I need A new Mp3 player

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by pizzaman2893, Aug 8, 2009.

Aug 8, 2009

I need A new Mp3 player by pizzaman2893 at 4:22 PM (2,044 Views / 0 Likes) 30 replies

1. pizzaman2893
    OP

Member pizzaman2893 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Ok Right now I have the creative zen x-fi. Overall its a good player but extremely buggy and I'm just tired of it. So I need a new mp3 player and was wondering if yall guys could help me find one. I want one thats pretty small, and can do the basics (movies, pics, music), and has a built in speaker. (which is what I loved about the zen) And also if it has expandable memory like a sd or sdhc that would be good too. (thats where the zen failed big time, expandable slot but it does not add it to main memory.) So if yall could help me find a mp3 player I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    My brother has a Zune and really likes it. It really helps if you have a Xbox 360, though.

I'm using a relatively old 80GB iPod Video. Its worked great for years and plays all my music fine and stuff. Sure, it's not as advanced as an iPod Touch, but its hundreds cheaper and still has video capabilities and a few good games (I have Tetris and Zuma on there and both are pretty good time killers). It's a little clunky too (about as thick as an iPod Classic), but who cares.

3. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    IPOD TOUCH! [​IMG]

4. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
  5. pizzaman2893
    OP

United States
    haha yeah I'm not a big fan of Ipods. But really what I'm looking for is just that it has is a built in speaker and sd/sdhc slot

6. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    I would say just get a phone that can play music like the HTC dream/ T-mobile G1, no point carrying around two things when one will do

7. pasc

Member pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Germany
    QFT

8. Yukito

Newcomer Yukito Advanced Member

France
    How about a DS/DSLite with a flashcart that can take Micro SDHC and using Moonshell2 ?
    That's what I do with mine (I listen to music more than I play games on it at the moment) the only problem is that you've only got 32 gb of memory max.

9. pizzaman2893
    OP

United States
    not a bad Idea memory isn't a problem as I only have like 8gb of music and listen to roughly about 3gb of it. But I think its kinda stupid looking carrying your ds around. And to magnus I would love to get a new phone but phones aren't cheap.

10. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    DS speakers suck for music though and can't play videos well.

11. DrYHeLL

Member DrYHeLL GBAtemp Regular

Antarctica
    Although it doesn't have an external speaker, A Sansa Fuze or View would be an excellent option because they are relatively cheap and offer expandable storage. I know both also offer radio and a microphone.

Fuze

View

Don't listen/give in to apple.

12. pizzaman2893
    OP

United States
    I agree so Idk I guess no one has any good suggestions. [​IMG]

13. pizzaman2893
    OP

United States
    that sansa view looks pretty nice I'm still keeping my eyes open though.

14. Maktub

Member Maktub GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Spain
    Hm.. don't want to add to the mindless iPod zombification, but I'd consider getting an iPod touch granted money is not a big issue.

I got one as a bday gift some days ago and I'm just amazed at such piece of hardware. Plays music in lots of different ways (genius playlists are fun sometimes), video/youtube is fantastic, has bluetooth and wi-fi, real funny games and useful apps...

If not, I guess a Zen would do it, too. In any case I'd go for something reliable.

15. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    I have an 80GB iPod Classic, I got it around the time the Touch came out and only paid 250 CAD for it, loads of storage. Granted it doesn't have the wider screen that the Touch has, it is a solid audio player and has decent video playback as well. I know the iTunes ordeal can be a pain but it works awesome for me on a PC so I don't get what all the hate is. iPods are certainly better then shitty Zune's though, the Microsoft download store has a terrible selection compared to iTunes and you have to use crappy software to synch it.

16. DrYHeLL

Member DrYHeLL GBAtemp Regular

Antarctica
    That's not a problem when....

You are a pirate.

17. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    Try... Microsoft Zen (was almost gonna get it)
    Some Archos Media Player... I remember this one brand I was recommended... Think it was Cowon... But yea. Don't recommend using the DS. Speakers are crap...

18. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    Cowon D2+. Doesn't have a speaker, but it has an SD slot. Drag and drop, and flac support included. Somewhat thick, but a very well known player in the audio world.

The zune is much better than most mp3 players. It's got a good sound quality (I doubt most people will hear it using shitty earphones they buy from local stores.), a very good build, and an interesting UI that's very easy to use. The price is the same as an Ipods, which is to be expected. They also give out free firmwares for any Zune users. Heck, They still support the first gen Zune. The downside of the zune, is that it's locked down to the zune program. You can't use anything else to store music or videos onto it. In a sense, it's even more locked down than an Ipod, as itunes isn't the only software you can use to put songs onto it.

Sansa Fuze is a really nice player, without many downsides. It's cheap, it's got a micro sdhc slot, and it sounds very clean. It's got drag and drop, and they They also give out firmwares. Could use a gapless though.

And buying music online? Buy CDs, and rip the music off of it for much better quality. Enjoy your shitty quality music while I enjoy my FLAC or V0 LAME.

19. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    the zune software is a lot better then the bloatware called itunes

and you actually buy music from itunes?
    lulz

20. Reaper

Member Reaper Tͩ͒ͥ̈́ͧ̓͑̆̂

United States
    Who the fuck even uses speakers to listen to music, especially on the DS? [​IMG]
    External speakers on gadgets are horrible. Use headphones [​IMG]