Hacking Hykem's 5.5 iosu Exploit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yet clearly there is such a large audience for it, it's obvious why as softmodders, we're annoyed with this.

Not saying I disagree with you. Just that Loadiine has no function other than piracy (at least in the eyes of nintendo) and that emulators are, by nature, piracy as well.

This isn't just some useless exploit. This can potentially allow for unsigned code to run, which means that homebrew can become a thing. It grants you the whole console, yes, therefore it doesn't do jack shit.

Just because you have access to the whole console doesn't mean that the sole purpose of it should only be piracy.

Except it is entirely possible to wrap an exploit in so much obfuscation that it is prohibitively difficult to even run homebrew.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So I'm interested. If we cant run backups or emulators because they are piracy what is everybody hoping to achieve with this exploit ?

texture/sound mods. cheats. homebrew applications that make use of features that seem to be largely ignored by nintendo and third party devs.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Come on guys. If there is kernel access, there will also be someone who will make loadiine and all your favourite piracy run on it. There's no way it's going to be impossible.

Reactions: kaotik2k

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm interested. If we cant run backups or emulators because they are piracy what is everybody hoping to achieve with this exploit ?
HOMEBREW, EMUNAND, NANDs back up ...

I meant with EMUNAND you don't have to worry about manually spoofing the Wii U while keeping up with up to date with latest firmware (Eshop access, game update, online gameplay...) AND you always have homebrew apps

Last edited by tivu100,
Reactions: kaotik2k

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, my words were poorly formulated there, I admit. But I'm not just one person who wants to play some backups, they're dozens of them. Besides, Homebrew already IS a thing. Still need something more than Pong to modify RAM though. :/

Actually this is a good point. Yls8's webkit exploit essentially gives the Wii U on 5.5.x the same level of access that a 3DS on 9.3+ had before memchunkhax2. The problem is the lack of homebrew developers showing interest in the Wii U with only userland access.

loco365

Trophies
XP
Except it is entirely possible to wrap an exploit in so much obfuscation that it is prohibitively difficult to even run homebrew.
Not really. As long as there's a channel that can hook into code and run it, similar to the Wii's Homebrew Channel, you should be fine. All that'd need to be made is a proper third-party devkit.

The point of the obfuscation here is similar to the Gateway 3DS - they don't want people easily peeking into the code and reverse-engineering it for their own needs and wants, or to make ripoffs/clones. If you want to know how it works, you're going to have to work hard to get it.

Garou

Trophies
XP
Country
Cemu does virtually the same thing as Loadiine; runs games. We do not see that as piracy?
I think people tends to think, anything that can be used to play backup games are piracy, but not emulator
I know it's silly, but then by your logic gateway 3ds, usb loader gx, vita cobra black fin and ps3 cobra ode do not count as piracy then

Reactions: lonemoonHD
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Come on guys. If there is kernel access, there will also be someone who will make loadiine and all your favourite piracy run on it. There's no way it's going to be impossible.
Except with Hykem butting in anti-piracy crap like it's Denuvo, it's going to be near impossible.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I think people tends to think, anything that can be used to play backup games are piracy, but not emulator
I know it's silly, but then by your logic gateway 3ds, usb loader gx, vita cobra black fin and ps3 cobra ode do not count as piracy then
Never understood why people did that besides "legal issues". Come on, morals? Why'd you hijack that console in the first place when you can't stand the aftermath of it, then?

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well all this chitchat makes it seem almost pointless to wait for any exploit, be better of just buying these noteworthy three or four exclusive titles for WiiU then

Adrian DX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times already, but reading through 30 pages doesn't sound very tempting.
I've recently set up TubeHax DNS on my Wii U to prevent updating from 5.5.0. And then about one week later 5.5.1 released.
Now I'm trying to play Splatoon, but Splatoon has since gotten an update as well which is needed for online play.
Is there any way I can update only Splatoon or will the Wii U download the latest FW version as soon as I use automatic DNS settings?
And also is there any known differences between 5.5.0 and 5.5.1 that will affect homebrew/Hyken possibilities?

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never understood why people did that besides "legal issues". Come on, morals? Why'd you hijack that console in the first place when you can't stand the aftermath of it, then?

I think a lot of devs hide behind "muh morals" to try and avoid falling into the same pit that geohot did. Their logic is something along the line of "if I can show I actively tried to prevent piracy, maybe I can avoid or win the lawsuit if nintendo/sony/microsoft sues me". Never mind that IF they try and sue, you will lose because you intentionally worked to reverse engineer and bypass legal security measures.

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times already, but reading through 30 pages doesn't sound very tempting.
I've recently set up TubeHax DNS on my Wii U to prevent updating from 5.5.0. And then about one week later 5.5.1 released.
Now I'm trying to play Splatoon, but Splatoon has since gotten an update as well which is needed for online play.
Is there any way I can update only Splatoon or will the Wii U download the latest FW version as soon as I use automatic DNS settings?
And also is there any known differences between 5.5.0 and 5.5.1 that will affect homebrew/Hyken possibilities?
In your case, no. Update and turn on Tubehax as soon as you're done.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not if you are already on 5.5.0.

I strongly suggest that if you want to use this or any other exploit, you forgo playing Splatoon for now.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But I want to play those titles anywhere. That's what Dumpiine is for. O Backups, Where Art Thou? :(

Backups are all well and good, but all I really want is to cheat my way through the various iterations of Hyrule in HD....

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really. As long as there's a channel that can hook into code and run it, similar to the Wii's Homebrew Channel, you should be fine. All that'd need to be made is a proper third-party devkit.

The point of the obfuscation here is similar to the Gateway 3DS - they don't want people easily peeking into the code and reverse-engineering it for their own needs and wants, or to make ripoffs/clones. If you want to know how it works, you're going to have to work hard to get it.
Then I don't see the point of releasing obfuscated IOSU exploit if @Hykem or anyone else don't release EMUNAND or something similar along with the exploit. Wii U homebrew development scene needs a kick start or a challenge to have more developers to develop more apps?

That's being this exploit is on the same level of Gateway 3DS stuff (less optimal, messy features compared to the alternatives homebrew apps, hiding brick code and stuff that can't be edited out...). If you meant obfuscation in a sense like Smealum's ninjhax, I can understand the point.

Last edited by tivu100,

davetheshrew

Trophies
XP
Country
people just dont get that loadiine is not just about piracy, the piracy bit just helps getting it ready for the end goal, @Onion_Knight end goal is for loadiine to be an .elf loader, people dont see this.

Onion_Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
people just dont get that loadiine is not just about piracy, the piracy bit just helps getting it ready for the end goal, @Onion_Knight end goal is for loadiine to be an .elf loader, people dont see this.

Really, Loadiine is just an app that an elf loader should load. But it already implements several of the requirements of a standalone elf loader. If launcher.c launched a smaller elf loader that presented a GUI and patched FS, Prepare Title, and Loader access, you could read in elfs off the sd card and map them into their own memory and launch them from the sd card...so in essence..you have the beginnings of an actual homebrew eco system that would enable other devs to start coding against.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good deal. I love Sun chips. I also love Rye chips, and had to order some from Amazon cause can't find in stores much anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking subways like that'll be $3
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is funny how they replaced the $5 foot long sub, with a 1" wide $5 foot long cookie or cinna stick, cheap asses
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They still have but it's like $10 cookies honestly not a bad deal for $5
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bidenomics
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/1Ic2tqw_AmM?si=JprHwElZWw_oO_ii