Hacking How's Sandisk SDHC performance on DSTT?

Kellicros

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I found a good deal of Sandisk 4GB SDHC that I plan to purchase for my DSTT. As far as I know, people have been complaining Sandisk's performance in a few games compared to Kingston's in the non-SDHC era, then again I heard SDHC cards read much faster then non-SDHC so there shouldn't be a problem at all, but I am curious and wondering if I should save up a few bucks more for Kingston's.

I searched the forum, some people have confirmed 8GB Sandisk(Class 4) working great, but what about 4GB(Class 2)? How does it perform? Do their "Class" affect anything at all? Thanks in advance.

Nakura

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kellicros said:
I found a good deal of Sandisk 4GB SDHC that I plan to purchase for my DSTT. As far as I know, people have been complaining Sandisk's performance in a few games compared to Kingston's in the non-SDHC era, then again I heard SDHC cards read much faster then non-SDHC so there shouldn't be a problem at all, but I am curious and wondering if I should save up a few bucks more for Kingston's.

I searched the forum, some people have confirmed 8GB Sandisk(Class 4) working great, but what about 4GB(Class 2)? How does it perform? Do their "Class" affect anything at all? Thanks in advance.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820134562

Why don't you just get this? It's cheaper than Sandisk I'm pretty sure, and I've ordered from this site so I know it's reliable.

Kellicros

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Nakura said:
Kellicros said:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820134562

Why don't you just get this? It's cheaper than Sandisk I'm pretty sure, and I've ordered from this site so I know it's reliable.
I have to add 6bucks of shipping fee if I am to buy that, and I am able to get Sandisk at my local store a few bucks lower than that retail price too. So Sandisk would have been a better choice for me, if there isn't a problem with its performance.

sk3tch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Class determines the speed.

Read up:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card

I recommend just buying the A-DATA Class 6 4GB SDHC card. Great performance and price. Otherwise, buy a 2GB Kingston Japan card.

Those are really your only choices if you want to go problem free. If you want convenience, buy that Sandisk...but don't complain when you have issues with games.

roboz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The only games you will need a fast memory card for are Castlevania and Tony Hawk. So if you either dont play those games or already have a real copy theres no reason to get a super fast memory card. But you never know when new games that require fast speeds may come out so it is better to play it safe and get something like a Kingston, A-Data, or Transcend. I have 2 2GB Sandisks, one for my R4 and the other for my DSTT and neither of them can play those two games. My Transcend Class 6 4GB with my Cyclo happens to work perfectly with Castlevania though.

Kellicros

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So basically, the SDHC Sandisk is still having performance issue with those two known games like its non-sdhc counterparts? I always thought the SDHC compliant is faster, and the problems should be minor...

BTW, what about the DMA mode? Does it help does it help to get those games working properly?

apocalypticvisio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no one here has the sdhc sandisk....roboz had 2 2gb...sdhc is 4 or higher...class 6 is fastest....pqi, kingston, and a few others use the class 6 standard for all their sdhc needs i think, but i haven't looked into those yet as i am just using a 2gb ....

sk3tch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kellicros said:
So basically, the SDHC Sandisk is still having performance issue with those two known games like its non-sdhc counterparts? I always thought the SDHC compliant is faster, and the problems should be minor...

SDHC doesn't necessarily mean faster...SDHC only means larger than 2GB in size (Secure Digital High Capacity, i.e. SD 2.0 spec).

Sephi

fool
Trophies
Website
nov.us.to
XP
Country
United States
Kellicros said:

BTW, what about the DMA mode? Does it help does it help to get those games working properly?

the tony hawk game has a small lag issue on all MicroSD cards, but good cards have minimal problems. it doesn't matter if the card is SDHC or not.

Castlevania is a picky game, you need a good MicroSD card or it will freeze in the into, or at random times or when teleporting.

one of the best cards around is the A-Data 4GB MicroSDHC Class 6 card.
its very cheap and available from several places
get it from newegg here

arielp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
i'm using DSTT firmware on Supercard DSONE,

using 4GB Sandisk SDHC Class 2,

been good so far, ironically this card marked as slow card on original DSONE firmware, but flawless on DSTT firmware.

Malkesh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm having an 8 GB SanDisk as well with my DSTT.

No problems so far.

However Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin froze up on me for like 2 times till I beat it.
The other Castlevania never had a single freeze.

yaynds.gif

apocalypticvisio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sk3tch said:
Kellicros said:

SDHC doesn't necessarily mean faster...SDHC only means larger than 2GB in size (Secure Digital High Capacity, i.e. SD 2.0 spec).

This is true, but the class ratings on the chips helps in the speed category, i've not seen the nonhc cards system show so easily. Class 2 4 and 6 are the differences, class 2 at 2mbps and so on. Also that when it comes to read and write, you don't want more than the system can handle or too little. at least with comps, but the firmware and use of the cpu's on the ds confuse me just a little.

shatteredirony

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I use the san disk 4gb sdhc and as long as you format it the right way you shouldnt have a problem with it, took me a while to figure it all out but formatting it at Fat with either default or 64 cluster made the menus and games run alot smoother

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
Does anyone know a link to a video where I can compare the intros of 2 Castlevania games? When I watched the intro, it seemed fine. I have a 4GB Sandisk microSDHC Class 2. I put in 49 games + YSMenu + Lameboy with 10 GB games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, FarCry 5 is an awesome game with multiple endings!