How to turn off hardware acceleration ?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Vigilante, Dec 23, 2010.

Dec 23, 2010
  1. Vigilante
    OP

Member Vigilante TempLurker

Philippines
    Well I found out that lowering the hardware acceleration some how makes games run faster.
    But on my computer I cant seem to lower it because It says that my current display driver does not allow changes to be made to hardware acceleration settings.
    Is there still a way for me to lower the hardware acceleration or not.

PS:my graphics card is Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Where did you find that info on lowering it? That should only happen if there's some bug, and a driver update is much better than doing that.

That said, the graphics system in Vista/7 changed anyways.

3. Vigilante
    OP

Philippines
    Well when I was playing machinaruim it told me to lower the hardware acceleration for maximum speed.
    Well I am really much asking this because super meat boy is running slow and maybe by doing this I can make it run faster

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    That's odd, take a screenshot of that message.

5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Not sure about later versions of windows but start -> run -> dxdiag has simple disable options.

http://www.deskshare.com/resources/article...celeration.aspx is a bit less crude. Bonus info- if you are screen sharing/trying to use a projector and want to share a video that makes a quick workaround to dodge overlay issues not to mention a simple workaround for some DRM stuff. I would not use it on a permanent basis but as a "heat of the moment" type fix it has saved my lazy self a few times.

What I instead suggest you look into is setting video options- by disabling the hardware you are essentially doing a crude version of what follows. In these options you can say change anti aliasing to none or 2x rather than letting the game (which often only have limited or only as command line switches/hacks/ini tweaks options) and other fun options as low as they go (or definitely off "let application decide"). I am not sure about the current state of affairs for intel kit but they are usually in the extra resolution/background/screensaver type panel or available from the thing driver installers stick in the system tray.

6. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    For your SMB slowness, try this:

Go to Steam, right click SMB, then go to properties, then find the Set Launch Options button. In it enter "-lowdetail" without the quotes. This made it playable on my netbook (1.6GHz Atom, 1GB RAM, GMA 950)

[​IMG]

7. Vigilante
    OP

Philippines
    I will try