Hacking How To Softmod (Hack) Your PSP

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
ISO compatibility (as in PSP games) is as perfect (or as close to...can't think of a problem game at the moment but it's possible....) as anyone would want across all PSP models. A PSP Go is less compatible with with PSX games however due to an inability to fully utilise popsloader.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ISO compatibility (as in PSP games) is as perfect (or as close to...can't think of a problem game at the moment but it's possible....) as anyone would want across all PSP models. A PSP Go is less compatible with with PSX games however due to an inability to fully utilise popsloader.
That's good to hear. Thanks! Also, am I right in thinking that 6.60 CFW doesn't exist for the PSP go yet?

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Perhaps it's unwise to recommend 6.60 on the PSP Go if he's on 6.20 or lower? 6.60 won't give him the ability to perm since he can't use cIPL.
Unfortunately I don't have a PSP Go yet so I'm just doing some research. I would prefer a 6.60 as a perm mod.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps it's unwise to recommend 6.60 on the PSP Go if he's on 6.20 or lower? 6.60 won't give him the ability to perm since he can't use cIPL.
Unfortunately I don't have a PSP Go yet so I'm just doing some research. I would prefer a 6.60 as a perm mod.
There's really no disadvantage to having perm 6.20 on the psp go. You can fake your version for the PSN store to make it think it's on 6.60 if that is even needed anymore. It's just a higher number, everything else is the same, no?

I'm running pro c 6.20 permanent on a Go and it's perfect.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Sony jumped right from 6.39 to 6.60 in their numbering for some reason, you're not missing much. Only like half the PSPs out there (well, less I think) can use the 6.60 perm, and those are all the older models that haven't been sold in years, so you're going to be getting a used one if you demand 6.60 perm for some reason.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country

I don't like the permanence method of the 6.20 exploit, and opt for the temporary firmware solution myself (on my Go that is...everything is is still M33). Personally i'd rather the option to load CFW rather than use an exploit to cheat my way into it at launch, and for anyone to be impatient enough to be irritated about a few seconds every once in a while is beyond me. I'm pretty sure my stance has always been just use the temporary rather than the power exploit.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And (hopefully) the last question before I actually go on a PSP Go impulse buy. If the PSP Go that I buy has a 6.60 firmware installed, does that mean there's a 50/50 chance that it could've been updated from a 6.20 and I can downgrade it or is there a chance it won't work?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Any PSP Go can be downgraded to 6.20.

But i'd really like to stress the importance of ensuring you're happy with the controls and form factor of the Go. The loss of Popsloader/PSX compatibility is a blow but endurable, but the useless nub and cramped controls are an insult to the preceding models.

For instance - http://webshop.cashconverters.co.uk/auction-item/457212/sony-psp-3003-game-console-red

You gamble on permanent CFW but gain a better gaming experience.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The analog isn't too bad, for the standard game. It's games that need the d-pad to turn the camera, and the analog to move that cause problems.
"The claw" method is awkward to use on the Go.
tumblr_m8euj7Mp8I1r5n0t0o1_500.jpg

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for all the input. Looks like the PSP Go won't be replacing my old PSP anytime soon but it is nice to be armed with some knowledge in the event of finding a dirt cheap one for sale.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, to keep this as short and sweet as possible for all...

My first PSP Go bit the bucket... namely, it wouldn't charge at all anymore. By sheer luck, I manage find a re-manufactured PSP go to replace it with. It came with 6.60 installed, but so far I had no problem with downgrading to 6.20, and installing PRO-C on it in perma-mode.

Problem is, I use MAC Address filtering for my wireless b router, since the thing fails to connect to my wireless g router every time. how can I find the MAC Address of my new PSP Go to get it online?

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, Rydian. That helped me get it online :)

One more thing; I noticed in the settings there was something about "memory stick speedup"... now, I know this would matter more to standard PSP units, but what all would this do for the PSP Go? Would enabling this on my PSP Go affect loading stuff in/out of the system memory? And further, would it affect battery life measurably ?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
And further, would it affect battery life measurably ?

No. The change is merely a single prx that was implemented in the 3.80 firmware by Sony (the change for the worse that is). It's simply changing the memory stick driver to something that worked better in the past. Unless you can find documentation somewhere that 3.80 OFW increased battery life (it didn't) then there's absolutely no evidence to suggest any battery impact. Also because it is a MS driver (or so i'm led to believe) i see no reason why it should have any impact on the Go's internal memory.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJewzRHdH8c