how well do cheap third party gamecube controllers work on Wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by blueagent1999, Aug 26, 2018.

1. blueagent1999
    OP

blueagent1999 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 9, 2017
    Hong Kong
    anyone bought those cheap third party gamecube controllers on ebay?

how well do they work with Nintendont on the WII?

also does the Wii Classic Controller work with Nintendont?

thanks!

Last edited by blueagent1999, Oct 7, 2018
  2. NoSoul81

NoSoul81 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 30, 2016
    United States
    The Wii Classic Controller indeed works wiht Nintendont. I use it exclusively for Gamecube games even over the Wavebird.

blueagent1999 likes this.
  3. Hardy_Heron

Hardy_Heron Member

Newcomer
    Mar 6, 2017
    Chile
    Valparaíso
    I have tried generic joysticks and if you have the Nintendont configuration file updated you should not have problems. It can support up to Ps4 joysticks, I've tried them.
    When it comes to quality that depends. I prefer to buy new or used Hori. Generics can be 4game brands or others with more quality. According to what you publish, they work.

4. Ryccardo

Ryccardo außer Tiernahrung

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    A GC controller is a GC controller, if it works on a GC it works on a Wii

That said some ones have flimsy connectors that may not last too long, especially if your Wii is used vertically and the cable often used to its full length

5. Hardy_Heron

Hardy_Heron Member

Newcomer
    Mar 6, 2017
    Chile
    Valparaíso
    I use this and it works perfect ...

Warning: Spoilers inside!

6. blueagent1999
    OP

Mar 9, 2017
    Hong Kong
    why are second-hand genuine gamecube controllers so expensive nowadays? getting one in good condition is even more expensive than a brand new PS4 controller....the prices are absolutely ridiculous. have gamecube controllers become a collector's item or something?

i'm going to get a knock off controller, i'm not paying 30 us dollars for a used controller, there's just no way.

PS: i plugged in a PS2 sytled USB controller into the Wii and it worked, but these kinds of generic controller have very cheap plastic and flimsy button so the controls feels awful, the playstation button layout is also confusing.

Last edited by blueagent1999, Sep 7, 2018
  7. Ryccardo

Ryccardo außer Tiernahrung

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    What happens when you combine supply lacking self-control (scalpers) and demand lacking self-control ("professional" Melee players), combined with the freedom to advertise a product for any price - no matter how crazy - with the worst possible consequence being failing to find a buyer, and the legendary "guaranteed value of Nintendo products"?

Yes, it is ridiculous when a GC with all the basic accessories (power brick, composite cable, controller, maybe even a memory card) is 40 units of your favorite international currency; but the same is true for the Wii (50 for a complete console, 30/40 for a new wiimote), WiiU, and actually I think many consoles of most brands...

8. suspendedhatch

suspendedhatch Member

Newcomer
    Sep 5, 2018
    United States
    I got some generic Wii classic controllers off Amazon. I've only tried one but so far it variously causes stuttering, freezing, and weird sounds depending on what app I'm in. Gx emulators freeze up if it's plugged in, and unfreeze if I unplug it from the wiimote. If I wait until I'm in game it works, but it behaves as if the dpad is being held down. Stuttering happens on the main Wii menu. WiiFlow doesn't work at all. Nintendont seems okay.

9. blueagent1999
    OP

Mar 9, 2017
    Hong Kong
    you can actually navigate the wii menu with a generic Wii classic controller? that's pretty amazing i think.

10. suspendedhatch

suspendedhatch Member

Newcomer
    Sep 5, 2018
    United States
    Yes, using the joysticks.

11. Dodain47

Dodain47 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    My Gamestop Gamecube controller work perfectly with my Wii.

blueagent1999 and suspendedhatch like this.
  12. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Guru

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    NVM

13. suspendedhatch

suspendedhatch Member

Newcomer
    Sep 5, 2018
    United States
    I found a couple used official Wii classic controllers for $15 at GameStop and a local game reseller, and they work great. Returned the generic controllers to Amazon.