Gaming I just dont get whats exciting about Brawl.

Osaka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
One reason why I like brawl is because of the fast fighting system. I don't like normal fighting games because they feel really sluggish and unresponsive, to me.

How good you fight is determined by the combos you create, rather then learning a bunch of complicated button combinations.

GameDragon

Mugiwara RAWR!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I also never got this game.

I'm a big fan of Nintendo and also a big fan of 4 players local games. I'm also a fan of fighting games ( my fav being Street fighter, Mk2-3, Soul Calibur, Tekken2-3). I have a bunch of friends with whom as long has we have a decent 4 player game we can have a lot of fun. I tried 4 players smash bros on n64 back in the day and also on gamecube with 4 players. The four of us all thought it was shallow and dull in both games. Truly, for all of us, one of the biggest disappointment in Nintendo history. We were so looking forward to it but it just seemed random button smashing.

Since then i also asked a similar question as this subject thread on another forum, and people told me about the game, it's supposed deepness etc. Tried the game again with friends but it just doesnt take. I'm still gonna try this one but my expectation are pretty low...
For the a simple formula, the game is very deep (atleast Melee is). If you ever see a pro play in real life then you could see. Its definitely not a button masher game. Maybe when theres 4 players not knowing what they are doing, but for basic players no.

outphase

Custom title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Let me preface this by stating that I am not a tourney player nor do I feel that there is any single "right" way to play the game.

I wasn't into SSB64 very much when it was out. I had the same mentality as many others here. I didn't see the depth or the fun. I was a button masher on SSB64 and spammed every B move possible. I honestly don't remember if I used many A attacks. However, my friends and I played SSBM after class on a bi-daily basis. Eventually the game grew on me. I began to see the depth the game provided beyond mere button mashing (which I believed the game was at first). A good 1v1 match "tourney style" can show you one look at the depth of the game.

One of the things I learned after playing in my first SSBM tourney was that you are only as good as those around you. You only see the game for what your friends see it as. After that day, we saw more depth in the game than we thought previously.

gonsog99

Trophies
XP
Country
It's an amazingly deep fighting game.

It's an amazingly simple fighting game.

The game is fun, easy to get into, and what other chance do you get to fight agaisnt different Nintendo characters...You should actually try the game before you judge a series...

Most people think its a simple fighting game but there are actually a lot of advanced techniques most people don't know about. It's very fun when playing competitively 1v1 or 2v2. Its also a lot of fun when playing a fun free for all game.

Devrethman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never played previous versions but I've seen a trailer of GC version, but I dont get whats so exciting about fighting all these *happy* nintendo (except Snake and gonna-look-like-bad-a$$-samus) together? like fat Mario and chubby Kirby. whats exciting about that? those characters are not meant to fight for god's sake.

If it was a good fighting game like *name ur fav here*, It would make some sense to me but waiting to fight Mario Vs. Snake, man, I dont get it.

So would someone actually explain, if possible, that whats so cool about this game without fanboy statements?

thnx.

First of all, the gameplay is really easy to learn, and REALLY difficult to master. That's basically a recipie for an addicting, competitive game. It's just really fun to play, and really unique. There's nothing really out there like it. It's also a great party game, for the same reasons.

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Most people think its a simple fighting game but there are actually a lot of advanced techniques most people don't know about. It's very fun when playing competitively 1v1 or 2v2. Its also a lot of fun when playing a fun free for all game.
No, it's a simple fighting game and these advanced techniques are things the users have come up with...but the whole fighting system is simple.

D1MX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good sh** Dev that makes up the reason why I love playing competitive Smash. Its fun to sometimes play w/ friends and have a laid back FFA w/ items and whacky stages that you'd never play w/ in tournament. The awesome thing about smash also...is w/ all the customization at your fingertips...anyone can get enjoyment outta the game.

You can choose to play w/ lives aka stock and set how many you want almost no limit (up to 99), you can set up a timed match where ppl (sorta like Halo's Slayer) could just fight to see who can rack up the most amount of KO's (just like kills in slayer), you even can check out at the end of your match your KO/Death Ratio, how much time you spent in the air, ground, which types of attacks you spammed...and all I'm talking about is the post-game report. Mastering a certain character can be a chore, but once you get him down pat, you'll reap the benefits of your work.

For the most part like everyone said, its anything you make it to be.

If you wanna learn how to play the game hardcore w/o items you can, if you wanna have a carefree blast w/ pals and not play seriously w/ items on you can as well.

There's so much ppl can do w/ this game, the possibilities are endless.

And thats why I still play Melee after all these years.

(Not only cuz it puts money in my pocket ^_^)

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A "Simple Fighting System" that can be made into a deep one is still a deep fighting game.
That means any simple game can be made into a deep one...

The base system is simple, that's what makes me say it's simple. Players can make things more complicated, and I guess that's a good point about Smash Bros.(and a lot of other games).

TheStump

Got Wood?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah even though i totally am following the SPOILERS thread and already have a pre-order for the game, i would agree with you and FAST.

I was thinking to myself the other night and relating how halo 3 fanboys got when the new halo came out, are we Nintendo fanboys just doing the same with SSBB?

Does this game do something else the older version never really did, or has it just built on a good formula.
The only thing i have noticed with the new game is;

-Deeper single player game
-Co-Op campaign
-More characters and third party
-Final Smashes
-More Nintendo references and tie ins
-WiFi

Is this very revolutionary?
either way im buying the game, just thought i'd voice my thoughts.

D1MX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This game isn't revolutionary...but it damn sure is the next installment in the best selling GameCube game of all time Super Smash Bros. Melee.

I guess just like Halo...this game is getting mad hype. I mean someone even died for this game didn't they?

Its that nuts.

D1MX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I gotta find the link...

...someone I heard died b/c Smash was delayed or something.

:edit: WOW...IT WAS A JOKE AFTER ALL >_>

What a BAD insensitive joke...its like being Machiavelli or Tupac.

:edit 2:

Found it!

Click!

Zarxrax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I guess I'll toss my opinion into the mix. Back when the first game first came out on N64, I imported the Japanese version, due to the fact that IGN was saying some good things about it, and the fact that n64 releases were few and far between, so I needed something to play.

I was a bit disappointed by the game. I am primarily a single-player guy, and the first game didn't have all that much of a single player experience. Every now and then I would get a 2 player match going with a friend, and it was pretty fun. I never thought it was terribly great, but fun nonetheless.

Then Melee came out for gamecube. This had a vastly improved single player mode, so this was the point at which I kinda started to really get into the series. The real kicker though, was on a few occasions when I got to play 4 player matches against various different people. It was suddenly a completely different experience! I couldn't believe how much fun I was having. I started learning a bit about the tournament scene, and I learned that the game is incredibly deep and that there are some seriously skilled players out there. Those 2 things really sort of changed my views about the game quite a bit, though it happened late in the gamecube's life cycle.

Now since Brawl was first announced, I have been seriously hyped for it, maybe unlike any other game thats come before. Once again, the single player game has been expanded SIGNIFICANTLY, and this time they are finally offering wifi play, so I can still get in some fun matches despite my lack of local friends
tongue.gif

Another huge aspect of it for me is the nostalgic component of it. Smash Bros. Brawl is literally a fanboys wet dream. There is no other way to put it. I've been raised on Nintendo since the age of 5, and I'm now 25. Pretty much my entire life is filled with fond memories of Nintendo games, and Smash Bros. really brings back the feelings of the good ol' days.

Zharay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Simple answer: Besides Zelda and SMG, the only other game I have been looking forward on the Wii has been Brawl.

Its a simple yet deep fighter. With friends is just loads of hours of gameplay that never seems to get tiring. Yea at first it doesn't look at all that great (I for one view most Nintendo games as toys rather than something for a gamer), but once you get the hang of it with friends, you will know just how fun it is.

lhnguyen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game is incredibly deep. Some will have you believe that it's charm is in it's simplicity, and that's true as well.

It's hard to explain without you having played it, but there is an infinite level of growth in the game which is refreshing. You can ALWAYS get better.

4 player fighting is also a huge draw. Throw in some items and you have a hectic party.

But for me, 1v1 tournament smashing is the way to go.

Kakkoii

Old fart
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You shouldn't have even commented on it if you haven't played it for a bit.

Because it's pure speculation..

It's one of those games you need to try or you probably won't get it. It's like Crack except produced by Nintendo and smeared on a disc in the shape of 1's & 0's.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Wish they would let us play the NCAA football 14 on newer xbox, its one of the only games I love...