I am so getting a pet fox

Redhorse

Warehouse 13 Curator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Plus I'm pretty sure you have to get a permit.

In many places in the US you will need an 'Exotic Animals' permit, which does not cost much and means little except that you are willing to take the responsibility if you get bitten.

EDIT: Many [exotic] animals brought in from other countries are sold as 'domesticated' such as parrots and various, feline and canine animal beeds. The pet shot owners pay someone to bring them in, and there's a guy whos down on his luck, catching them in the wild and selling them to the pet shop [as domestic, high quality] who's trying to increase his profit/ expense margin. I've persoanlly dealth with these 'breeders' before.

Only your hard earned and (often very) expensive' experience will tell for sure.
I do hope for the best for you though.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In many places in the US you will need an 'Exotic Animals' permit, which does not cost much and means little except that you are willing to take the responsibility if you get bitten.

Exactly, exotics aren't like a cat or a dog (but a fox is like a cat-dog, they're funny animals :rofl2:) but at least in Utah, you need a permit and other BS you have to go through.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't decide what kind of fox I want, such as the color as there are many varieties, or morphs as they are known. The red fox has countless colors to chose from, these include marble, cross, silver, cinnamon, fire and ice, platinum gold....there are a lot of them. Some colors are more expensive because of how they're bred.

Here's what a cinnamon looks like
P1010451.jpg

Marble Fox
platinum.jpg

The next matter of business is a good name. Fox McCloud, Kyuubi, Kurama, Tails, etc? I'm bad with names ROFL

Please read this:
Please do research before claiming foxes are capable of killing humans, the only way they can is if they have rabies, but that goes with every other warm-blooded mammal that has it

Size is irrelevant.

I will need to disagree, but I do appreciate your concern. Foxes' sheer size (or lack thereof) cannot overpower a human. Rabies would be the only way to kill a human, and even then foxes are very wary of people. A human could easily kick the crap out of a fox in self defense and break its rib cage before it would have a chance to bite ya:P

But believe me, I am taking every precaution as I research, it's not something I'd jump the gun on, though I usually do that anyway :rofl2: No worries, I'm not upset:P

Can you think of any cool fox names?

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anything, make sure that there's a vet in your area that can take care of foxes. I don't see what could go wrong so long as it's kept away from smaller children, and as for animals, well, my neighbors cat occasionally drops a dead bird or two on our front lawn, so I don't think it'd be too different if it was a fox doing it, right? My uncle had a marble fox when we still lived in Michigan, so owning a fox isn't such a strange thing to me.

EDIT: We called it Vulpy.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anything, make sure that there's a vet in your area that can take care of foxes. I don't see what could go wrong so long as it's kept away from smaller children, and as for animals, well, my neighbors cat occasionally drops a dead bird or two on our front lawn, so I don't think it'd be too different if it was a fox doing it, right? My uncle had a marble fox when we still lived in Michigan, so owning a fox isn't such a strange thing to me.

Dude, you should check out my fox thread (if you haven't already...:P), you'd go crazy from seeing the fox pics I took when I play with her. Such a sweet fox :wub: I think Michigan and Arkansas are the two states with the most lax laws on exotics. But for sure, I'll definitely keep them away from kids. Most kids don't know the proper way to take approaching them ;) You need to keep them outside, but in a large open space impossible to escape from, with plenty to keep it occupied.

Reactions: Hikaru

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxes are absolutely adorable. Definitely at the top of my short "pets I wish I could have" list, right behind owls.

That they are, nothing makes me squee more than a fluffy adorable fox, and I'm nearly 28 years old:rofl2: . They very awesome animals to play with, since I do that at my internship, it helps establish or give me rudimentary ideas on how they act as pets.
They're so fluffy I'm gonna die!!!

But seriously, they just have that charm, something about them makes them adorable, can't figure it out thoughB-)

Reactions: TripleSMoon

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Um... Do they ever open their eyes? Reminds me of Brock, from Pokemon.
They do, I just love their closed eye/happy fox face is all :wub: Not a bad name at all, if I get a male, I'll name him Brock, in fact, I feel like using Photoshop to add his eyes on a fox, or on a fox Pokemon

The urban Foxes in my area have ruined my perception of foxes, but thoses are damn cute.
That they are, foxes are so bloody adorable:P
Just make sure that your fox doesn't go rampage and destroy your village!
Only if I named him Kurama or Kyuubi :rofl2: But I'm going back to my internship today, and my dad's letting me borrow his video camera, heheheheh.

How ironic that the sanctuary owners happened to plan on me coming today, of all days. Very sneakily appropriate of them :P

Here's the fox, Skitter, who's an absolute sweetheart around people, with her eyes open

P7070071_zps785d4538.jpg

Reactions: TripleSMoon

ICS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh god, I've been so touched by this thread. Makes me want to get a fox although I really can't see it happening. I've read every damn post here, time well spent. :') Call it Vulpix, please. ;)

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh god, I've been so touched by this thread. Makes me want to get a fox although I really can't see it happening. I've read every damn post here, time well spent. :') Call it Vulpix, please. ;)

Really? Thank you for liking the information and the pictures (speak of which, I've a new album coming up soon!) as cheesy as it may sound ROFL. Foxes are my favorite animals, hands down:wub:

Reactions: ICS

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo