Hardware I know its futile but...

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a wireless modem and I used to use it a lot before I moved house.
Now in my new house we can't get internet because our phoneline doesn't support it.
Something about it being "pergain" and I need "copper"...
Rather than having to go to the internetcaff all the time, I just asked around and I found out that there is a shared internet connection.
Its a 1MBps connection with about 10 people sharing but as long as I've had it, I haven't noticed any serious downloaders (arabs love their chatrooms
tongue.gif
) so that usually leaves most of the bandwith open for me
biggrin.gif

The thing is, I really want to play online with my ds but I don't have a wireless adapter and can't afford one right now either.
Our building has a big modem upstairs and it has ethernet wires which go straight into our computers...
I was wondering if there is some sort of way I can put in the ethernet cable into the wireless moder and still get internet.

This might be a stupid question but thanks in advance for any replies which can help me.

EDIT: the modem is a Thomson Speedtouch v585i wireless modem

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know you say you can't afford it right now, but the best thing for you to do IS to get one of those Nintendo USB dongles for your PC. That's really the only way for you to have wireless play on the DS. Since you have internet on your PC, but it's not wireless, the dongle will give you that functionality for your DS and (if you have one) Wii.

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Like kellyan said, you should just be able to plug a wireless router into the ethernet cable you have and you should be able to connect with your DS. Then just get another ethernet cord to go from the wifi router to your computer and you're set.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know what the hell I'm doing right now but I just went ahead and did what you guys said.
It wouldn't work at first but now I'm online...

I'm not sure how I'm online right now though...
FF doesn't want to work and the connection keeps dropping randomly.

Please help..
frown.gif

EDIT: I found that Wifi works to some extent.
I've only had it drop out on me once.

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It drops randomly because something the router does conflicts with your internet connection.
Your router has a completely useless web-interface (someone I know has the same one) but if you can find out how, try disabling NAT.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo