How to Screw up Like IGN

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by FireGrey, Feb 12, 2011.

Feb 12, 2011

How to Screw up Like IGN by FireGrey at 10:46 AM (2,723 Views / 0 Likes) 29 replies

1. FireGrey
    OP

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    Source

David from that site is getting power to his head(power being a popular site ofcourse)
    First he says that the Sony NGP sucks, then he says that IGN Screwed Up.
    I told him this and he Replied:

Everyone makes mistakes, no-one can be perfect. Anyway you are one to talk [​IMG]
    Which is why I said in the article that I make mistakes. [​IMG] But I also am very clear about when I make mistakes. As far as I can tell IGN simply removed the statements without any clarification.

To me, the site is getting washed up now.
    It seems he is gaining lots of Fans and Trolls from these little hates on things.
    This whole situation is ripping up his site.

2. Clydefrosch

Member Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Germany
    video game journalism...

i mean, wtf do you even expect?
    its all about getting free samples and many many pageviews

who care's if you have to take something back? every newssite announced the pokemon with 3ds features and sourced back to them. they got what they wanted

and it will happen again and again

3. RNorthex

Member RNorthex GBAtemp Fan

Hungary
    ign screwed up, after some of the best writers/reviewers left, the site sucks hard

4. FireGrey
    OP

Australia
    IGN is still better then most internet gaming news site.
    Every site screws up sometimes.

5. Gamespot's better than IGN.

6. antwill

Member antwill Better Than You

Australia
    People actually read IGN news? I mean and to think I thought Kotaku was bad, but come on, you're just asking for it if you read IGN...

7. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    No offense but I think IGN is more reliable than a site called "ninendo3dsblog" that basically just reposts news from other sites. It's like GBAtemp but run by amateurs and without any of the popularity.

Seriously, every time I see someone post "nintendo3dsblog" as a source I ask them to get another source.

8. FireGrey
    OP

Australia
    lol if they read 3ds blog anyway they can see that the site says source usually.
    So they should do it from where 3ds blog got it from.
    EDIT: Also i find it Hilarious he is saying this about IGN when he gets heaps of his info from there [​IMG]

9. FireGrey
    OP

Australia
    let me repeat, most...

10. DavidTurnbull

Newcomer DavidTurnbull Newbie

Australia
    I can definitely see where you're coming from, although in my defence:

1. That "Sony NGP Sucks" thing was always meant to be a joke. That's why I made the part two to specifically clarify that.
    2. IGN handled the situation poorly, which is what irritated me. They didn't acknowledge that they'd posted misinformation, but simply removed the incorrect statements.

But, that said, when I read your post I felt defensive, which is usually a sign that I am in the wrong, and I should take note of it. And now I feel like quite the douche as the whole point I started the site was so I could entertain people with my interest in Nintendo handhelds, but that has been de-railed by me going after easy laughs and trying to sound important.

I'll keep your thoughts in mind and hopefully I can tone back the arrogance. :-)

@Guild McCommmunist - That's fair enough. There are some readers who hype the site up to be more than it is. But I don't want to be a journalist or anything, and I really just use the blog as a way to write about the news and rumors that I find interesting.

11. antwill

Australia
    That doesn't change or undermine what he said at all.

12. TheTwoR's

Member TheTwoR's Yay I can finally edit this thingy :D

Belgium
    Apparently not GBAtemp [​IMG]

13. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    OHNOEZ!

It's not even a big mistake, for either of them. The writer's mind slipped, thinking about how B/W had DSi exclusive features, and simply forgot that the 3DS will not have its eshop on day one.

It happens.

Don't fight the man because the man makes a tiny mistake.

14. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    IGN isn't known for being reputable so I'm not surprised. IGN sucks as a gaming site. 'Nuff said.
    Nintendo3DSBlog is a decent site. I go there as well as other places (GoNintendo, Nintendo World Report, etc.) to get 3DS news. I'm actually looking forward to the Japanese 3DS unboxing that he'll be doing soon.

15. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
  16. Juanmatron

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
    Classic Game Room and Angry Video Game Nerd are the best.

17. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    IGN has some of the shittiest reviews out there. I haven't played God Hand yet (send me a copy!) but it's pretty popular in a cult sort of way, and certainly not for being bad. Giving No More Heroes a 7.9/10 (for the US review at least) was a complete joke too. Even if the gameplay is a tad repetitive and the open world aspects suck, the stylings of the game (graphics are pretty unique, soundtrack is amazing, story and characters are whacky and fun) and solid mix of button-mashing and motion-controlled combat make it deserve at least a 9/10 in my opinion.

IGN still is decently reliable on news though and are still a first-hand source.

18. antwill

Australia
    And there you have the source of every review, ever written. The writers opinion... Trying to argue with them over something you disagree with is just fkn stupid. They made up their mind on what they thought of it, and they scored it how they thought it should be. It's not like they're thinking "Oh shit I think this game sucked, better give it a 9/10 or internet fanboys will be mad!"...

19. FireGrey
    OP

Australia
    Great, i hope you can get the site into a nice site to grab all the info about the 3ds together without saying bad things about things.
    Anyway you say it anyway, people WILL be stretching it into something bigger than it is.
    Anyway my name is David aswell [​IMG]

20. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    IGN used to be my favorite gaming site, but now their reviews tend to more personal than should be to a professional and they tend to be a bit impulsive at times (ie. this thread.). Don't get me wrong, they're a great gaming site, but at times it's hard to love them. My main site for reviews now is Blistered Thumbs, for various reasons.