Hacking How To: Successfully Remove PreLoader on 4.1

Logan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This 'How To' will show you how to successfully remove PreLoader completely from your Wii. I have tried and tested this on my own PAL 4.1E system and it worked absolutely fine.

I won't be going into how to install WAD's or apps and where to place them on SD card etc. A trained chimp can do those things with ease
tongue.gif

I won't be held responsible if you fuck your Wii. Take precautions i.e. make sure BootMii is in BOOT2 and you have a NAND backup.

PreRequisites
- Homebrew Channel Installed
- BootMii Installed to BOOT2 (throughout the whole process, diable after if you really want to)

Tools
- NUSD
- NANDClean
- DOP-IOS

Instructions
- Dump your NAND to the SD card using BootMii. If you've met the prerequisites then you should know how to do this.
- Shutdown. Hold reset and power on the Wii. This loads PreLoader (of course)
- Disable everything, hacks and settings in PreLoader.
- Shutdown. Goto your PC. Launch NUSD. Click 'GENERATE' to make your certs. In the title box put "0000000100000002" (without the quotation marks). In the version box, put one of the following:
* if 4.1E (PAL) then 450
* if 4.1U (USA) then 449
* if 4.1J (JAP) then 448
- Tick the 'Pack -> WAD' box
- Click 'Start NUS Download!'
- Once its done doing its thing, put the WAD on the SD card
- Boot up the Wii
- Launch the HBC and WAD Manager 1.5 and install the WAD
- Return to the HBC and launch DOP-IOS v7
- Install IOS60 and apply the ES patch stuff
- Retun to the HBC and launch NANDClean
- Accept all options. It will tell you it doesn't find some stuff but eventually it will find the PreLoader shit in NAND and uninstall it. The last option you get a warning. But you're safe to remove as long as you did the install WAD step above.
- Shutdown or Restart the Wii. Tada! No more PreLoader.
- Optionally/Reccommended dump your NAND again.

Obviously this guide will work for Wii system menu's

Logan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Alexrose said:
Umm..

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=163350

Follow guide here to download your system menu of choice (in part 2).

Install system menu wad.

Preloader is completely uninstalled.

>_>

Pretty sure just installing the system menu, does not completely remove PreLoader's 'trail' from NAND.

One way of checking, run NANDClean. If it finds PreLoader shit, I'm right
wink.gif

HiBit

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Logan said:
If it finds PreLoader shit, I'm right
wink.gif
Yes, thats right.

Overwrite the sysmenu and the IOS for the sysmenu leave the dol from preloader, the hacks and the settings on the Wii.

Logan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
HiBit said:
Logan said:
If it finds PreLoader shit, I'm right
wink.gif
Yes, thats right.

Overwrite the sysmenu and the IOS for the sysmenu leave the dol from preloader, the hacks and the settings on the Wii.

Thought so. That's why you can potentially brick if you reinstall sysmenu, and NOT reinstall PreLoader afterwards.

mousex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Logan said:
Now, I removed PreLoader so I could mess about with Wanikoko's new theme shit. So I used StartPatch 4.1 as a replacement. I didn't like Banana Patcher as this is just in memory for that 'session', seems pointless and irritating to have to run it each boot IMHO. But there you.

Enjoy!
Menupatcher also loads custom SM if Preloader is installed.
But I have a question as I also want to get rid of Preloader, is there another way for the "Disable Standby Setting" patch then Preloader (as it is not a patch/hack but a Preloader setting).

macmel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Does PreLoader do more harm than good. As from time to time I read from threads people asking if they have preloader installed (especially if the thread is about a bricked wii). And now I see people removing PreLoader.

I asked this because I have 2 Wii's both have PreLoader on it. One have BootMii installed as boot2 and the others as an IOS.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no harm in having preloader. Some hacks can interfere with usb loaders but other than that it's my first line of defense from a brick (second line being bootmii)

piratesmack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Preloader is pretty good, it'll protect you from banner bricks, bad theme installs, and maybe some other stuff.
But if your System Menu or the IOS it uses get uninstalled, you'll brick.

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
With the ios one you DEFINITELY want preloader. With the boot2 one it's not important. Just matters if you want system menu hacks.

Logan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
TBH PreLoader is fine. But I wanted to try Waninkoko's theme thing. I was told it doesn't work with PreLoader. Hence uninstalling PreLoader. Plus whilst I can see the humour, I'd like to opt out of the April fool shit.

I just use StartPatch 4.1 now instead as it patches the system menu and doesn't move it around and shit like PreLoader does. Its in otherwords, less intrusive. However I always have BootMii on BOOT2 with a 5 sec autoboot system menu. Just incase something does go tits up, I can still get BootMii to restore.

BootMii, IMHO, is more then enough protection.

I wouldn't recommend Banana Patcher personally. I think its pointless and defeats the purpose if you have to launch it each time. Start Patch is the best PreLoader replacement IMHO.

mousex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Logan said:
But I wanted to try Waninkoko's theme thing. I was told it doesn't work with PreLoader. Hence uninstalling PreLoader.
His Menupatcher loads the SM from card even with Preloader installed (at least here).
QUOTE(Logan @ Aug 2 2009, 04:39 PM) Start Patch is the best PreLoader replacement IMHO.
Do you know how to "Ignore the Standbysetting" and always shutdown without Preloader, would be nice to know.

HiBit

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
mousex said:
His Menupatcher loads the SM from card even with Preloader installed (at least here).
How you do that?

Yesturday i try'd it but it didn't work for me if preloader is installed.

I put the 0000007b.app as 00000001.app the to my sd card in titles/... and it didn't work.

If i remove preloader it work.

Dan_Aykroyd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thin I'd like to install Preloader for (already have BootMii as boot2) is to have it autostart some application instead of the system menu (USB Loader, or Crazy Intro to quickly start an app).

There isn't other tool besides it that'd do this, right? I already use StartPatch for patches, so I feel it's kind of a waste to install Preloader just for the autostart.

Logan: did you use it to autostart something? If so, what do you do know?

Thanks

mousex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HiBit said:
How you do that?

Yesturday i try'd it but it didn't work for me if preloader is installed.

I put the 0000007b.app as 00000001.app the to my sd card in titles/... and it didn't work.

If i remove preloader it work.
I just put the whole FS dump onto the root of my Wii SD card. Then I ran the tool and it loaded the Wii Menu. Without the file on my Card it gave code dump.
QUOTE(RohitVerma @ Aug 2 2009, 08:01 PM) NOW YOU TELL ME THIS? NOW?
Yes, he does.

Logan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Dan_Aykroyd said:
The only thin I'd like to install Preloader for (already have BootMii as boot2) is to have it autostart some application instead of the system menu (USB Loader, or Crazy Intro to quickly start an app).

There isn't other tool besides it that'd do this, right? I already use StartPatch for patches, so I feel it's kind of a waste to install Preloader just for the autostart.

Logan: did you use it to autostart something? If so, what do you do know?

Thanks

No mate, not found anything that will load a file at boot. Kinda wish BootMii had this feature really. But like you, I'm not gonna install PreLoader just for that feature. Now its off my system, unless I really absolutely have to, I'll not be putting it back on again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM