be a easy clickaround job
    if not do what the other ones told ya, html will help you a lot and you will also be able to do your work at home since html isn't bound to any special editor