• Start date
  • Views 13,580
  • Replies 136

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only other scenario I can think of aside from mistakingly updating in GW mode is if your SD card got corrupt. I helped someone else with similar issues and it ended up being a faulty SD card.

redunka

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
There are no recorded cases of FIRM protection screwing up and having a system update remove A9LH (and the code hasn't changed in months). So I'd say you mistakenly updated in GW mode without realizing it.
Do you have any ideas for what could happen to these ones?

https://gbatemp.net/threads/bricked-n3ds-a9lh-luma3ds-hardware-mod.449973/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/n3ds-xl-bricked-when-updating.450143/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/n3ds-xl-bricked-when-updating.450143/#post-6866970

kamesenin888

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I'll be the obligatory Gateway hater here.
Outside of .3ds support, it offers no advantages, only disadvantages from there on out (such as no FIRM0/1 protection), also having brick code implemented which atimes bricked their own customers.
If this issue ever gets resolved, I recommend OP to just stick solely to SDless A9lh+Luma, because I'm skeptical of the use of Gateway not being the culprit here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Besides .3ds support and gateshark that is far better than ntr, even though you can port the codes, the creation of them is far superior, the firm protection is for people that want to use sysnand exclusively that its dumb to try to bash them because of the use of evil emunand that takes only 2 gb and that they warn users not to be in sysnand with gateway, bricking happened twice in 2014 and one was using a tampered launcher. You should not say things that are not relevant because even though luma is good, I prefer gateway/luma setup in emunand, so i get everything and gba/dsi games are not important for me.

Probably was that he got the updating notification and pressed A in gateway mode in sysnand. It could happen to everyone but he wanted sysnand/gateway and thats where it is not right, you should get a hard mod as suggested and get your 3ds fixed, or try dsi ware hax

Last edited by kamesenin888,

Aurora Wright

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
BootROM error means FIRM is invalid, a failed FIRM protection can't cause it (on O3DS you'll just lose A9LH, on N3DS you brick with a black screen). The N3DS bricks are weird. Maybe it's the fault of Star Updater which updated to some faulty nightly (for a very long while, Star Updater mistakenly updated to nightlies instead of stable).

redunka

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
BootROM error means FIRM is invalid, a failed FIRM protection can't cause it (on O3DS you'll just lose A9LH, on N3DS you brick with a black screen). The N3DS bricks are weird. Maybe it's the fault of Star Updater which updated to some faulty nightly (for a very long while, Star Updater mistakenly updated to nightlies instead of stable).
BootROM error was caused by faulty hardmod in that particular case.
They hardmodded N3DS because they had black screen on boot after update.
Indeed, those bricks are weird.

Aurora Wright

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
BootROM error was caused by faulty hardmod in that particular case.
They hardmodded N3DS because they had black screen on boot after update.
Indeed, those bricks are weird.
I just tested FIRM protection on my New 3DS by updating to several FIRM versions (via cart updates) from 9.0 onwards (I think I just skipped 2 FIRMs or so as I lack carts with those updates), and then finished with a 11.0 -> 11.2 update from System Settings. Everything went just fine (latest nightly).

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well A9lh is always sd-less. The thing that's loaded [cfw] is in 2 positions sd and ctrnand - in this case luma [are there any other cfws set up to work with the current a9lh?]
You can put any arm9loaderhax.bin in the SD card or CTRNAND (for SD-Less loading) and it will boot! Not only Luma. Try putting a Decrypt9 or Hourglass9 payload, for example.

Of course, Luma is the best (and practically only) CFW out there for A9LH, but what loads Luma is A9LH, and what was added support for SD-Less is to load a A9LH payload from CTRNAND.

nechigawara

Citizen of Gamindustri
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Well A9lh is always sd-less. The thing that's loaded [cfw] is in 2 positions sd and ctrnand - in this case luma [are there any other cfws set up to work with the current a9lh?]
A9LH doesn't always sd-less. First v2 payload & ScreenMerge Build will shutdown if you're taking SD out.
Experiment SDless is unofficial, CTRNAND one just out for half and a month.

You can put any arm9loaderhax.bin in the SD card or CTRNAND (for SD-Less loading) and it will boot! Not only Luma. Try putting a Decrypt9 or Hourglass9 payload, for example.

Of course, Luma is the best (and practically only) CFW out there for A9LH, but what loads Luma is A9LH, and what was added support for SD-Less is to load a A9LH payload from CTRNAND.

Not all, SaltFW and Corbenik not support CTRNAND loader yet.

Last edited by nechigawara,

Aletron9000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never try it but may be it can, what I know you can't boot them from CTRNAND for sure is SaltFW and Corbenik.

although, it might be pointless, where would decrypt9 put the files and how could you move them off without an sd card? that could be something for decrypt9 to have if it does load from ctrnand.

GodMode9 might have a purpose

Last edited by Aletron9000,

nechigawara

Citizen of Gamindustri
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
although, it might be pointless, where would decrypt9 put the files and how could you move them off without an sd card? that could be something for decrypt9 to have if it does load from ctrnand
Yeah, and I wouldn't recommend people to do it to, store a lot of file on CTRNAND decrease NAND writing a lot too.

crazy_p

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
HI i was trying to update my a9lh to the latest version to boot Luma from ctrnand, but when i try to boot without SD Card my 3ds shuts down immediately. I used all the latest files from the Guide, should i use another version of SafeA9lhinstaller or did i something wrong?

Reactions: CreAtor135

nechigawara

Citizen of Gamindustri
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
HI i was trying to update my a9lh to the latest version to boot Luma from ctrnand, but when i try to boot without SD Card my 3ds shuts down immediately. I used all the latest files from the Guide, should i use another version of SafeA9lhinstaller or did i something wrong?
Have you put arm9loaderhax.bin into the root of CTRNAND using FBI yet?
Also, did you update before Oct 17, 2016?

crazy_p

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Yes i copied arm9loaderhax.bin to CTRNAND using FBI. I updated my A9lh today.. My first A9lh installation was when the first OTP Less Version came out. My Sysnand is still 9.2

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
A9LH doesn't always sd-less. First v2 payload & ScreenMerge Build will shutdown if you're taking SD out.
Experiment SDless is unofficial, CTRNAND one just out for half and a month.

Not all, SaltFW and Corbenik not support CTRNAND loader yet.
Probably geting a bit semantic; but just because the CTRNAND boot support is new has no bearing on the fact that a9lh is [and always has been sd-less], the very fact that the 3ds won't boot with sd pulled [without the latest build and ctrnand file] proves that. i.e. it doesn't boot as a9lh isn't insalled on the sdcard

Luma [or whatever 'cfw'] can be both. i.e. can be run from sd or be sd-less [probably should be calling it NAND/CTRNAND luma instead - if @Aurora Wright wants to chime in on the preferred nomenclacture]

@Olmectron - I figured the .bins would load, but wasn't sure on if there'd still be a size restriction; I guess the others need to redirect their config files or something

Last edited by HyperT,

nechigawara

Citizen of Gamindustri
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Probably geting a bit semantic; but just because the CTRNAND boot support is new has no bearing on the fact that a9lh is [and always has been sd-less], the very fact that the 3ds won't boot with sd pulled [without the latest build and ctrnand file] proves that. i.e. it doesn't boot as a9lh isn't insalled on the sdcard

Luma [or whatever 'cfw'] can be both. i.e. can be run from sd or be sd-less [probably should be calling it NAND/CTRNAND luma instead - if @Aurora Wright wants to chime in on the preferred nomenclacture]
OK, I get what you explain now, A9LH always SDless. But, the files that A9LH need isn't, something like that, right?
Just A9LH CTRNAND Build has a new abilty to launch that file from another part instead of only SD root.

Yes i copied arm9loaderhax.bin to CTRNAND using FBI. I updated my A9lh today.. My first A9lh installation was when the first OTP Less Version came out. My Sysnand is still 9.2
Where did you get lastest A9LH files, you need to get it here to make sure you got CTRNAND Build: https://github.com/AuroraWright/arm9loaderhax/releases/tag/17/10

Reactions: HyperT

crazy_p

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Its also weird that i cant boot without SD Card Inserted, before it was no Problem it Booted like a normal 3ds...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: