Hacking How To Softmod (Hack) Your PSP

ppkhoa

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have a small question to ask: If I have a PSP Go with 6.35 on it, with 05g motherboard and never been on firmware 6.20, can I downgrade it ?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
ppkhoa said:
I have a small question to ask: If I have a PSP Go with 6.35 on it, with 05g motherboard and never been on firmware 6.20, can I downgrade it ?
If the PSP itself has never been on 6.20 or less, then no.

However all Gos with 05g should have come with less than 6.20 (5.70 specifically), so ask whoever you got it from to make sure.

ppkhoa

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Assume that mine can be downgraded to 6.20, the current firmware is 6.35, do I need to update to 6.39 and then downgrade to 6.20 or just downgrade straight to 6.20 without updating to 6.39

Akuma147

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I bought a PSP 3001 with 6.31 on craigslist and I don't know whether 6.20 was on it or not. Is there a way to check to see if I can downgrade to 6.20?

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Akuma147 said:
I bought a PSP 3001 with 6.31 on craigslist and I don't know whether 6.20 was on it or not. Is there a way to check to see if I can downgrade to 6.20?
My advice: just skip PSPident and update to 6.39 (you're gonna have to upgrade the OFW to get cfw anyway), install PRO 6.39, and check System Information for your module number.

less than 7g means you can downgrade to 6.20
if not, just stay there and be happy, you're not really missing anything important .

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great tut, Rydian. I just successfully downgraded my new/used PSP 3000 from 6.37 to 6.20 and installed the permanent CFW.
smile.gif
I even managed to pick up a PhotoFast CR-5400 msd to ProDuo adapter and got a class2 SanDisk 32GB msd working on my PSP. I saw some 16GB class4's go on sale recently at RadioShack for $25 a pop and was wondering if two class4 16GB msds would be better/worst/same as the aforementioned. Adv/?

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi, I've run into some problems.
I successfully hacked 3 PSPs so far.
One was an old 1000, and two brand new 3000s.
Today I was trying to hack my nephew PSP 2000.
I checked the firmware on it , and it was 6.38. Naturally I run the downgrader, and I found out that it had a 2g board, wich should be fully hackable.
I successfully put an official 6.20 firmware on it , and preceded to install 6.20 PRO B8.
I put all the files in the right folders ( \psp\games\) and the permanent patch, but when I try to run the updater, it gets stucked on a black screen.
I tried a couple of times, always afraid of a brick, and then I checked the files on the card.
I found out that the PSP was previously hacked ( with an old Prometheus firmware or something ) but then it was accidentally updated to 6.38 trough an UMD update.
Re-reading the guide, I found out that in order to properly install official 6.20, older CFW was supposed to be removed, but I entirely skipped this step because the FW was already 6.38.
Now I'm on 6.20, but the 6.20B 8 updater simply doesn't work, I get a black screen everytime.
I even updated to 6.39, and then downgraded to 6.20 and retried, but still no luck.
Does anybody know what else can I do ? I suspect the updater doesn't work because 6.20 is not properly installed, but I'm not too sure what can I do at this point.
I would appreciate any help.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Arm73 said:
Hi, I've run into some problems.
I successfully hacked 3 PSPs so far.
One was an old 1000, and two brand new 3000s.
Today I was trying to hack my nephew PSP 2000.
I checked the firmware on it , and it was 6.38. Naturally I run the downgrader, and I found out that it had a 2g board, wich should be fully hackable.
I successfully put an official 6.20 firmware on it , and preceded to install 6.20 PRO B8.
I put all the files in the right folders ( \psp\games\) and the permanent patch, but when I try to run the updater, it gets stucked on a black screen.
I tried a couple of times, always afraid of a brick, and then I checked the files on the card.
I found out that the PSP was previously hacked ( with an old Prometheus firmware or something ) but then it was accidentally updated to 6.38 trough an UMD update.
Re-reading the guide, I found out that in order to properly install official 6.20, older CFW was supposed to be removed, but I entirely skipped this step because the FW was already 6.38.
Now I'm on 6.20, but the 6.20B 8 updater simply doesn't work, I get a black screen everytime.
I even updated to 6.39, and then downgraded to 6.20 and retried, but still no luck.
Does anybody know what else can I do ? I suspect the updater doesn't work because 6.20 is not properly installed, but I'm not too sure what can I do at this point.
I would appreciate any help.
Have you disabled all plugins and reset vsh? (some people even recommend removing the entire seplugins folder)

Sometimes they can interfere with cfw and cause black screening.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Jolan said:
Plugins don't work on a PSP with no CFW.
I suggest you try to Format Settings from the System Settings menu first, then run the 6.20 pro-b8 update.

Well that DID it, after resetting the System Settings I was able to successfully flash the 6.20 proB8 update.
Everything works fine so far.
Thanks a lot !

Kadin

Ain't no rest for the wicked...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Rydian! Worked perfectly on my 2k1. Downgraded from 6.39 and applied the perm mod without a hitch. Great work for an easy to follow guide!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night.