How to Undub a game?

ShamanKai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I would like an indivisible undub to have Japanese voices but I don't know how to do it.
I dumped the game with Yuzu but I have no idea which file corresponds to the voice. Please help me

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For 99% of undubs on anything with a file system then yeah get source region you want voices from, overwrite things in destination region (most of the time this is English to Japanese or anything else to English). Other times voices are lost at code level which means either getting them back, or perhaps more commonly then people backport the script to whatever they want (again usually Japanese base) but that might well be a full bore ROM hacking effort.
Do the names of the files/directories/extensions not give you any idea? This can include elimination (chances are a folder called gfx is graphics sort of thing). You might also try comparing regions -- translation of games usually only does text, font and graphics with everything else staying largely the same so what differences (and they will likely be notable differences rather than a few bytes here and there) will include the language aspects.

ShamanKai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
which game? almost all the engines are different.
the game is indivisible

For 99% of undubs on anything with a file system then yeah get source region you want voices from, overwrite things in destination region (most of the time this is English to Japanese or anything else to English). Other times voices are lost at code level which means either getting them back, or perhaps more commonly then people backport the script to whatever they want (again usually Japanese base) but that might well be a full bore ROM hacking effort.
Do the names of the files/directories/extensions not give you any idea? This can include elimination (chances are a folder called gfx is graphics sort of thing). You might also try comparing regions -- translation of games usually only does text, font and graphics with everything else staying largely the same so what differences (and they will likely be notable differences rather than a few bytes here and there) will include the language aspects.
The thing is that there is no version of the game, there is only one but it is impossible to put the jap voices while I saw Japanese playing with it.
And I didn't find a gfx file

Attachments

• Capture d’écran (968).png
    Capture d’écran (968).png
    62.3 KB · Views: 53

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
gfx was just a hypothetical example. That said cutscene_vo might have something (vo is often short for voice over and often kept separate to avoid having to render multiple things) and is nothing interesting in the music folder?

If there is only one region then yeah that gets harder. Most would either overwrite one region with another's or do something fun with pointers (chances in in whatever big music file or file list in general will be pointers to the given files, change the destination location and the game will load things instead, which will hopefully be in the same format).

ShamanKai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I can see that.
Otherwise I found a document that groups several localization that groups the file with the name of the game cast but even delete the game still launches the ENG voices

Attachments

• Capture d’écran (970).png
    Capture d’écran (970).png
    13 KB · Views: 51
  • Capture d’écran (971).png
    Capture d’écran (971).png
    19.8 KB · Views: 56

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
gfx was just a hypothetical example. That said cutscene_vo might have something (vo is often short for voice over and often kept separate to avoid having to render multiple things) and is nothing interesting in the music folder?

If there is only one region then yeah that gets harder. Most would either overwrite one region with another's or do something fun with pointers (chances in in whatever big music file or file list in general will be pointers to the given files, change the destination location and the game will load things instead, which will hopefully be in the same format).
In french, VO means Version Original, meaning the undubbed version
For example, VOSTFR means Version Originale Sous Titré FRancais (or original version subbed in french)
I don't know if that can help

ShamanKai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I am French but all the file is totally in English. The original voices of the game are ENG I think because occidental game but there are JAP voices too

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In french, VO means Version Original, meaning the undubbed version
For example, VOSTFR means Version Originale Sous Titré FRancais (or original version subbed in french)
I don't know if that can help
Other than "foits" most of that appeared to be in English naming conventions though.
I can see that.
Otherwise I found a document that groups several localization that groups the file with the name of the game cast but even delete the game still launches the ENG voices
The UI (usually short for user interface) probably does not have much in the way of voice work -- that is likely to be menus, or if what you say is the case then credits for those that translated/dubbed/whatever, and any voice/audio stuff bundled with other audio stuff if 99% of games I have ever seen are anything to go by.
Wonder what sc and tc are (at a guess simplified Chinese and traditional Chinese) as they are not commonly seen in lists of translation terms.

ShamanKai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yep the game takes care of translating them too.
Honestly I can't see anything, besides as I'm on Yuzu how can I see the changes? Are they done directly?
Maybe after the dump I have to do a manipulation?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you extract the files then many hex editors have a compare function (tiny hexer is probably where we would go for free options), or even something as simple as a CRC/file hasher will tell you if files have been changed (though not what or how much).

ShamanKai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If you extract the files then many hex editors have a compare function (tiny hexer is probably where we would go for free options), or even something as simple as a CRC/file hasher will tell you if files have been changed (though not what or how much).
I meant to say, see the changes in the game. For example for the undub that we put in the console hack, do I just put the extracted game in rom fs so that the modification is activated or do I have to compress these modifications? If yes how to do it?

Because I have to delete some folders, the game does not change and still works

Last edited by ShamanKai,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Generally if a file within a game's filesystem is compressed to begin with in a hack then it wants to be compressed at the end. If you are swapping files around though then that should not matter. Some games might autodetect things, and others you can change whether it thinks it is compressed, but generally make as few changes as you can.
As far as ROMfs then I believe here are some means to transparently replace files within a ROM on some of these.

Deleting files and it still works? Interesting. Not all games will, and it might crash if you force another region.

ShamanKai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't understand, does it mean that touching the fs rom folder directly modifies the emulator game or not?
And when I was talking about compressing, I meant to put the files I extracted from the nsp in a new nsp.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I like it when usps is like delivery expexted Today jk we meant tomorrow