How's the Unofficial Wii U Pro Controller?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by WiiCube_2013, Dec 17, 2014.

1. WiiCube_2013
    OP

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    I'm thinking of buying an Unofficial Wii U Pro Controller for the time being until the Nintendo Wii U Pro Controller is available for a decent price and so I'd like to know how's the battery life and quality built in general of these Unofficial/Brandless Wii U Pro Controllers?

Images of the Unofficial Wii U Pro Controller below:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    The reason being, the Wii U GamePad is sorta shit for long gaming sessions and so I'd rather use a traditional controller instead.​

2. Lucifer666

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    The Fourth Dimension
    I guess it depends on the specific brand/model mate

you can't just ask for a rating for the broad category of "unlicensed pro controllers"

3. WiiCube_2013
    OP

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    The sellers are either from China, Hong Kong or Thailand they don't have an exact brand to be known as which is why there's no brand-title for it. :-/

I'm just looking for a rough idea of what it is like, that's all.

4. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-atorâ„¢

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    How cheap are you looking to get them for? I considered getting some knockoffs but decided to just get the Jap versions from Amazon for $46. The review on Amazon and general postings on the net are not good. The primary complaints seem to be they fall apart.

In my mind a controller is not something you want to cheap out on. I highly doubt they are as good as Nintendo branded and if you don't like them now you just raised the cost of getting the real thing.

Of coarse they could be handy for your guests so you can beat them. :)

5. shinkodachi

shinkodachi On permanent leave

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    I have a knockoff that looks just like the one in the OP, bought it from eBay for about $20. I originally got it to have replacement buttons for my official Wii U Pro Controller, but the build quality is just so different (not in a good way). I gave one a test drive and initially worked OK, though the battery ran out in 4 days of playing New Super Mario Bros. U for about 5-6 hours every day. That's totally not in the same ballpark as the official controller, which lasts me almost two weeks under equal conditions.

Further, the buttons are just not good. They feel "mushy" to me, though that's likely due to bad quality control and so can vary greatly from knockoff to knockoff. Unfortunately, this "spare" as I hoped it to be stopped working just after a few months of use. I've opened it up to see what's wrong and I can't find a way to fix it. It just won't connect any longer. Re-syncing won't help, neither does replacing the battery. The electronics inside look similar to the official parts, but the ICs and wiring is different.

TL;DR: Worst $20 I ever spent.

6. WiiCube_2013
    OP

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Thanks guys.

I decided and traded in some games of which (I bought then traded in) were enough to get the Wii U Pro Controller so this time I won't do the same mistake twice (sell it). :P It's such a fantastic controller despite its minor flaws.

7. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    It's a piece of crap because it doesn't work with Nintendont

8. WiiCube_2013
    OP

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    You've got the GameCube adapter + controller which I'd rather use in this case because Nintendont is for GameCube games after all.