Hacking How to set an external HDD for PS3 use

Sephtenshi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey y'all, sorry for the thousandth post these past few days but I've been trying to understand how to set my external HDD to play PS3 backups with no luck.

I've read all the tutorials but all I see is how to backup disc games etc.

I don't know if I'm stupi of I'm just not reading the right info but I REALLY don't get what to do.

I DID, however, manage to set my 1Tb Seagate to FAT32 (since it seems to be the favorite format).

It's completely clean but I don't get how to transfer the files. I have a "GAMEZ" folder but I don't know how to set the subfolders. With the Wii I'd just use the "Wii backup manager" and it did all the rest automatically. Doesn't the PS3 not have a similar manager? I'v downloaded some games to do a test transfer but I couldn't get to it because I don't get how to set the folders.

And if not, how do I find a game's specific code (all the BLES and BLUS stuff). And when splitting files do they automatically create separate folder? AAAh. Sorry, I've been reading a lot about PS3 homebrew these past few days but as I said, I'm either kinda stupid or not reading well enough because I'm finding myself at quite a loss.

Sorry for the ranting and any inconvenience and I appreciate any help. Thank you very much.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might look into NTFS as a file system, you avoid the problem of files larger than 4GB's and it's a little more stable than Fat32.

The latest Iris Manager has "experimental" support for writing NTFS files directly to a USB drive and Multiman has supported reading from NTFS drives for a long time.

Not much to setting up a drive, just plug it into your PC make a folder called /games or /gamez

sub folders really don't need to be named anything specific, if you rip your game with multiman it will have a name like BLUS2036 or BLES3605 depending on your region. (You can even change the region of a game but that's a little complex for you just starting out.) just toss that folder inside the /games so it will look like /games/bles3605 (ignore the folders inside the actual game folder until you know what your doing just leave the structure alone.) At this point if you want as a bit of advice I would rename your game to something you can read.... If you rip say Call of Duty 26 and it is called BLUS3985. I would rename that folder BLUS3985-Call of Duty 26 The game will load fine and if for some reason you want to change something in the game (mod a file) you will not have to try to figure out what game is what later on (it's not too hard you just type the BLUS3457 in google and it will tell you "Barbie: Crab Lice Shampoo Adventures." but if you name the file as you go alone it can save you some time later on.

Down the road you will want to download Aldos Tools for the PS3, has lots of handy things for cheats or region changing and decrypting game saves and like 10,000 other tasks all in one neat package.

Edit: If you decide to stick with Fat32, Multiman will split files for you automatic like, if you are trying to transfer them from a PC you will probably need that Aldos Tools program and run your games through the split. You can also use Multiman to FTP games to your PS3 but I am not sure it will split games automatic that way or not.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
PS3 cannot launch backup on NTFS. Firmware itself has no support for NTFS. Multiman and Iris Manager have software support that allows you to read NTFS drive as archive. It is meant to copy whatever is on NTFS drive onto internal PS3 drive so you can launch games internally.

You can only launch games externally if the drive is FAT32 to begin with. PS3 is rather picky about how FAT32 was set up. For best compatibility use MBR and one logical/extended partition of FAT32.

Reactions: Sephtenshi

Sephtenshi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Ok, thank you very much! But I still have the problem of not understanding how to transfer the files. You say multiman will rip the files for me. But I'm not backing them up from a disc. I'm doing a it from a download. How will multiman rip a game from a PC?

(I understand multiman is a ps3 app, right?)

Downloading Aldos Tool to see how it works.

Sephtenshi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't know if I'm not understadning it, but I couldn't find any tools that transfer PS3 game downloads from PC to Ext. HDD while creating and naming the folders (suchs as wii backup manager did).

Guess I'll just look manually for each game ID lol

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS3 cannot launch backup on NTFS. Firmware itself has no support for NTFS. Multiman and Iris Manager have software support that allows you to read NTFS drive as archive. It is meant to copy whatever is on NTFS drive onto internal PS3 drive so you can launch games internally.

You can only launch games externally if the drive is FAT32 to begin with. PS3 is rather picky about how FAT32 was set up. For best compatibility use MBR and one logical/extended partition of FAT32.

Actually it can launch games from an external NTFS drive,

http://www.ps3hax.net/2013/11/exclu...unter-for-cobra-7-0-4-46-cfw-by-captaincps-x/

All the relevant information is there, the huge ass downside is that it looks like you need a cobra USB dongle thing. (at least for now.)

Edit: Things move a lot faster than I had imagined.

http://tortuga-cove.com/hacking/ps3...0662-ps3-software-hacks-unofficial-cobra-7-00

Install this CFW that other manager type program I linked and you get NTFS loading from USB of PS3 ISO's (PS2 and PS1 ISO's as well but PS2 only if you have a BC PS3.)

Best part of that new CFW is no cobra dongle required.

Reactions: Sephtenshi

imgoodatbricking

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Is it possible to use ext hdd to get hfw on my ps3. I have lost my usb stick and cant afford to get a new one but i have both an external hdd and a ssd

Aew4life

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to use ext hdd to get hfw on my ps3. I have lost my usb stick and cant afford to get a new one but i have both an external hdd and a ssd
use mini partition tool to create a mbr ntsf format for the hdd I made a 4tb as mbr work on the ps3 perfectly oh and 32k for allocation.

Reactions: Magsor

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/5eLWoy0fFkc?si=1vvQ_2zAUlF1ThoD