I just bricked my 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by am714, Apr 28, 2018.

1. am714
    OP

am714 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 1, 2018
    Italy
    Da qualche parte nella Dimensione Magica...
    So i like to do this kind of things. I was exploring my Super Mario Maker gamecard and found the .cia system updates of idk what version, i wanted to test what version they were and i installed them. Result total black screen on boot and process called pm id:00000000000000000 crashes, i can still launch payloads just wondering if this is fixable with a ctr transfer with one of those image in the 3ds.guide

P.S I have no nand backup and safe mode not booting

Last edited by am714, Apr 28, 2018
  2. DavidRO99

DavidRO99 Average Ryzen user.

Jun 11, 2016
    Korea, North
    your back-door
    If I remember correctly from hacking my 3DS over 2 years ago with CTR Transfers, I think that should work, because I remember thinking of them as system packages. You havent got much to lose aswell, because you have no NAND backup and can only boot payloads so I would give it a shot.

3. OkazakiTheOtaku

OkazakiTheOtaku no thanks, I don't want a custom title

Jul 20, 2016
    Japan
    Sounds like your NAND is just corrupted. Assuming you were using B9S, boot into GodMode9 and use a CTRNAND transfer.

4. am714
    OP

am714 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 1, 2018
    Italy
    Ok i will try, now the problem will be getting the microsd out... It is soft bricked so hope it works. Still asking why it bricked i installed all the cias in the content6.update_n3ds on the gamecart idk, i'm a idiot

5. OkazakiTheOtaku

OkazakiTheOtaku no thanks, I don't want a custom title

Jul 20, 2016
    Japan
    You can't install system cia files and expect something *not* to break.

6. DavidRO99

DavidRO99 Average Ryzen user.

Jun 11, 2016
    Korea, North
    your back-door
    Maybe partial update CIA's that were only made to be applied on a certain firmware version? I dont know.

7. MewAndKirby

MewAndKirby Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2017
    United States
    What I did was, turn it off, take out the game and sd card, and reboot. If it shows a brightish black screen, then it will boot properly and you will be able to put ur game and sd card back in.

8. am714
    OP

am714 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 1, 2018
    Italy
    i bricked installing old update .cias

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

You may be true the fact that the home menu is only 7 megabytes maybe they are like games updates. Maybe manually deleting them from ctr may fix. But i will do a ctr transfer just to be sure to not get a bootrom error

Also just wondering with decrypt9 i can dumps firms what if try to boot safemode firm from b9s?

9. zoogie

zoogie playing around in the dsiware

pip Developer
    Nov 30, 2014
    Micronesia, Federated States of
    CTRNAND transfer seems really drastic for this kind of problem. I would first rule out the sd card by renaming Nintendo 3DS and seeing if it boots then.

10. am714
    OP

am714 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 1, 2018
    Italy
    I repeat the first post i installed old system updates cias found on a gamecard to test what would happen and what system version they were

11. StarGazerTom
    This message by StarGazerTom has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, May 2, 2018, Reason: Shitpost.
    Apr 28, 2018
  12. am714
    OP

am714 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 1, 2018
    Italy
    UPDATE: I was browsing the ctr nand and found that the home menu is only 19 kilobytes wt*? I think the home menu fu**** up

Other Update: i did a nand backup this morning but after deleted io hope that 2gb file didn't got overwritten so i can restore it. If i can't then goodbye nnid and friendcode..(i am also an idiot because thinking there was nothin more to do with corrupted cias i wiped the ctr nand due being bored and only backed up movable.sed)

I need help the ctr transfer image has a serial that is not mine that is banned from online anyway to change? and get old friend code and serial?

I Found local friend code seed is emtpy only 0 in hex editor

EDIT: I changed my serial editing a file on the ctr nand the secure info a to be accurate and now the serial match how i am supposed to get my friend code back?

13. PabloMK7

PabloMK7 Red Yoshi! ^ω^

pip Developer
    Feb 21, 2014
    Spain
    Yoshi's Island
    Since you wiped your ctrnand (this happens for doing random things without knowing) there's nothing you can do without a backup. You will have to follow a guide to use one of those public seeds.

14. am714
    OP

am714 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 1, 2018
    Italy
    fak don't you know how to recreate the file knowing the friend code or how the file is made?

UPDATE: i changed the serial code so i was able to login to my nnid again, if someone knows how to edit local friend code seeds and get my old one pls tell me any kind of help wanted

15. Wizardkoer

Wizardkoer Wii Veteran - 17

Jul 14, 2015
    Australia
    Use NTRBoot to install a ctrtransfer image

16. am714
    OP

am714 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 1, 2018
    Italy
    I do not have ntrboot and never gonna have.
    I asked if there is a way to get my old friend code back by editing local friend code seed.

Last edited by am714, May 1, 2018
  17. 8BitWonder

8BitWonder Small Homebrew Dev

Jan 23, 2016
    United States
    47 4F 54 20 45 45 4D
    Might want to reconsider your tone towards people trying to help you.

In any case; Since it sounds like you wiped your CTRNand, you're not going to be able to recover your original lfcs_b. You will need to find and use an unbanned public seed as stated earlier.

18. am714
    OP

am714 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 1, 2018
    Italy
    Yes I've been rude but i get tired of peoples saying the same things over and over again
    I am already using a public seed from a random site on the web. I only wish someone knew the lfcs.b algorithm

19. Wizardkoer

Wizardkoer Wii Veteran - 17

Jul 14, 2015
    Australia
    Tired of people saying the same thing over and over again? We're also tired of people like you acting like cunts when we're trynna help. So tone that tilt-meter and voice box down a bit.

You literally bricked your thing and you want to recover your friend code from it? Not gonna happen buddy, and like I said your only chance is NTRBoot with a ctrtransfer since you don't have a nand backup. People are saying the same thing over and over again because that's what you should be doing mate.

You're never gonna have NTRboot? Then you're out of luck buddy if you can't afford $10 for a pre-ntrboot flashed flashcart yet you can afford a 3DS. Have fun with your new paperweight hehehehe.

20. am714
    OP

am714 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 1, 2018
    Italy
    now i am getting pissed off i said if there is a way to change my friend code to the old one i already did a ctr transfer are you fu**ing blind ? Do you even read beforw posting offtopic?
    It was only a soft brick caused by bad system cias installed

Last edited by am714, May 1, 2018
  21. astrangeone

astrangeone GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    If people could figure out the friend code bullshit, do you think they won't tell you how to do it?

THERE IS NO WAY TO RECOVER YOUR SYSTEM'S INFO WITHOUT A NAND BACKUP.

Be happy that your system still works now.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted