Dark Hadou Master
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
ok, so i got a first gen ps3 with the card reader and 4 frontal usb ports... 80gb...

the blu ray is shot... it will not read any disc AT ALL.. nothing loads whatsoever,
i have restored to factory defaults and tried everything to fix it software wise...
so last night i opened it up with intentions to clean it out with air.

when i opened it up to my surprise the little tiniest red and black cord that connects to the blu ray drive had its black wire cut.... so i asked the guy i got it from and he said he had tried to repair the drive but accidentally cut the black wire of the tiny red and black connector. now the drive has two issues. 1 it doesnt work at all and 2. the tiny black wire is cut... tonight when i get home from work i am going to post pictures...

now when it comes to tech stuff i am no novice. i hard mod consoles every day.. i want to know what my family (tempers) think about what i should do?

i know im probably gonna have to buy a new kes-400aaa but my problem is that black wire that was cut... what can i do about that? it was pulled right out of the connector. is there a way to buy an entire blu ray drive (grey case and all ribbons and wires and such) and then just swap the controller board with the one i have? because as i understand it the ps3 mobo and blu ray controller board are married with a key like 360's...

please before i go any further i would like to know what you kind folks think my best course of action should be...
and also can anyone suggest a place i could get the parts i need?
money is not really an issue i just dont want to spend more than this ps3 is worth...

thank you all for any help you may offer, and thanks for reading this even if you cannot help.

anyone???

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How small are the wires? I'd try to cut off part of the insulation, until the wires are shown, connect them properly, and then apply electrical tape to prevent separation. Of course, I'm a n00b, when it comes to guts of a PS3. I do not believe that the Blu-Ray disc drive is attached key wise to the console. Or else it wouldn't make much sense for people to sell the Drives on eBAY. Or, you should get a PS3 Break, or a clone, so you won't need the drive at all.

Pictures?

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've opened my PS3 a few times, but I can't remember of those little black wires. Some Macro'd pics would be nice
wink.gif

terminal_illness

Dark Hadou Master
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
im back at work again so i cannot post pics yet...

the wire is ripped out of the connector, theres nothing to splice on the one end.. and the wires are VERY VERY TINY..

matter of fact here
201079202844489.jpg

thats the cord, it ripped out of that connector.

and yes ps3 drive boards and mobos are married... you cannot replace an entire drive, well you can you just have to install the old drive board on the new drive and get rid of the drive board for the new one(most dont even come with one anyway because they are usless except for the ps3 it was manufactured with.)

so does anyone know where i can get a complete blu ray drive for a ps3(minus the drive board) from a RESPECTABLE source?

terminal_illness

Dark Hadou Master
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Arctic said:
Why not try eBay? You might get a better price there.

terminal_illness said:
anyone? bump-a-roo
Please don't bump, we type on our time, not yours.

i only bumped because it had fallen back so far... ive given people shit for bumping too but only when they are really impatient. i waited a day and a half untill it fell back to 3/4 of the way on the second page. sorry.

oh yeah, so that sensor is internally located, and the connector that im talking about plugs into the right side of the drive controller board.with only one wire connected it still works i think too. so thats wierd.

i found a local guy that will repair it and install a new drive for 70 bucks canadian, wich is cheaper than i can even find the part alone for, so even though i am perfectly capable of installing it myself, i think im gonna let him do it because he offers a 6 month "warranty" if you will.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I cant tell what my favorite N64 game is