Country
United States
Last edited by chalupabatman,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found this tool here - https://gbatemp.net/threads/nsc_bui...lder-game-updates-dlc-in-a-single-xci.522486/

But the instructions do not make any sense to me. Can someone dumb this down so that I can use this tool to combine the updates & dlc into my XCI file?

When I open the solution in Visual Studio and run it nothing happens?

Also - I am on a MacBook - could that be part of the issue?
If you found the thread with the tool, why bother making a completely separate thread? At least if you posted there, OP might be able to help get you set up.

Eskorbuto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
hello i have success in making the fusion of the game.nsp plus update.nsp..and the result its a filename like this game+u.xci.... but i don't feel that the updated its integrated because switch asked me to update, so...does this app only allows to convert the game to xci, but not the update with it? or how can i do it properly?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello i have success in making the fusion of the game.nsp plus update.nsp..and the result its a filename like this game+u.xci.... but i don't feel that the updated its integrated because switch asked me to update, so...does this app only allows to convert the game to xci, but not the update with it? or how can i do it properly?
Since the update is integrated into the .XCI file and .XCI files are meant to be mounted, not installed, the update is only applied when the .XCI file is mounted. Therefore the update will never be installed into the console's internal memory unless you install it as a .NSP file. Also keep in mind that there is a difference between asking for a software update and a system update. If its asking for a software update, you do not have the latest update bundled with your .XCI file. If its asking for a system update, update your system.

Eskorbuto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
thanks for the info. i think is better to mount game.xci and install updates via nsp...because i don't feel it worked for me in the way i wanted...it didnt asked me for system update...but game update...but it was already included in my xci made by 2 nsps

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

i have just make an game.xci and ill do a game+update.xci and try one last time to see what happens.

JRoad

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
In isntallations it gets installed if you use the rommenu (the gallery installer from TX). It doesn't get installed with tinfoil since blawar felt that since legit xcis have a lot of the times older updates he should blacklist the updates inside them from being installed, which is in some way understandable.

About the update not being applied when the xci is unmounted, some retain the update version in the placeholder while some don't retain them. Still that check is done at the game's launch so the update would be mounted so either is a software update, he's right and an issue happened, he's using an old update or if he added dlcs he's using a lower dlc version than what he should be using.
If the xci is mounting it should be fine, though it would be better to verify it with the functions NSCB have for that matter (verify, game info, ...). Normally when i see an user with that issue it's related to him using older update or dlc versions.
I also think it would make more sense to use the official post.

Last edited by JRoad,

tokenwhiteguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In isntallations it gets installed if you use the rommenu (the gallery installer from TX). It doesn't get installed with tinfoil since blawar felt that since legit xcis have a lot of the times older updates he should blacklist the updates inside them from being installed, which is in some way understandable.

About the update not being applied when the xci is unmounted, some retain the update version in the placeholder while some don't retain them. Still that check is done at the game's launch so the update would be mounted so either is a software update, he's right and an issue happened, he's using an old update or if he added dlcs he's using a lower dlc version than what he should be using.
If the xci is mounting it should be fine, though it would be better to verify it with the functions NSCB have for that matter (verify, game info, ...). Normally when i see an user with that issue it's related to him using older update or dlc versions.
I also think it would make more sense to use the official post.
I am still too new on here to make my own thread or to pm you, but I figured how to get NSC_Builder working on a mac running parallels. It doesn't work natively like a regular pc, and I didn't know if you had anyone say anything yet. I figured you might like to know if you hadn't since I saw one of your build posts on github stating you hadn't out an effort into mac.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I am still too new on here to make my own thread or to pm you, but I figured how to get NSC_Builder working on a mac running parallels. It doesn't work natively like a regular pc, and I didn't know if you had anyone say anything yet. I figured you might like to know if you hadn't since I saw one of your build posts on github stating you hadn't out an effort into mac.
put* not out

tokenwhiteguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found this tool here -

But the instructions do not make any sense to me. Can someone dumb this down so that I can use this tool to combine the updates & dlc into my XCI file?

When I open the solution in Visual Studio and run it nothing happens?

Also - I am on a MacBook - could that be part of the issue?

If you can run Parallels (I'm assuming other virtual machines will work similarly) on your mac. Then you can open up parallels and run the app. However, it will tell you that the keys.txt is missing no matter which keys you have in it, and then will tell you that list.txt and mlist.txt are both missing etc. If you move it to local disk C:/ it will run properly.
That being said:
1. Using Lockpick (Look up on Google if you don't have it) you can dump keys using Lockpick on your CFW on your switch. This file is going to save in the Switch folder on your SD Card as Prod.Keys
2. On your mac, Make a folder called (whatever you want to call it, it's to put everything. I will use the name MADEFOLDER for this example)
3. Copy Prod.Keys to MADEFOLDER
4. Move/Copy Base Game, Updates, and DLC into MADEFOLDER
5. Download NSC_Builder, extract, and place it in MADEFOLDER but make sure it's its own folder EX: Macintosh HD⁩ ▸ ⁨Users⁩ ▸ ⁨Yourusername⁩ ▸ ⁨Desktop⁩ ▸ MADEFOLDER ▸ ⁨NSCB folder
6. In NSCB folder open ztools
7. Copy prod.keys into to ztools folder, and rename it to keys.txt (it will ask about changing file format. Hit yes.)
8. Open your windows virtual machine
9. Open the File Explorer
10. Move MADEFOLDER to C:\
11. Open NSCB folder
12. Run NSCB
13. Press 2 for Multi-Pack mode
14. Go through steps
22. Once finished, open NSCB_output
23. Move your file back to your Virtual Machine's Desktop
24. On mac open finder and open desktop to find file
25. Move file to root (This means the first layer of your storage) of your SD Card
26. move the SD Card back to switch
27. Run the XCI from the CFW of your switch
28. Praise Cthulu lol

I hope this helps!!

t1op

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need some help.
I want to convert most of my games from nsp to xci. I also want a custom xci that includes the nsp update so I don't have to install the update.
I tried to process Ape Out. It wouldn't repack as an xci at all.
I tried Atomik. It changed the base game to xci but left the update as a separate nsp.

Can anyone give me step by step directions?

UPDATE:
Ok, I figured several things out with some trial and error.
This is my simplified explanation (nothing new, just perhaps simpler delivery).

First of all, you need keys.txt to get this working. Run the lockpick payload and it will generate all of them for you as prod.keys. Rename that to keys.txt and put it in the ztools directory of NSC Builder.
Note, you want to get these from the latest firmware possible or you will have trouble converting newer files.

If you simply want to convert files between nsp/xci, select "1" to process each file individually.
If you want to combine games with their updates and dlc (or combine games?) select "2" to multi-pack. If you are doing a mix, still select "2".
If you want to remove the linked account requirement from a game select 6 then 5.
If you want to compress/decompress your nsz (install currently supported by tinfoil, not by goldleaf) or xcz (not playable on sxos, for storage only) select 8.
I haven't used the other options.

Assuming you picked 1 or 2, you will then be asked to drop a file or folder onto the GUI or press 2 or 3 to select them from an explorer window.
Then you have the opportunity to decide to process the file or folder you initially selected or add more.

You are then asked if you want to patch the key generation/required firmware.
If you are on the latest firmware you probably don't need to worry about this. If you maintain a lower firmware, select accordingly.

Finally, if you are multi-packing, you are asked to decide if you are going merge all the files into one (like 1-8 games) or to separate each merge based on the game ID (like combining games with updates and DLC).

If you get errors, first make sure you have keys dumped from the latest firmware.
Next make sure you have good dumps. For example, if you have SXOS and dumped a game with hbg shop and it told you it couldn't read the ticket and is just downloading ncas, your dump is incomplete and --as far as I know-- worthless. So you need another dump. Make your own with another app or download someone else's are your options.
To make your own, I have found that Goldleaf version .8 provides an alternative for dumping these games (plus unlike hbg shop, goldleaf's dumping feature isn't limited to SXOS). There may be others...
That's all I've figured out up to this point...

------
Now if you have already used this tool, my dumbed down instructions probably seem redundant to the selections in the interface. I get it. Now that I know what they mean they seem unneeded to me too. However, I was VERY confused when I tried to get started and couldn't find any dumbed down explanation on what each option meant. I share this with the hope that someone else who is equally confused finds this thread and that my attempt to dumb down things makes the interface easier to understand for the first time through :)

Last edited by t1op,

JRoad

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
If you're using the window selector to add the files it's broken on 0.99 and 1.00x versions. It's fixed on the master but not released yet.
It isn't adding files to the text list so the system won't find the list.
You need to drag the files in the window, use the new folder Walker or the new local library system.
I'll release a new version with that fix at some point during the next day I don't have time for it this weekend.
Anyway I'd welcome if people used the official thread for doubts.
Even the OP is linking the official thread.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i seem to have run into a problem with this tool
i used it many times with no issue now today i went to repack Ary and the secret of seasons .nsp and the 1.0 update .nsp into a single .xci and i got a file in the output directory called unknown.xci and it was only a few kb or something like that
so then i went to process single file and tried to convert the game .nsp to a single .xci and still it's not working
could this be because it is a new game that requires a higher FW than the keys file i am using ?
i think my keys file is from 9.x.x
here is the error message i got when i tried to process the single .nsp to .xci

IndexError: list index out of range
[25552] Failed to execute script squirrel
DONE

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i seem to have run into a problem with this tool
i used it many times with no issue now today i went to repack Ary and the secret of seasons .nsp and the 1.0 update .nsp into a single .xci and i got a file in the output directory called unknown.xci and it was only a few kb or something like that
so then i went to process single file and tried to convert the game .nsp to a single .xci and still it's not working
could this be because it is a new game that requires a higher FW than the keys file i am using ?
i think my keys file is from 9.x.x
here is the error message i got when i tried to process the single .nsp to .xci

IndexError: list index out of range
[25552] Failed to execute script squirrel
DONE
It sounds like you know what the issue is. In that case, obtain a key set from firmware 10.X

Reactions: weatMod

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
afaik, 0a is the latest key. I've had no issues even running the most recent games through software to alter or check.

EliasReimberg

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi.
"
I'm using version 101b, but this issue happens with other versions too. Regardless if I choose "Input 1 to process files" or "Input 2 to enter into multi-pack mode", NSC Builder enter in a loop like this without letting me choose any file:

"WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO?
"DRAG ANOTHER FILE OR FOLDER AND PRESS ENTER TO ADD ITEMS TO THE LIST"

Input "1" to start processing
Input "2" to add another folder to list via selector
Input "3" to add another file to list via selector
Input "4" to add files to list via local libraries
Input "5" to add files to list via folder-walker
Input "e" to exit
Input "i" to see list of files to process
Input "r" to remove some files (counting from bottom)
Input "z" to remove the whole list
Or Input "0" to return to the MODE SELECTION MENU

WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO?

Input "e" to exit
*************************************************"

This message repeat forever until crash. Can someone help me, please?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi.
"
I'm using version 101b, but this issue happens with other versions too. Regardless if I choose "Input 1 to process files" or "Input 2 to enter into multi-pack mode", NSC Builder enter in a loop like this without letting me choose any file:

"WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO?

Input "e" to exit

WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO?

Input "e" to exit
*************************************************"

This message repeat forever until crash. Can someone help me, please?
Do you have the Switch keys?

ReggieSunderland

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm assuming this is due to running it on Windows 11 but I can't get it to give me GAME-INFO, it just asks me if I want to print it to a txt or not, both options do nothing, any ideas?

____ _____ ____ / /_ __ __(_) /___/ /__ _____
/ __ \/ ___/ ___/ / __ \/ / / / / / __ / _ \/ ___/
/ / / (__ ) /__ / /_/ / /_/ / / / /_/ / __/ /
/_/ /_/____/\___/____/_.___/\__,_/_/_/\__,_/\___/_/
/_____/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NINTENDO SWITCH CLEANER AND BUILDER
(THE XCI MULTI CONTENT BUILDER AND MORE)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
============================= BY JULESONTHEROAD =============================
" POWERED BY SQUIRREL "
" BASED ON THE WORK OF BLAWAR AND LUCA FRAGA "
VERSION 1.01
Program's github: https://github.com/julesontheroad/NSC_BUILDER
Blawar's github: https://github.com/blawar
Luca Fraga's github: https://github.com/LucaFraga
SHOW INFORMATION AND DATA ABOUT THE REQUIRED FIRMWARE

Do you want to print the information to a text file
Input "1" to print to text file
Input "2" to NOT print to text file

Input your answer:

EDIT: Nevermind, it's time to upgrade from *cough* FW to Atmosphere for me.

Last edited by ReggieSunderland,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over