ROM Hack How to Translate

opearn

Well-Known Member
Newcomer
Joined
May 27, 2008
Messages
50
Trophies
0
XP
79
Country
To translate you'll need:
Dslazy. (for rom unpack)
Tiled 2002 (for Sprites/graphics)
crystaltile (for hex editing.)

and other tools depending if the game has files in archives...

best of luck

-opearn
 

psycoblaster

Divine
Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2008
Messages
2,131
Trophies
0
Age
32
Location
Seoul.. (in Korea)
Website
Visit site
XP
211
Country
opearn said:
To translate you'll need:
Dslazy. (for rom unpack)
not really. The main thing you need is ndstool, which is also what DSlazy and the other tools use. I also prefer DSbuff, as it has more functions. However, Crystaltile2 can extract the files inside of a rom.

Tiled 2002 (for Sprites/graphics)
Again, not really. There is a tool called Tile Molester, which also works great, but Crystaltile2 works the best overall. And you'll also need a graphic editing software, and I suggest you use photoshop.
Crystaltile2 is the best for viewing graphics, as graphics of the DS are not always 8x8/16x16. You can input custom sizes in Crystaltile2, with many other options, as you can apply maps, rotations, inverses, bite jumps, etc
However, you can't seriously be doing the graphic related jobs in these pixel by pixel editors- you'll need to export the image and use an actual editor such as gimp or photoshop to edit, and import it back, which also CT2 supports.


crystaltile2 (for hex editing.)


and other tools depending if the game has files in archives...

best of luck

-opearn
Crystaltile2 is one of the best tool made for many nintendo platforms, also supporting many common DS files, from fonts, graphics, palettes, maps, archives, compressions, and more.

Also, along with Crystaltile2, Atlas and Crystalscript works very well, too.
Atlas is a program that can be very confusing at first, but you'll find it to be very useful, because it "writes" the pointers for you. Crystalscript is my favorite text dumping tool.
 

KingAsix

Asentrix Studios
OP
Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2008
Messages
1,683
Trophies
1
Location
ICS
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
2,125
Country
United States
I've heard of a few of those tools but not Crystaltile2. I think'll I'll try that 1st and see how it goes. I got photoshop for my graphic editing software so no worries there. I guess I should ask this now but how would I create a patch for the game.
 

Noitora

::
Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2007
Messages
3,760
Trophies
1
Age
31
Location
Athens
Website
www.noitora.eu.pn
XP
268
Country
Greece
JinTrigger said:
I've heard of a few of those tools but not Crystaltile2. I think'll I'll try that 1st and see how it goes. I got photoshop for my graphic editing software so no worries there. I guess I should ask this now but how would I create a patch for the game.
Google for xdelta or bsdiff.
 

psycoblaster

Divine
Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2008
Messages
2,131
Trophies
0
Age
32
Location
Seoul.. (in Korea)
Website
Visit site
XP
211
Country
Noitora said:
JinTrigger said:
I've heard of a few of those tools but not Crystaltile2. I think'll I'll try that 1st and see how it goes. I got photoshop for my graphic editing software so no worries there. I guess I should ask this now but how would I create a patch for the game.
Google for xdelta or bsdiff.
NINJA 2.0
IPS (International Patching System)
PPF (PlayStation Patch Format, but because of the big patch file size...)
FFP/PAT (FireFlower Patch)
PAT (Microsoft Binary File Compare output)
GDIFF (Generic Diff Format)

All that is supported by ninja,... and I heard it can also be used as a gui version of xdelta if you drop xdelta.exe in the ninja folder.
However, the site is down right now :|
nvm found a romhacking.net mirror
http://www.romhacking.net/utils/ninja-2.0-...eta20060726.zip
 

psycoblaster

Divine
Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2008
Messages
2,131
Trophies
0
Age
32
Location
Seoul.. (in Korea)
Website
Visit site
XP
211
Country
JinTrigger said:
is there a tutorial for crystaltile2 cause I'm lost

EDIT-Not becuz it Chinese. I go the english trans
There is no "tutorial" for it.
You can easily figure it out if you know what you are doing.
If you don't, that means you don't know the basics.
Read the documents in www.romhacking.net before you do anything.
 

Noitora

::
Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2007
Messages
3,760
Trophies
1
Age
31
Location
Athens
Website
www.noitora.eu.pn
XP
268
Country
Greece
psycoblaster said:
JinTrigger said:
is there a tutorial for crystaltile2 cause I'm lost

EDIT-Not becuz it Chinese. I go the english trans
There is no "tutorial" for it.
You can easily figure it out if you know what you are doing.
If you don't, that means you don't know the basics.
Read the documents in www.romhacking.net before you do anything.
I didn't know shit when I started messing with crystaltile but it'll be no good if you lack common sense, so I suggest you to go read a few documents at romhacking.net first
tongue.gif
 

psycoblaster

Divine
Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2008
Messages
2,131
Trophies
0
Age
32
Location
Seoul.. (in Korea)
Website
Visit site
XP
211
Country
Noitora said:
psycoblaster said:
JinTrigger said:
is there a tutorial for crystaltile2 cause I'm lost

EDIT-Not becuz it Chinese. I go the english trans
There is no "tutorial" for it.
You can easily figure it out if you know what you are doing.
If you don't, that means you don't know the basics.
Read the documents in www.romhacking.net before you do anything.
I didn't know shit when I started messing with crystaltile but it'll be no good if you lack common sense, so I suggest you to go read a few documents at romhacking.net first
tongue.gif
Well for you, your intelligence lacks compared to mine, so it was normal... jk XD
 

Noitora

::
Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2007
Messages
3,760
Trophies
1
Age
31
Location
Athens
Website
www.noitora.eu.pn
XP
268
Country
Greece
psycoblaster said:
Noitora said:
psycoblaster said:
JinTrigger said:
is there a tutorial for crystaltile2 cause I'm lost

EDIT-Not becuz it Chinese. I go the english trans
There is no "tutorial" for it.
You can easily figure it out if you know what you are doing.
If you don't, that means you don't know the basics.
Read the documents in www.romhacking.net before you do anything.
I didn't know shit when I started messing with crystaltile but it'll be no good if you lack common sense, so I suggest you to go read a few documents at romhacking.net first
tongue.gif
Well for you, your intelligence lacks compared to mine, so it was normal... jk XD
I never said I'm intelligent!
xD
 

You may also like...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3N1 @ K3N1: I keep forgetting that's a thing