Hacking I Bricked my Wii but I Need Advice Before Sending it off

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
... Should I include with a letter telling the repair person not to update my console beyond 3,4. The reason I believe this might work is because I had a Pink and White DS from Japan that had a blown speaker and Nintendo of America was cool with my Japanese warranty and told me to include a letter telling the repair person to not switch my system so... I figure sending a letter with my Wii might be worth it. What do you guys think?

TheNewMouse

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
not a chance in hell personally...but hey try it and let us know..

i think they might just update it anyway to annoy you just for sending such a obvious indication of homebrew intention lol

noir

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When they fixed my brick it came back with 3.2 on it. That was just a few months back.

SomeGuy2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would think that the repair dept. is well aware of a higher volume of "bricked" wii's are to be expected since the 4.0 update ect.. and since im sure they don't want anymore pre 4.0 system menu based wii's out there I would think they would upgrade it to 4.0

but then again I would read through there eula or something to see what to expect when sending the wii into a repair dept.

If you ask them to not upgrade it to 4.0 they might either do it in fear of you using the wii for "un-intended" purposes. but then again I guess its really up to the person who opens the box or reads the letter.

Bottom line is I would think your odds are better that you dont send in a letter.

But I would think that since SM 4.0 is a good sized update that they have it in there standard proceedure to make sure that all repaired wiis have the latest core/sm updates.

I would recommend you explore all options in these forums by providing as much info as to what you did and what happened before sending it to a repair shop.

Just my .02 cents,

good luck,

SomeGuy

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bricked it fumbling with my DVDx problem I did another downgrade and then updated again and did the following

Install cios rev 8 ( 9 and 10 have too many usb issues for my taste)

Installed the ios60 that is usually talked about in the 4.0 update threads

Installed preloaer (save my hiney device)

Installed cioscorp 1

went to wad manager and installed cios60bf (for cioscorp... now usually once i get to this part i just use startpatch 4.0 and everything is cool)

installed ios36 from cioscorp 2 (only because someone in another thread said that cios36 from cioscorp2 would help with smash so i was testing and THIS is where my trouble started)

I restart from wad manager and get the "corrupt files error"

I immediately go to preloader and go directly to the homebrew channel

from HC to wad manager

and HERES WHERE I MUCKED UP BADLY

instead of uninstalling ios36 first or even correcting it with the cioscorp 1 version of same ios I uninstalled ios60bf which uninstalls the ios used by preloader so not thinking i...

uninstalled ios6obf first

then uninstalled ios36

bam the wii freezes i restart and when i turn it on, i get green light, disc spinning if i put a disc in but NOTHING
frown.gif

Riley

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ya ur FULLY BRICKED. If you uninstall the IOS preloader is using, then ur screwed. Never ever uninstall an IOS. Unless its a custom one like 249.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The really messed up part is had i known that i only needeed to advance installed DVDx to ios 222 (i think) because i had the USB cios installed, I would never had this issue
frown.gif
BTW I learned that like 5 minutes AFTER i bricked my system
tongue.gif

r9delta

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even though I say this as someone who partakes in homebrew and piracy, if I were a person in charge of repairs and I saw a note like that I would make sure it comes back to you to very way you sent it...bricked or would at least make sure to update it to 4.0 purposely. I would say don't send in the letter out of fear that they'll refuse to fix it for you and be content with the fact that you'd have a working Wii.

jwcgator

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
LightyKD said:
I bricked it fumbling with my DVDx problem I did another downgrade and then updated again and did the following

Install cios rev 8 ( 9 and 10 have too many usb issues for my taste)

Installed the ios60 that is usually talked about in the 4.0 update threads

Installed preloaer (save my hiney device)

Installed cioscorp 1

went to wad manager and installed cios60bf (for cioscorp... now usually once i get to this part i just use startpatch 4.0 and everything is cool)

installed ios36 from cioscorp 2 (only because someone in another thread said that cios36 from cioscorp2 would help with smash so i was testing and THIS is where my trouble started)

I restart from wad manager and get the "corrupt files error"

I immediately go to preloader and go directly to the homebrew channel

from HC to wad manager

and HERES WHERE I MUCKED UP BADLY

instead of uninstalling ios36 first or even correcting it with the cioscorp 1 version of same ios I uninstalled ios60bf which uninstalls the ios used by preloader so not thinking i...

uninstalled ios6obf first

then uninstalled ios36

bam the wii freezes i restart and when i turn it on, i get green light, disc spinning if i put a disc in but NOTHING
frown.gif

Ouch...epic fail ;-;

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right now Id be happy with a working Wii of any system menu Ill just be forced to wait for the bannerbomb like every other Wii noob. As for my Wii warranty wise, I just got it on October and did the 3 month extension just for registration so my Wii should be cool. The only dissapointing thing is this is the only time Ive ever had a not so cool rep. I had this chick who frankly didnt care about anything. Usually everything is pretty friendly to the point I can have actual conversations with the phone reps and this isnt the first ninty system ive sent or helped a friend or customer send to them. Shoot my Club Nintendo up until the backup loader days was superb. Wanna talk about a ginormous ninty fan boy, you're looking at one. Heck i even have a Wii Jacket.

games2007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's an idea:

Tell them not to update it to 4.0 because you have lots of virtual console games that you can't re-download because your internet isn't working.

I think that will work =)

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
playallday said:
Say you don't agree with the legally stuff in 4.0 but you agree with 3.3.

But that would require a major change in the EULA and not to mention make them hold my system longer... i remember they held a DS longer just because they wanted my permission to take my animal crossing skin off
tongue.gif
Sometimes they're funny like that

yoitsme

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The repair department is not gonna spend the time to upgrade every Wii. Since you have a full brick they'll probably just give you a "new" one that they have in their facility which is probably an older wii that has either 3.2 or 3.3 firmware on it. They'll just transfer your wii shop data and send back to you with the older firmware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-