Apple I have a choice between iOS devices, so I have questions.

Which should I choose?

• iPhone 5

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • iPad 4

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • iPod Touch 5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Older iOS device (please comment)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Howdy to all. If anybody here doesn't know (which I'm assuming is everybody), I'll be having my birthday in half a month. That means that I'll have to gift myself a present(well, yeah, my parents will help me with 200 levs or so, but for an iOS device that isn't much). I'll sort everything out in spoilers, so the whole thing looks less messy.
But why not Android, one may ask.

Firstly, while I haven't got experience with the newest iOS devices, I've jailbreaked(jailbroken, I dunno) some of my friends' iPads and iPhones, which seemed much fitter for multi-tasking (I mean, running a dozen apps at the same time is impressive for a dual-core A4x on an iPhone 4S) and overall worked much smoother and more stable than Android. But Android has customisability, another person may say. My answer: screw customisability. I've noticed that I haven't customised my Android phone at all, so...yeah.

Secondly, game development. SFML 2.2 is about to be released with iOS support and SDL 2.0 already has that. And it'd be really awesome to add another available platform for my disposal. Of course, I'll need real hardware to test my apps, which is where the device I want comes in.

Thirdly, games. Yeah, I know, iOS has tons of freemium, pay to win type of crap. But it's still better than Android, which doesn't have many games at all(ya know, because it's so damn easy to pirate on an Android and devs are scared of that). So, until I have this, this and this on Android, I'll still think that iOS has the better games selection.
So, current possibilities are:
1. Getting an iPad 4 32 Gigs(since it's the same price as 16 here, don't know why).
2. Selling my LG Optimus 2x(the ROM of which I recently fixed) and getting an iPhone 5 16 Gigs(sadly, thare are no other versions with more memory).
3. Getting an iPod Touch/iPad Mini, which I think would be the worst possibility.
4. Getting an iPad 2(iPad 3 is just a 2 with Retina, so it can go fuck itself) or an iPhone 4/4S(the only difference between the two being the a bit faster A4X and Siri, which I can easily install on a Jailbroken iPhone 4).

My experienceless opinions on the 4 options:
Option 1:
What I like: Bigger Screen, longer battery.
What I dislike: No portability and no phone(although it'd be a strange thing to put a tablet on your ear and talk with someone :P)
Extra notes:
Well, I'll be using it for other thngs, except the mentioned ones above:
a) I'll bring this with me instead of my laptop to different C++ competitions and lectures, since I'd be entirely as capable of writing code on it as I would be on a laptop(and, yes, I did find a C++ compiler for iOS. It requires Internet, but I'll have Wi-Fi at the hotels and schools I'll be staying at, so it doesn't bother me).
b) I'll also buy a Wacom Pen with it, so I can draw anywhere without carrying my bulky laptop, whose battery drops for an hour and a Bamboo that can easily break, seeing as how slim it is.

Option 2:
What I like: Portability, it being a phone.
What I dislike: Small screen, average battery
Extra notes:
Umm, nothing else. I can't do those thing I can on the iPad, so... onwards!

Option 3:
What I like: Lower price, good battery on the iPad Mini, as far as I've heard
What I dislike: worse specs(I have no idea what's the difference in performance, though) and smaller screens.
Extra notes:
I think I already expressed my opinion up there.

Option 4:
What I like: Even lower price
What I dislike: Worse specs(again, no idea how it'll impact performance)
Extra notes:
If there isn't a big difference in performance, I might as well get an iPad 2/iPhone 4

And that concludes my huge opening post.

Ok, just a side-note: If anybody has played TWEwY:Solo Remix on an A4X or better device, could they please tell me if it lags or anything, since I noticed when playing it on a friend's iPhone 4 that dialogue took forever to load and sometimes the framerate jumped down to 10 FPS or something near that, which I did not like.

Oh, and the site I'll be buying off of will be http://novtelefon.com/ for anybody interested. Warning:Bulgarian ahead. Prepare your Google Translate in advance,

ilman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Wait, so for development, you would rather buy not only the devkit, but a Mac to RUN the devkit. Hell bro, if you REALLY don't want Android your better jumping on the WP8 wagon.
You can't develop an iOS game on Windows? OK, Apple's officially a lot more retarded in my opinion now. Looks like I'll have to be using Unity in that case. Thanks for letting me know.
Seems like mobile phone OSs won't like me until I either learn Java(possibly never), Google improves its NDK and SFML gets Android support(which will take ages) or Apple releases a Windows SDK(by knowing Apple, that'd absolutely never happen).

Ok, in that case scratch App development off the list. Still enough reasons to get an iOS device.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
My opinion... you've got a phone - you don't need another phone. That also rules out the iPod. You've got a laptop, so you only need iPad if you want portability/battery or iOS apps.

If note taking is all you want, then the iPad Mini might be the best choice (smaller screen but better portability - battery life is same-ish). If you want something a little more powerful for running apps/games, then iPad 4 is a better choice. The main downside is how limited the iOS market is, but then that's what your laptop is for.

I personally got an iPad 2 on launch day, even though I've got PCs and laptops and Android phones (I have an iPod Touch and iPhone 5 too for that matter) and I make use of it nearly every day.

ilman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
My opinion... you've got a phone - you don't need another phone. That also rules out the iPod. You've got a laptop, so you only need iPad if you want portability/battery or iOS apps.

If note taking is all you want, then the iPad Mini might be the best choice (smaller screen but better portability - battery life is same-ish). If you want something a little more powerful for running apps/games, then iPad 4 is a better choice. The main downside is how limited the iOS market is, but then that's what your laptop is for.

I personally got an iPad 2 on launch day, even though I've got PCs and laptops and Android phones (I have an iPod Touch and iPhone 5 too for that matter) and I make use of it nearly every day.
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll get the iPad 4, since a portable typing/coding/drawing device will simplify quite a number of my trips.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Firstly, while I haven't got experience with the newest iOS devices, I've jailbreaked(jailbroken, I dunno) some of my friends' iPads and iPhones, which seemed much fitter for multi-tasking (I mean, running a dozen apps at the same time is impressive for a dual-core A4x on an iPhone 4S) and overall worked much smoother and more stable than Android. But Android has customisability, another person may say. My answer: screw customisability. I've noticed that I haven't customised my Android phone at all, so...yeah.

Secondly, game development. SFML 2.2 is about to be released with iOS support and SDL 2.0 already has that. And it'd be really awesome to add another available platform for my disposal. Of course, I'll need real hardware to test my apps, which is where the device I want comes in.

Thirdly, games. Yeah, I know, iOS has tons of freemium, pay to win type of crap. But it's still better than Android, which doesn't have many games at all(ya know, because it's so damn easy to pirate on an Android and devs are scared of that). So, until I have this, this and this on Android, I'll still think that iOS has the better games selection.
I know I wont change your mind but I'll try and rebuttal some of your points

multitasking:
not sure if you messed with an android phone/tablet recently but pretty much they all multitask fine, even the lower end ones (assuming at least 1GB ram) have no problems with it
if you get a samsung device you get true multi tasking
http://imageshack.us/a/img208/1165/axkq.jpg
or to the extreme end
http://s21.postimg.org/jnn64ubw7/Screenshot_2013_09_06_23_44_44.jpg

games:
I wont beat around the bush here, ios does have more games but for the most part they actually share alot of the games
why not just play the ds version of twewy via drastic?
russian dancing men, dev said he would bring it to android if the game did good enough on ios, this was 2 years ago though, so dont know if it didnt do that great sales wise or if he just didnt bother

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: