Japanese - 日本語 - Language Learning

How's your progress lately?

Weyu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thought I'd try to generate some activity here.
If you're learning Japanese, feel free to talk about what you've been doing lately.

TigerTiger

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was today years old when I learnt that Anki has a feature that lets you type in answers.

I don't like the UI, but Memrise f'd everything up so I'll be damned if I don't take the chance to switch :''')

terebee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
for me it's really bad, I'm still a newbie and I didn't have the time to practice for some months and I forgot some of the stuff, unfortunately, but I'm starting again anyway. there is an android app named kanji tree that I use Idk what happened to the free version that I'm using the only thing that I found right now is this pro version. there is a book that I get from someone I know named 学ぼう! にほんご 初級1学生用マニュアル (N5) and there are some good collections of words at the end of every lesson for N5 learners. one other thing that I do is trying to read Yotsubato tho I'm still a bit confused and unsure without a teacher if I am going in a right direction or not.

TigerTiger

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't know that either, neat.
What kind of deck are you using?
You can add it to any deck. I was just using one I found for Genki vocab which already had sound clips, since figuring out how to use an add on to add tts audio is too much for me haha.

for me it's really bad, I'm still a newbie and I didn't have the time to practice for some months and I forgot some of the stuff, unfortunately, but I'm starting again anyway. there is an android app named kanji tree that I use Idk what happened to the free version that I'm using the only thing that I found right now is this pro version. there is a book that I get from someone I know named 学ぼう! にほんご 初級1学生用マニュアル (N5) and there are some good collections of words at the end of every lesson for N5 learners. one other thing that I do is trying to read Yotsubato tho I'm still a bit confused and unsure without a teacher if I am going in a right direction or not.
There are a couple of places that have guides about what to do as a beginner, for example the Starter's Guide on r/LearnJapanese.

I think it also depends on what your goal is- are you only interested in reading, or would you like to speak/write too? Speaking is one of the hardest things to do as a self learner so in that case you might want to consider taking private lessons or joining up somewhere where you can find a language partner.

Ultimately it's the little daily wins and regular practise that's going to get you the results you want. Don't think you need to understand every word when reading something, if you can get the gist and pick up a bit of vocab as you go it's much better than getting frustrated while struggling with something that's too much too soon.

Reactions: Weyu

TigerTiger

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Someone posted in the Introductions and it reminded me this group exists lol.

How's it been going lately...? Well, better at least. I'm still not where I wanna be, but being back in class has helped make it all feel less meaningless.

I spent a lot of time looking for an app that would test me on Kanji readings. I really didn't wanna make a whole Anki deck for them and I couldn't find anything prebuilt.

The best app I found was Kanji Garden- you have to type in the answers which I like, but the free user options are so limited I couldn't keep with it.

Long story short, I learnt that Kanji Study (which I use for writing anyway), actually has other testing modes, including readings. It's multiple-choice so not as good, but still handy. You can also change the settings on the writing mode to repeat a kanji till you get it right, and to disable the stroke autocorrect so yeah. Explore your apps! Kanji Study doesn't do everything I'd kinda like it to, but it does do a lot so I think it's one of the ones that's actually worth paying for :)

Weyu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Neat. Are you using any memory techniques to remember kanji? Like Heisig or memory palace, etc.

TigerTiger

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I tried using Wanikani but I found learning all the memonics for the radicals quite tedious. I have enough knowledge to recognize/split things into radicals even if I don't know their names/meanings, so now I'm just using spaced repetition to work through a set kanji list, and only making special effort to make my own memonics if I seem to be struggling with certain ones.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thought I'd try to generate some activity here.
If you're learning Japanese, feel free to talk about what you've been doing lately.
Been playing a visual novel in Japanese. Have a hook connected to check individual word meanings.
Post automatically merged:

Neat. Are you using any memory techniques to remember kanji? Like Heisig or memory palace, etc.
Generally in my experience. The best way to remember things is to write them down a lot. Also coming up with descriptions and links to why a Kanji looks the way it does. Basically was "Remembering the Kanji" does.

TigerTiger

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Man, I don't check in on this forum enough :rofl2: Sorry for my delayed responses.

@Zyvyn What game are you playing? I normally avoid VNs that aren't fully voiced which makes it a lot harder to find ones for the consoles I have, but I finished Tantei Opera Milky Holmes for PSP recently and I thought it was fairly doable without having to know *every* word.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, I don't check in on this forum enough :rofl2: Sorry for my delayed responses.

@Zyvyn What game are you playing? I normally avoid VNs that aren't fully voiced which makes it a lot harder to find ones for the consoles I have, but I finished Tantei Opera Milky Holmes for PSP recently and I thought it was fairly doable without having to know *every* word.
Kanon 1999

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, there's an anime of that isn't there? How are you finding it?
I finished it recently. I really enjoyed it. 1 of the routes was rather generic and didnt really have much special to it, but the other 4 were very good.

rerjoi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Right now I got a 162 Anki streak, mining words which I don't know in 2 episodes from anime since middle may or so.
All in all very good.

Reactions: JuanMena

Latest photos

Site & Scene News

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Photos: