Deleted member 329676

All sweet & honeycomb
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just had to share this someone who could possibly appreciate it.

So I ordered myself a late 2013 MacBook Pro with retina display (newest model) from the Apple Refurbished site (where I get all of my Apple products) last week, and it just got here today. I'd been watching the refurbs for awhile, because it can take some time for one with the right specs to pop up, and I finally found one with some upgraded specs for a decent price, so I went with one that had a 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5 and 8 GB of ram, and a 128 GB hard drive.

I'm not really posting to debate the specs or whether you think they're good enough or not. I'm not much of a PC/Mac gamer so I didn't feel I had to max out the specs, as I tend to stick with consoles, but I'm a hobbyist photographer/videographer and felt the baseline model wouldn't quite be enough but I have plenty of external hard drives, so built in disk space wasn't a key upgrade for me.

Anyways, the package shows up today, and of course I instantly open it up and start getting it set up and messing around with it, installing Steam, etc. After a couple hours, I opened up the About This Mac panel just to check out the specs and learn more about my machine, and low and behold, I didn't get the Mac I ordered!

Instead, I got a much better one! The Macbook I'm typing this on has been maxed out a 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 and 16 GB of ram!!! I did a classic double take, and then picked up the box, and the box label shows the lower specs that I had actually paid for. So I got a model priced at $1,900 retail for a model $400 less at retail, plus I bought refurbished so I saved even more. I feel like I won the freaking lottery!

Of course, my wife is just like, "that's nice honey," so I just had to share my enthusiasm with you guys (and gals). Some poor sucker might be opening up his new Apple purchase today to find out that someone at Apple put the wrong sticker on the wrong box or something, and paid a buttload more for the computer I had paid for.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I just had to share this someone who could possibly appreciate it.

So I ordered myself a late 2013 MacBook Pro with retina display (newest model) from the Apple Refurbished site (where I get all of my Apple products) last week, and it just got here today. I'd been watching the refurbs for awhile, because it can take some time for one with the right specs to pop up, and I finally found one with some upgraded specs for a decent price, so I went with one that had a 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5 and 8 GB of ram, and a 128 GB hard drive.

I'm not really posting to debate the specs or whether you think they're good enough or not. I'm not much of a PC/Mac gamer so I didn't feel I had to max out the specs, as I tend to stick with consoles, but I'm a hobbyist photographer/videographer and felt the baseline model wouldn't quite be enough but I have plenty of external hard drives, so built in disk space wasn't a key upgrade for me.

Anyways, the package shows up today, and of course I instantly open it up and start getting it set up and messing around with it, installing Steam, etc. After a couple hours, I opened up the About This Mac panel just to check out the specs and learn more about my machine, and low and behold, I didn't get the Mac I ordered!

Instead, I got a much better one! The Macbook I'm typing this on has been maxed out a 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 and 16 GB of ram!!! I did a classic double take, and then picked up the box, and the box label shows the lower specs that I had actually paid for. So I got a model priced at $1,900 retail for a model $400 less at retail, plus I bought refurbished so I saved even more. I feel like I won the freaking lottery!

Of course, my wife is just like, "that's nice honey," so I just had to share my enthusiasm with you guys (and gals). Some poor sucker might be opening up his new Apple purchase today to find out that someone at Apple put the wrong sticker on the wrong box or something, and paid a buttload more for the computer I had paid for.

That's nice honey.

XD

Deleted member 329676

All sweet & honeycomb
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was supposed to get an i5 processor and only 8 GB ram.

I really like Apple refurbished, because they say they can have some "minor cosmetic" issues, like scratches or whatever, but I've been purchasing refurbed for years now and I've never seen a single blemish.

Reactions: Sicklyboy

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I wonder what a Windows laptop with those specs would have cost you.
All flamebait aside, that's pretty nice. Although honestly 16GB and an i7 are not a major improvement over 8GB and an i5 unless you plan to do heavy video work, but it may come in handy in the future. And hey it's free stuff.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm waiting for the internet hall monitors to come in and tell you to report it to Apple.

Anyway, congratz that's pretty awesome. I shall also withhold my typical apple comments.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The refurbs sometimes just upgrade the unit randomly. That's pretty awesome, and glad that you got a better machine! :)

DarkWork0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Patxinco

Riding a Shooting Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
You WON the lottery, man ^^

Just a question, serial numbers match? The Mac and the box one? You could have warranty problems if not, but well i don't know how apple works, so maybe not.

Again, Gratz!!!

BvanBart

Gaming addict #2 and some
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Good for you :).

You could however check the Serial number. If that is a match (which i doubt) then there is indeed a faulty delivery. No bad there for you :P.
Only thing that might be a problem is that you do not have warranty. Because the serial does not match.

Deleted member 329676

All sweet & honeycomb
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I'm surprised to report that the serial number does indeed match, so it would appear that Apple bumped up my purchase on purpose. It could have been that they sold out of the type I ordered, so they sent me a better one. I'm not really sure what happened, but I'm still stoked.

As far as that $500-ish windows laptop, as someone mentioned it doesn't have the SSD or the super high def display, or a Haswell chip or Intel HD5100 graphics, among other things. And like I said, I'm not really a computer gamer. If I was, I for sure would have gone Windows with dedicated graphics, etc.

I'm still debating installing a Windows partition for the few gaming needs I do have, but I'm not crazy about forking over an extra $90 for the OEM install disk. Anyone know of the cheapest way to get a copy of Windows, either via USB or DVD? (I would prefer to do so legally).

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well I'm surprised to report that the serial number does indeed match, so it would appear that Apple bumped up my purchase on purpose. It could have been that they sold out of the type I ordered, so they sent me a better one. I'm not really sure what happened, but I'm still stoked.

As far as that $500-ish windows laptop, as someone mentioned it doesn't have the SSD or the super high def display, or a Haswell chip or Intel HD5100 graphics, among other things. And like I said, I'm not really a computer gamer. If I was, I for sure would have gone Windows with dedicated graphics, etc.

I'm still debating installing a Windows partition for the few gaming needs I do have, but I'm not crazy about forking over an extra $90 for the OEM install disk. Anyone know of the cheapest way to get a copy of Windows, either via USB or DVD? (I would prefer to do so legally).

It sounds like Apple screwed up with their stocks, and so they sent you a better model, which they DID have in stock.

In any case, congratulations man :yay:

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country

Which version of Windows do you want? I've got some spare (legit) keys for Windows 8.1, Windows 8 and Windows 7. You can download the setup ISO and burn it or convert it for USB install. PM me if you want to trade or something.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder what a Windows laptop with those specs would have cost you.
All flamebait aside, that's pretty nice. Although honestly 16GB and an i7 are not a major improvement over 8GB and an i5 unless you plan to do heavy video work, but it may come in handy in the future. And hey it's free stuff.

Pretty similar actually. Give or take 100 - 200 dollars. High end laptops from popular manufacturers with HD displays similar to the retina go for around the same price. The "Apple tax" as we call it is merely for their software, OSX and any included software suits. Businesses like HP include tons of extra software to artificially drive up the prices to make a little extra with very little cost on their part.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.