How's Sandisk SDHC performance on DSTT?

Discussion in 'DSTT' started by Kellicros, Apr 22, 2008.

Apr 22, 2008
  1. Kellicros
    OP

Member Kellicros GBAtemp Fan

I found a good deal of Sandisk 4GB SDHC that I plan to purchase for my DSTT. As far as I know, people have been complaining Sandisk's performance in a few games compared to Kingston's in the non-SDHC era, then again I heard SDHC cards read much faster then non-SDHC so there shouldn't be a problem at all, but I am curious and wondering if I should save up a few bucks more for Kingston's.

I searched the forum, some people have confirmed 8GB Sandisk(Class 4) working great, but what about 4GB(Class 2)? How does it perform? Do their "Class" affect anything at all? Thanks in advance.

2. Athang

Newcomer Athang Member

Denmark
    Well i have a 1 GB sandisk for my DSTT and had no problems so far, besides i got an defect DSTT...

3. Nakura

Member Nakura GBAtemp Regular

United States
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820134562

Why don't you just get this? It's cheaper than Sandisk I'm pretty sure, and I've ordered from this site so I know it's reliable.

4. Kellicros
    OP

I have to add 6bucks of shipping fee if I am to buy that, and I am able to get Sandisk at my local store a few bucks lower than that retail price too. So Sandisk would have been a better choice for me, if there isn't a problem with its performance.

5. sk3tch

Member sk3tch GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The Class determines the speed.

Read up:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card

I recommend just buying the A-DATA Class 6 4GB SDHC card. Great performance and price. Otherwise, buy a 2GB Kingston Japan card.

Those are really your only choices if you want to go problem free. If you want convenience, buy that Sandisk...but don't complain when you have issues with games.

6. Ice Cold

Member Ice Cold GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Other than Kingston, Sandisk is as good as it gets. They're typically pretty good.

7. roboz

Member roboz GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The only games you will need a fast memory card for are Castlevania and Tony Hawk. So if you either dont play those games or already have a real copy theres no reason to get a super fast memory card. But you never know when new games that require fast speeds may come out so it is better to play it safe and get something like a Kingston, A-Data, or Transcend. I have 2 2GB Sandisks, one for my R4 and the other for my DSTT and neither of them can play those two games. My Transcend Class 6 4GB with my Cyclo happens to work perfectly with Castlevania though.

8. Kellicros
    OP

So basically, the SDHC Sandisk is still having performance issue with those two known games like its non-sdhc counterparts? I always thought the SDHC compliant is faster, and the problems should be minor...

BTW, what about the DMA mode? Does it help does it help to get those games working properly?

9. apocalypticvisio

Member apocalypticvisio GBAtemp Regular

United States
    no one here has the sdhc sandisk....roboz had 2 2gb...sdhc is 4 or higher...class 6 is fastest....pqi, kingston, and a few others use the class 6 standard for all their sdhc needs i think, but i haven't looked into those yet as i am just using a 2gb ....

10. sk3tch

Member sk3tch GBAtemp Fan

United States
    SDHC doesn't necessarily mean faster...SDHC only means larger than 2GB in size (Secure Digital High Capacity, i.e. SD 2.0 spec).

11. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
    the tony hawk game has a small lag issue on all MicroSD cards, but good cards have minimal problems. it doesn't matter if the card is SDHC or not.

Castlevania is a picky game, you need a good MicroSD card or it will freeze in the into, or at random times or when teleporting.

one of the best cards around is the A-Data 4GB MicroSDHC Class 6 card.
    its very cheap and available from several places
    get it from newegg here

12. Mrbob2

Newcomer Mrbob2 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I have an 8gb sandisk and never had any probs

13. arielp

Newcomer arielp Advanced Member

Indonesia
    i'm using DSTT firmware on Supercard DSONE,

using 4GB Sandisk SDHC Class 2,

been good so far, ironically this card marked as slow card on original DSONE firmware, but flawless on DSTT firmware.

14. Malkesh

Newcomer Malkesh Member

Germany
    I'm having an 8 GB SanDisk as well with my DSTT.

No problems so far.

However Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin froze up on me for like 2 times till I beat it.
    The other Castlevania never had a single freeze.

[​IMG]

15. apocalypticvisio

Member apocalypticvisio GBAtemp Regular

United States
    This is true, but the class ratings on the chips helps in the speed category, i've not seen the nonhc cards system show so easily. Class 2 4 and 6 are the differences, class 2 at 2mbps and so on. Also that when it comes to read and write, you don't want more than the system can handle or too little. at least with comps, but the firmware and use of the cpu's on the ds confuse me just a little.

16. shatteredirony

Newcomer shatteredirony Member

United Kingdom
    I use the san disk 4gb sdhc and as long as you format it the right way you shouldnt have a problem with it, took me a while to figure it all out but formatting it at Fat with either default or 64 cluster made the menus and games run alot smoother

17. R2DJ

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Does anyone know a link to a video where I can compare the intros of 2 Castlevania games? When I watched the intro, it seemed fine. I have a 4GB Sandisk microSDHC Class 2. I put in 49 games + YSMenu + Lameboy with 10 GB games.