I like low-res textures and I cannot lie (no irony)

UltraDolphinRevolution

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Let me finally come out of the closet. I like low-res textures. Is there something wrong with me?

It perhaps started with Twilight Princess. At first I was disappointed by the textures, especially since we had already seen Starfox Adventures at the beginning of the GC era. Over time, I kind of appreciated them. I love N64 textures (which I didn´t many years ago).

I absolutely love the way some low-res textures look in combination with a bloom affect. Not sure what to call it... if you go up to a wall in e.g. MoH Heroes 2 for Wii, the textures look "murky". In contrast, I do NOT like DS low-res graphics where you can count the pixels and they do not have this "murky" look.

Sometimes I catch myself lowering the settings on PC even if I don´t have to, like just now in Starcraft II. It just looks so different on low settings and I prefer it that way. So again, is something wrong with me? (no irony or sarcasm)

(disclaimer: I do not like low framerates, polygon counts or bad animations)

Last edited by UltraDolphinRevolution,
Reactions: Lostbhoy

UltraDolphinRevolution

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
People complain about psx rearmed on switch being low res but if im gonna emulate an old console I want it to be graphically the same as I remember it
I get the authenticity argument, but I even like low-res textures in games I have never played (or those that are new). My Laptop can handle Starcraft 2 but I tried out low-res and kept it. I think Zelda Breath of the Wild is one of the most beautiful games ever and other gamers complain about the textures.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Lower graphics mean higher framerates and/or less power drainage. Or even less disk space, if i read some reports on the steam deck correct.

So no, i don't see anything wrong with it. I remember playing ut2004 on a low end pc for years. At a certain point i started reviewing custom maps so created some screenshots at highest settings. Truth be told: i could hardly tell the difference.

Okay, and some settings were downright stupid. You could disable the foliage visibility, which removed some plant leaves... Which also increased visibility (once i witnessed a friendly argument about one player hiding behind bushes that the other player simply didn't see because those settings got in the way)

Creamu

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
xasda.png

better?

It may have something to do with your nostalgia or even the size of your repoductive organs.

Deleted member 323844

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
N64 had few textures in the games, because of the 4K of TMEM. It was all about the colored polygons and face/gouraud shading.

I would like to love that aesthetic, unfortunately it features the dirtiest framebuffer ever seen on any console due the bloated filter pipeline.

mrcroket

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I think that texture quality must be on par with the assets, models and fx quality. So, old games with hd texture packs looks ugly as fuck for me but same with newer games with low resolution textures and not anisotropic filtering.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had one before that, and never had one since