GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
How do you plan to play them?
From Disc of from Hard drive?
On a real Gamecube, or on the Wii? If it's from Wii, maybe the Wii section of the forum is better to get your answer.

"burning to external" is confusing.
Burning is done on DVD disc only
External means HDD, not discs, and they hold ISO or game files. If you meant making an ISO from your game it's not called burning but dumping.

You already have the game discs, so I suppose you want to play from Wii, and either:
1- Burn the two games on a single DVD (the link you posted suggest that)
or
2- Make ISO backup from the disc and play from USB.

In both cases disc swapping is working, but depend on the method you are using.

1- If you burn multiple ISO on a single DVD, then you will need a launcher compatible with disc Swapping. I think cMIOS from Wiigator is doing it. you select the Second disc first (with Z), then launch the First Disc.
When you need to swap, eject and reinsert the disc in the Wii, and it will automatically load disc you selected with Z.
Attention: This method is not working if you have a modchip in your Wii. the cMIOS swapping selection menu is not displayed, and the GCOS standard menu is loaded instead (which doesn't support swap-loading).

2- If you want to load a game from ISO form, I suggest you look in the Wii hacking forum, there are two backup loaders:
• Devolution
• DIOS MIOS and DIOS MIOS Lite

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
not what I meant...in USB loader GX you can take your games and rip them to the hard drive...did you not read the thing I sent? look at the thing about twin snakes.

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Please help. Also, I think I worded it wrong. I meant games with two or more discs. Not multi discs as in burned gamecube games on a blank disc. Sorry.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
not what I meant...in USB loader GX you can take your games and rip them to the hard drive...did you not read the thing I sent? look at the thing about twin snakes.
what did you send?
- you mean the thing you wrote?
I've read it, but you doesn't clearly state what you want to do, due to wrong word used it could be interpreted in many different ways.

- Or the link you gave?
The link you gave is TOTALLY for something else --> it's for ISO burned to disc! nothing to do with USBloaderGX.

So, you are using USBloaderGX, and you want to play games like Twin Snake in backup format.
There are two ways to do it:
- DIOS MIOS
or
- Devolution

Like I told, I suggest you to look in the Wii hacking and Wii backup loader section to read more information and follow guides to play GameCube games in backup format from USB loaders.

If you tell me which method you want to use between DIOS MIOS or Devolution, I can help you and explain how to do it with USBloaderGX.

I'm moving this thread in the Wii section as it's not related to GameCube console.

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alright. Basiclly I have my own twin snakes discs. And I can use USBloaderGX's feature to back them up to my external, but the link I sent says something about disc switching being a problem. As I won't be playing them off discs(My drive is pretty bad, and I like to preserve my discs.)

So once I finish the first disc of twin snakes, and it asks me to insert disc 2. Will I just put the disc in? and can I take it out? or will I have to make sure I save before it asks me to switch discs,restart USB loader GX, THEN select the 2nd disc which I uploaded onto my hard drive? or when I upload it. Will it count disc 2 as disc 1 as well?

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
....did anyone read the last thing I said?...

I don't want/can't use discs that much. So when it asks me to switch the disc, can I just put the disc in. then take it out?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Alright. Basiclly I have my own twin snakes discs. And I can use USBloaderGX's feature to back them up to my external, but the link I sent says something about disc switching being a problem. As I won't be playing them off discs(My drive is pretty bad, and I like to preserve my discs.)

So once I finish the first disc of twin snakes, and it asks me to insert disc 2. Will I just put the disc in? and can I take it out? or will I have to make sure I save before it asks me to switch discs,restart USB loader GX, THEN select the 2nd disc which I uploaded onto my hard drive? or when I upload it. Will it count disc 2 as disc 1 as well?
....did anyone read the last thing I said?...
I don't want/can't use discs that much. So when it asks me to switch the disc, can I just put the disc in. then take it out?
I'm sorry, but I still don't understand you and you still haven't reply to my questions.

You said that you don't want to play from Disc because your drive is pretty bad. (ok, I understand)

Then you said that you are currently playing Twin Snake's first disc? (You don't explain how).
then you said you can't use your disc drive, but still ask about putting a disc inside the drive. (why? You don't need to use the disc at all, but it depends how you are playing gamecube games)
You are already playing the first disc of that game or not?

If you are already playing it, which method are you using?
- Disc (retail or backup)
- Backup disc with multi ISO
- backup disc + cMIOS
- backup disc with multiple ISO + cMIOS + GCLoader
- backup disc + DIOS MIOS (Lite)
- backup ISO + DIOS MIOS (Lite)
- backup ISO + Devolution

Edit:
DIOS MIOS and Devolution are the method used inside USBLoaderGX. it's not alternative loaders, it's a method that you use inside the loader to launch GameCube games. so, which settings are you using in USBLoaderGX?

Twin Snake doesn't allow you to save when you need to swapp the disc, so you can't reset and launch next disc from the loader.
You have different method to swap discs:

- Disc (retail or backup): eject and insert disc 2
- Backup disc with multi ISO: Not possible
- backup disc + cMIOS: eject and insert disc 2
- backup disc with multiple ISO + cMIOS + GCLoader: Possible only if you don't have a modchip. load the disc2 with Z and disc1 with A, when you need to swap disc press eject and put back the backup inside the Wii.
- backup disc + DIOS MIOS (Lite): I guess eject insert disc2?
- backup ISO + DIOS MIOS (Lite): Since v2.6, the swap disc is automatic, you have nothing to do. you only need to backup both discs with USBloaderGX (or put disc2.iso and game.iso in the same folder)
- backup ISO + Devolution: press eject to swap the disc. put both iso in the same folder (whatever the name of the file), or use the same filename as DIOS MIOS (game.iso and disc2.iso)

I explained ALL possible method of playing gamecube games.
I don't know which one you are currently using, or which one you intend to use, but they are all here then just make a choice.

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My drive sort of works. I can use discs....but it's kinda finicky.

I mean like, I put disc 1 in. Play it. then, once I need to put in disc 2, can I just put in disc 2, and then take disc 2 out and continue playing? or will it give me a read error? will I need to upload both games to my hard drive?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
If I understand correctly what you're saying, the link is probably old since Dios Mios now CAN do the disk switch but until just recently it couldn't. It's a new feature.

If you have the newest version of GX, r1209, and the newest version of Dios Mios, v2.8, you shouldn't have any problem just ripping both disks to the hard drive. It will put them in the right place so that when the game shows the screen that asks you to switch disks Dios Mios will detect it and automatically switch from using the disk 1 from your hard drive to using disk 2 from your hard drive and the game will keep going as if you had ejected the retail disk 1 and inserted the retail disk 2.

I think GX will still only show the game on the screen once even if you rip both disks to the HDD but don't worry, they're still there and it will switch to the right one when you need it.

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't think the newest dios mios allows discless though does it? I heard that's the reason why they wanted all traces of the older one deleted. I have an older version, and it was difficult to find.

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I made a video expressing my problem. Hopefully this will explain things better, sorry. And I apologize in advance for my annoying 12 year old voice.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I made a video expressing my problem. Hopefully this will explain things better, sorry. And I apologize in advance for my annoying 12 year old voice.
go to the settings and to the credits screen and see what version you have. It's the little "rev" number right before the IOS number in the top, right corner. if it's anything earlier than rev1209 (the latest beta) it can't tell the difference between disc 1 and disc 2 and will only install one or the other. If you don't have it download it here
http://www.mediafire.com/?qdyomo41biv4rei

if you DO have the newest version installed, look in the /games folder in the folder for the game. if there are two ISO files, one named game.iso and the other named disc2.iso the you do have them both in installed and it should switch automatically when you get to that point.

another way is you can make the IOS images yourself on your Wiii with cleanrip and just rename them to those same names and put them in that folder replacing whatever ISO files are already there.

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
...? what do you want me to do? and i'd rather not update, sorry. Too much control from the developers.(I generally don't update anything actually.) should I just get a ISO of the second disc then?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You want to use new features with old program? you prefer staying at version 1.0 and with outdated features by fear of breaking something which is working?
If you don't update your homebrew applications, you won't have support for multi-disc games. Simple as that!

Why don't you answer the question users are asking you?
we asked you which version you see in the credit page, but you didn't answer.

You want help? then listen to users helping you. If you are not willing to follow what users tell you to do, why did you ask for help?

You really want help to play Metal Gear Solid? Yes? Then please, follow this steps by steps:

Update USBLoaderGX
  • Download this file : USBloaderGX r1209 (latest on the day of this tutorial, newer version available).
  • Yes, do it! YOU NEED the latest version for multi disc game! if you don't update, it will not work.
  • Inside the zip you have 3 dol files in 3 different folders. Extract the boot.dol located in the folder IOS249 and place it on your SD card (or USB if you are not using SD card), in /apps/usbloader_gx/boot.dol
  • Replace the file if you already have a boot.dol file in that folder. That's all, you updated the loader, BUT you need to launch it from the homebrew channel (remember to launch it from the homebrew channel or you risk still using your old version!)

Update DIOS MIOS (Lite)
  • Go to this place: http://code.google.com/p/diosmios/wiki/Downloads?tm=2
  • If you want to play your backup from USB, download the latest version of DIOS MIOS. (the first link)
  • if you want to play your backup from SD card, download the latest version of DIOS MIOS Lite. (the second link)
  • Yes, Do it! YOU NEED version 2.6 or newer if you want to play multi-Disc Games!
  • v2.6 and 2.7 has bugs, so if you don't want to update to bugged version, then update to 2.8!
  • Extract the wad file from the downloaded zip and place it on your SD or USB
  • On your Wii, use a Wad Manager to install the WAD v2.8 (do not remove the old one, it will replace it automatically)
NOTE: If you want to use SD card, you need enough free space to place two ISO on it.

OK, USBLoader and GameCube are both updated!
Now you need to create the backup (the dump/install/upload/whatever the name you like to use, it's the same thing. The real name is "dump")
Important: You need to dump the two discs before playing. If you dump only disc1 then you can't switch disc!

Create the game backup
  • Launch USBLoaderGX from the homebrew Channel
  • Go into the Settings > last page > Credit
  • Verify that you have everything correctly updated : USBLoaderGX r1209 and DIOS MIOS (Lite) v2.8+
  • Go to Settings > User Path > GameCube main path --> Select your usb1:/games/ folder.
  • Go to Settings > User Path > GameCube SD path --> Select your SDCard:/games/ folder (should already be set correctly)
  • Go back to the main screen, select the 4th Icon in the top menu and enable GameCube. Accept and return to main menu.
  • Insert Game Disc 1, and choose "Install". Select Main path if you have DIOS MIOS, select SD path if you have Dios Mios Lite.
  • When install of Disc1 is complete, eject Disc1
  • Insert Game Disc 2, and choose "Install". Select Main path if you have DIOS MIOS, select SD path if you have Dios Mios Lite.
  • When install is complete, eject Disc2.

Done!

You successfully updated and installed the multi-disc game!
Now you can play the game.

Play the multi-Disc Game
  • In USBLoaderGX, Insert a Gamecube game. (any Disc will work, even another game)
  • When it asks if you want to install or mount, cancel it to return to the main menu (you don't want to install or play from the Disc!)
  • Select the game you want to launch in the list of games (select Metal Gear Solid)
  • USBLoaderGX will ask you if you want to start Disc1 or Disc2 --> Select Disc1
  • Play the game!
  • When you need to swap disc .... you don't have anything to do ! the Discs are swapping automatically without you having to do anything ! Do not eject, do not change anything, just play ! you are already on Disc2 !

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol, Okies. Family graveyard is that way 👉