Hyperkin SupaBoy Portable SNES

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For $15 more you can get a PSPGo (Or just $5 more for a PSP 2000), which (Using CFW which works on ANY PSP now) supports SNES, GBA, and anything lower at full speed (Zarcon was flat out wrong), ontop of all PS1 and PSP games as Sony supports them, I.E, 1:1.

This thing is nothing more than a waste of money.

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Must be my choice of games...or I'm just really picky with speeds.
Or maybe the emulator version, I've been pretty sure to grab the most recent version of various builds though.
Terranigma runs like poop though.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Outside of the obvious ones like Star Fox, all the games I've played run fine. With Terr I can guess that the underworld effect when on the first map hurts, but a speedhack for the pallette should get the game running 60FPS like all the others.

A lot of the emulator branches stopped years ago. Try the two here.
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Emulation_on_PSP

SNES emulation on PSP is the best I've seen on handhelds.

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm pretty sure I tried the ones there first. The entire game is just slow.
I'll give it another go though, I'd love to revisit the game on a portable.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I'll toss a copy on my system and see what's up.

EDIT:
33w5b3m.png
z7nmu.png

It looks like there's some HDMA effects being run for the text box background, so when a text box is up then the framerate drops to varying extents depending on the rendering engine (but when there's not one the game runs fine).

As my video explained, using the rendering passes display can show you if the slowdown is from some fancy graphical effect the game is pulling. In this case (and as my video pointed out, in all the cases I've seen outside of special-chip games) it's a palette write issue. It's doing multiple palette writes per frame to make the gradient in text boxes, so setting the palette write setting to "simple" or "off" keeps the game from slowing down... though the gradient in the text box will either look more jagged or not be there depending on your setting, as you can see in the two screenshots.

Sappoide

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
For $15 more you can get a PSPGo (Or just $5 more for a PSP 2000), which (Using CFW which works on ANY PSP now) supports SNES, GBA, and anything lower at full speed (Zarcon was flat out wrong), ontop of all PS1 and PSP games as Sony supports them, I.E, 1:1.

It's not necessarily useless, think of how many people still wants to play with their old snes cartridges but can't because their snes is broken. And on top of all it doesn't require to play games on the tv screen!

Xuphor

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It's not necessarily useless, think of how many people still wants to play with their old snes cartridges but can't because their snes is broken. And on top of all it doesn't require to play games on the tv screen!
1 - Those old SNES cartridges are useless. If you love them so much (I have a few), save them to keep their "value", don't play them. ROMS/emulators on aforementioned PSP 2000/PSPgo get you the exact same game.
2 - .....I only mentioned the PSPGo and PSP-2000, yet you said as a counter "it doesn't require to play games on the tv screen!"......Seriously? Do you even know what the PSP is? :wtf:

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
2 - .....I only mentioned the PSPGo and PSP-2000, yet you said as a counter "it doesn't require to play games on the tv screen!"......Seriously? Do you even know what the PSP is? :wtf:
he means you can have a SNES-like experience without the need for the TV, he wasn't talking about the PSP then.

Xuphor

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
he means you can have a SNES-like experience without the need for the TV, he wasn't talking about the PSP then.

Ah, irrelevant for Sap to bring that up then.

But yea, Sap, I'm serious when I say it's pointless to play your cartridges. They are bulky, take a lot of space in your bag to carry around, and using them wears them out. They likely will eventually have some decent value on eBay, like when the Nintendo Kii-Wii, Sony FunStation, and Microsoft XCube is out.

Sappoide

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

1 - Those old SNES cartridges are useless. If you love them so much (I have a few), save them to keep their "value", don't play them. ROMS/emulators on aforementioned PSP 2000/PSPgo get you the exact same game.
Useless? I still play with them! :)
And I know what is a psp, in fact I got one and I use it to play psp games.
I know that emulators are good but if I can get the chance I still prefer to play old games on the original system they were meant to be played.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I want one of these, I have always wanted to play my SNES games (nor roms, the games themselves) on the go. Now I no longer need to choose between playing snes or going to the store, I can do both at the same time!...and break twice as many things! That would be the best investment I ever made. ^_^

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This two:
426867_342168085819825_100000799096702_892190_2013165548_n.jpg

424069_342168169153150_100000799096702_892192_1764382712_n.jpg

makes for a nice combination for a retro gaming!
Also, I wasn't aware SupaBoy is emulatin, I was under impression it's running games natively!

The SUpaboy is a neat idea and all, but the design kind of makes it lackluster.. I mean, why would you want to play multiplayer with someone on such a small screen?

What is that second one though.. some sort of SNES Flash cart?

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The SUpaboy is a neat idea and all, but the design kind of makes it lackluster.. I mean, why would you want to play multiplayer with someone on such a small screen?

What is that second one though.. some sort of SNES Flash cart?
I actually really like SupaBoy, I never intend to take it out and play, it's a joy to just lay down on bed and fall into retro gaming, also, if you want to play multiplayer, you connect it to a TV, and play!

Second one is a SNES flashcart, yes. Very neat little thing :D

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I got a Supaboy as a gift, and I am having issues with it. When I got it the controllers worked fine when plugged in, but now all of a sudden it won't recognize my controllers. Anybody have any solution? I just got it a few days ago.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, I heard herbert stopped appearing on the show