How to rip PS1/PS2 games to PS3?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Elliander, Mar 17, 2013.

Mar 17, 2013
  1. Elliander
    OP

Member Elliander GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I have an original first generation PS3 with "Rogero CEX 4.30 v2.05" and "MultiMan 4.20.04" installed and working. I have a very large collection of old PS1 and PS2 discs that I would like to get to work via backup loading, but I can't seem to find reliable information on how to do this.

I read that the only way is with Cobra USB, which apparently has to use it's own CFW with it's dongle sticking out at all times. Is that really the only way? If so, are there any groups working on backwards compatibility that I should just wait for?

I read that I could use "React PSN" to make PSN games work, so could I possibly rip a PS1 or PS2 disc and convert it to a form that would be interpreted as a PSN game? Or is there a PS1/PS2 emulator that can use the backwards compatible hardware to run it that I could install?

2. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    ReactPSN is for backup/pirated PSN downloads.

You can rip both PS1 and PS2 game on PC with a DVD drive. Multiman and Iris manager cannot load PS2 backups. On top of my head best way to load PS2 backup is to buy Swap Magic and use it to load OpenPS2 loader (you have to mount PS2 ISO over SMB).

3. Elliander
    OP

United States
    I looked up Swap Magic. Does it have to run from the USB, or can I install it on the internal hard drive? I found a video showing that a PS3 can load PS2 .iso files if you have the Emotion Chip (which I do). Is this OpenPS2 loader? I can't seem to find a link to that though.

I looked up Iris Manager v1.25 (that's the latest, right?). What can Iris load that multiMAN can't? Or does it load the same stuff?

I did find out that the Cobra was reverse engineered - are there any features that OpenCobra would have that I should wait for? I am not opposed to paying for a dongle, but I don't like the idea of my console only working properly when a dongle is inserted.

EDIT: Looks like Iris Manager v1.52 can load PS1 .iso files. yay!

4. trumpet-205

United States
    Swap Magic is a custom made PS2 disc that in the eyes on PS2 and PS3, is an authentic disc. You use it to load Open PS2 loader. You can load game via USB or SMB but USB loading will be much slower since PS2 mode will drop USB to USB 1.1.

Iris and Multiman can only load PS1 and PS3. Latest Iris manager is 2.21.

Cobra dongle requires Cobra CFW and Cobra mmCM. Until OpenCobra releases anything don't count on it.

Which brings me back to this, PS3 Phat is good for legit PS2 game disc. But if you want to load PS2 backup a PS2 console is better off.

5. Elliander
    OP

United States
    Looks like some interesting information was released 2 days ago.

6. trumpet-205

United States
    That information doesn't help you because that is for PS2 Classic (PSN bought PS2 games).

7. Maverick Lunar X

Member Maverick Lunar X GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Psionic Roshambo likes this.