How to setup an external USB drive

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by carmenwii, Aug 18, 2011.

Aug 18, 2011
  1. carmenwii
    OP

Newcomer carmenwii Newbie

United States
    I've been sifting through the tutorials on YouTube so that I can attach a 500GB external hard drive to my Wii, but each video seems to point to different files and processes.

Is there a definitive guide that I should follow to complete this task?

My Wii is as 4.3U. It has been soft modded using Letterbomb and I have both the Homebrew channel and BootMii installed. The backup Wii games are in .iso format on my XP computer. I'm just not sure how to proceed from here.

Thank you

2. zizer

Member zizer GBAtemp Addict

3. carmenwii
    OP

Newcomer carmenwii Newbie

United States
    Thank you Zizer. I've got the files on my hard drive and connected my USB drive to the Wii. When I go to the Homebrew channel, I just see bubbles rather then a list of games. Is there something more that I need to install?

4. zizer

Member zizer GBAtemp Addict

5. 1ronlung

Member 1ronlung GBAtemp Regular

United States
    in short, buy a SD card and run the modmii app in the stickies for this forum [​IMG]

6. AvyTech

Newcomer AvyTech Newbie

United States
    I'm a newb, too, so someone else can correct me if I miss something.

It seems we modded our Wiis the same way.

I also DLd and installed the recommended AppPack. It includes an app called USB Loader. That app is pretty much right in front of your face once installed. I haven't tried to play any games via USB, but I've been watching movies and listening to music successfully. Good luck.

And in regard to reading... I scoured forum after forum after website for like a week before I putting on my big girl panties and modding my wii. Great success, but there is such a thing as information overload. If you're like me, take a day off. If you're just being lazy and asking before reading, that's just lame.