Homebrew HzMod - old3DS screen streaming

• Thread starter Sono
  • Start date
  • Views 245,441
  • Replies 573
  • Likes 102

What should be HorizonModule renamed to?

• HzMod

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • HzModule

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • HzProc

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • HzDbg

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • HzDebug

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, there is a sad ending...

There are two extra unreleased versions of HzMod:
- one with a modified JPEG encoder which gets ~5-10FPS extra on new3DS
- one with FVENC which gets a lot more FPS on new3DS

Now then...

With the modified JPEG encoder, sadly there is zero performance increase (in fact, it seems to be slower???) on old3DS.
It's also not compatible with SnickerStream without modifications (the colors are messed up due to the modified colormath).

With FVENC, on old3DS I'm 64kilobytes short of RAM. While it's true that I had it working on old3DS (I got ~10FPS in ACNL), I had to reuse memory, which results in graphical glitches (which also decrease the performance, so it might be even better than 10FPS).

So basically old3DS runs "best" as is now. The hardware is really not meant for this, and it shows.
Funnily enough, the crippling factor is access to more RAM, and CPU cache.
While it's true that having more CPU power means more FPS, on a 3DS we're more often crippled by the memory speed than the CPU speed.
I dont remember who helped me get connected hzmod with kit kat that person said that it was the best connection. it been like 2 years ago until i try NTRview with UWstreamer or Snickerstream and there was capture card available 2 years ago and now its pretty hard to get it and high price. i rather have it soldier it and plug it in

chainswordcs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I took it down because I'm no longer developing homebrew, and can't deal with bugfixes anymore. I don't have the time and energy to do it.

Didn't see this until now, sorry to hear about your health. I wish you luck in healing and in all your future endeavors, software related or not.

Sere

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know it is not being updated anymore, but does anyone know if it still works for the time being (not like there are going to be many 3DS updates) or if there is an install guide?

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
It should still work, but if you need bottom screen streaming, that has been removed almost five years ago.

If you find a package containing the .cia files, you must install HzMod.cia (the code itself), HzLoad.cia (Home Menu icon), and if you have an old3DS and play games which reboot into Mode 3 (like Smash and Mario Maker 3DS) then you must also install HzLoad_HIMEM.cia as well. You only need regular HzLoad on a new3DS.

The PC-side is a lot more difficult, as there have been numerous versions, so you'll have to try a few methods:
  • HorizonScreen-PC 192.168.1.64
    • instantly starts streaming (hangs and crashes if 3DS is not reacahble)
    • doesn't do anything until you press L (you know you have this version if pressing UP and DOWN causes the JPEG quality number to smear out into an unreadable mess)
  • HorizonScreen-PC
    • you have to enter the IP in the terminal and it autoconnects (you know it autoconnects because it freezes if 3DS is not available)
    • after entering the IP into the terminal, you must press L to connect
    • a window pops up but nothing happens, then you have to issue a connect("192.168.1.64") command in the terminal
    • you're asked to enter the IP, but pressing L does nothing, then you have to issue a connect() command in the terminal
  • SnickerStream
    • just use SnickerStream for user-friendly UI, but it doesn't support TARGA frames for games which use 16bit color mode (like Smash and Mario Kart 7)

Sere

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It should still work, but if you need bottom screen streaming, that has been removed almost five years ago.

If you find a package containing the .cia files, you must install HzMod.cia (the code itself), HzLoad.cia (Home Menu icon), and if you have an old3DS and play games which reboot into Mode 3 (like Smash and Mario Maker 3DS) then you must also install HzLoad_HIMEM.cia as well. You only need regular HzLoad on a new3DS.

The PC-side is a lot more difficult, as there have been numerous versions, so you'll have to try a few methods:
  • HorizonScreen-PC 192.168.1.64
    • instantly starts streaming (hangs and crashes if 3DS is not reacahble)
    • doesn't do anything until you press L (you know you have this version if pressing UP and DOWN causes the JPEG quality number to smear out into an unreadable mess)
  • HorizonScreen-PC
    • you have to enter the IP in the terminal and it autoconnects (you know it autoconnects because it freezes if 3DS is not available)
    • after entering the IP into the terminal, you must press L to connect
    • a window pops up but nothing happens, then you have to issue a connect("192.168.1.64") command in the terminal
    • you're asked to enter the IP, but pressing L does nothing, then you have to issue a connect() command in the terminal
  • SnickerStream
    • just use SnickerStream for user-friendly UI, but it doesn't support TARGA frames for games which use 16bit color mode (like Smash and Mario Kart 7)
Though I replied but apparently did not so sorry this is so late.
I think I found the right CIA files so I hope I installed it right?
Need to see what I can find PC-wise... so far have not had much luck.
I mainly plan to play Mii focused games so would any of these be best for that?

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Though I replied but apparently did not so sorry this is so late.
I think I found the right CIA files so I hope I installed it right?
Need to see what I can find PC-wise... so far have not had much luck.
I mainly plan to play Mii focused games so would any of these be best for that?

Watch out, the .cia and .exe files are "paired" due to revisional differences. They come in the same package, so the download you found is probably no good.

I don't know which Mii games, it depends on the technical details of the game.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
How about you undelete my post? It is quite important and it breaks 0 rules.
Which post? the one up in the thread?
It literally says I cannot delete this post, please ignore it.

We've removed it out of courtesy.

Sere

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Watch out, the .cia and .exe files are "paired" due to revisional differences. They come in the same package, so the download you found is probably no good.

I don't know which Mii games, it depends on the technical details of the game.
Oh... Guess I'll need to re-look then.

Just the Mii Plaza games.

Edit: Just looked and I did in fact download a pack so I just... suck at setting up the PC component again, but at least it's here.

Edit 2: I got it to connect this time, but it does not seem to stay connected. It disconnects within maybe 30 seconds of me switching to any game (or even just the Home Screen). Looks like the error is "10061", result too large.

Last edited by Sere,

gg_prete

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
so I'm writing here for some help because I have this problem with my old 2ds .
in the first place when i open the hz launcher both screen turn black and no matter which button i press the led is no responding neither the app but if i go home and try to open another app or generally i'm closing the hz launcher the led turn light blue or green and it connects the 2ds to the hzscreen and now u are thinking so what is ur problem, the problem is that after the 2ds finally closes the launcher to open another app (in literally 2-3 seconds) the led istantly goes black and disconnects from the app i can't resolve this problem, my pc recognise that there is the 2ds connected to the wifi but it doesn't connect i don't know what to do pls help.

Last edited by gg_prete,

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
so I'm writing here for some help because I have this problem with my old 2ds .
in the first place when i open the hz launcher both screen turn black and no matter which button i press the led is no responding neither the app but if i go home and try to open another app or generally i'm closing the hz launcher the led turn light blue or green and it connects the 2ds to the hzscreen and now u are thinking so what is ur problem, the problem is that after the 2ds finally closes the launcher to open another app (in literally 2-3 seconds) the led istantly goes black and disconnects from the app i can't resolve this problem, my pc recognise that there is the 2ds connected to the wifi but it doesn't connect i don't know what to do pls help.

Sounds like you're accidentally using HzLoad_HIMEM (darker logo) instead of regular HzLoad (normal logo).

What game are you trying to load? Only a few games need extended memory (like Smash 4 and Mario Maker), those need HzLoad_HIMEM, the rest needs regular HzLoad.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I already did show part of it, you ridiculed me instead
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Like I said, people with criminal records tend to play the victim an awful lot. Thats all the more im going to say
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    in the wanted list thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    because you are an awful liar and narcissistic hypocrite
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    LEOtck? Who's he? Never 'erd of the las. :)
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I only show the mirror to people and you all can't stand what you're seeing
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    bunch of bullies
    Narcissistic Personality Disorder 101
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I think that's what you have
    Thanks for providing further evidence of my claim in a single comment. lol.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    pff\
    You're a gaslighting narcissist. Everyone out to get you. You wont get professional help because you'll just chalk up their diagnosis as another conspiracy out to get you.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    leave me alone, I'm not going to engage with you anymore, bye
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    Motherfucker I was checked by a psychiatrist and there's nothing wrong with me
    okay. Bye. Thought you were leaving anyway. Why are you still around? You already said goodbye to everyone here.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so stop spurting your nonsense
    lol. liar.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    knock it off now, both of you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yea you're just a mean bully
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    he SHOULD
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and NOW
    liar, loudmouth, cussing and swearing, all angry
    ok. sorry. ill stop now. promise
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I can prove what I am saying
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    If you want me to scan that paper I will give it to you but I can't waste my precious time on arguing with a moron like this
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: If you want me to scan that paper I will give it to you but I can't waste my precious time on...